Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Starforce forum hacked or bad joke?

Experienced User

Looks like the Starforce forum is hacked again. But this time it contains a trojan. If you're using IE, DON'T go to the Starforce forum, cause it will crash your PC.

Quite funny how people who are in the software protection business can not even keep a forum running.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reef
    Quite funny how people who are in the software protection business can not even keep a forum running.
    Looks like they need to outsource their forum security or have some auditing company take over. I don't blame them for getting hacked though: they're a huge target.

So wow, looks like if a hacker overwrites your Invision's index.php file the entire forum is taken offline.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Experienced User

All they need to do is update Invision to the latest version, which takes about 10 minutes. Their forum was already hacked last week (when someone took over Nerva's account), so they should be aware there's a security hole in it.

New User

Hi all!

1. We'v applied all offical IPB's secutiry patches.
    2. Every forum engines with open source engine has security holes and backdoors, never mind how often developers release security patches. To prevent all threats you have to wright your own forum engine or modify the existing one.
    3. I'm going to have some rest, so this is the best moment to make over our forum to avoid hacker's attaks in future.

Regards

Master

Looky here, it's Nerva. Hey Nerva, I had a question for you (assuming you are really the same Nerva). Well, not so much a question, just a comment in the form of a picture (because a picture really does say a thousand words). You really didn't comment much on the SF forums and promptly closed the thread when someone asked you about it. Any comments here? Note particularly the highlighted line.

New User

Jito463
    I'v already commented what i mean under "less destructive". I have nothing to add.
    Also i have to add that possibly we will wright our own forum engine, so "Under constraction" on our forum section could be slightly delayed.

Experienced User

This 'autoremove service' is a joke. If it was only used to auto remove drivers, then games should still run without problems if this service is disabled/removed. But they don't.

So my conclusion is that this service also acts as an 'autoRUN drivers'.
    My thread about this subject got deleted on the SF forum, and I doubt Nerva will ever answer anyone here.

New User

its not a joke
    service is working good

how it works:

- first of all you have to be sure that there is no 3.xx drivers on your computer, coz servise couldnt remove it
    - simply use sfdrvrem tool to remove all drivers
    - reboot
    - install any SF v4.xx protected game (FlatOut2 for instance)
    - first run/reboot
    - there will be sfrem.exe in Winopws/system32 folder, 3 drivers in Windows/system32/drivers forlder and SF autoremove serveice in services panel. Also there will be some registry enters. This service is stopped, coz it only works during startup and then get stopped.
    - uninstall the FlatOut2. Now there is no any 4.xx protected game installed on your machine
    - reboot. Service disappeared, drivers was deleted from the HDD, but some of them still occupay memory. sfrem.exe is present. But dont worry! On this reboot Windows just marks drivers as to be deleted.
    - reboot
    - now you have completely SF free system - no drivers, no registry enters

This the way how its work.

Sry everybody, but i couldnt answer your questions next 2 weeks, will be far far away from there. ;p

Default ...

Reef- this 'autoremove service' looks like a good idea. It seems that on the 3rd boot you'll only have sfrem.exe left in some temp folder.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Experienced User

I agree with Underheaven.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast