• Show
Clear All

For A/V: can't decide what I like best.
    For firewall: I use Outpost firewall.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by DomiOh
      Norton IS made my computer terrible slow.
      I use ZoneAlarm and BitDefender.
      Kapersky Antivirus makes my computer crash with a BSOD every boot.
      There was a time when zonealarm was good. that is over! So you too might consider looking for another FW.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...ringley_1.html
      http://www.a1-electronics.net/Genera...rity_Nov.shtml

ok most of you are using NOD32, so i guess it is good? Personally i have never heard of it till this second. Any idea where i can find a review on it or can any of you say in a couple of short sentenses why they feel/know it is better than others?

I will also try to find more info on outpost and Appdefend.
      Thx all!
      Last edited by DarkG; 07.08.2006, 21:52.

Comment

NOD32 reviews:
        PC Mag
        AV Software Review
        My sysProfile!

Comment

NOD32 is generally prefered by the 'gamer' community because of its VERY low usage of CPU resources and memory.

My Freeware Toolbox:
          I use AVG Free and Ewido for my Anti-Virus/Anti-Trojan combo
          I use Adaware/Spybot for my Anti-Spyware needs
          I use use Windows Built-in Firewall + a Hardware Router with Firewall as well.
          I also use WinPatrol to let me know when something is trying to sneak in.
          And don't forget Blacklight and Rootkit Revealer for those up and coming Rootkits...

But to defend McAfree's Site Advisor for a moment--no one is perfect and mistakes are made. I've no doubt that McAfree is getting hammered from EVERYONE that they've 'blacklisted' because no purveyor of Spyware/Adware actually has Spyware/Adware--it's all "useful utilities". In the case of D-Tools we all know it is a valid argument that D-Tools should not be listed...but the cries to get D-Tools off the list is getting drowned out by everyone else trying to get off the list as well.

I think Site Advisor is a good idea for the masses of 'Sheep' out there that don't have a clue about browsing safe... I won't be a user of Site Advisor...and probably none of us here will be either...but I personal think it would be a great product for less tech savy individuals--for instance, our 'mothers'.

One of the 'advisors' to the Site Advisor program is Ben Edelman, who has a GREAT blog on 'following the money trail' of Spyware. http://www.benedelman.org/. There's a great video showing how an unsecured PC (without SP2 or security updates) gets a ton of malware automatically installed on it--just by being connected to the internet....

Jito463: Are you using the paid version of AppDefend or the Freeware Post-Trial version? I'm curious what abilities are still available after the trial period ended. I'm not familar with the Ghost products...but they seem quite nice.

Comment

Avast and Sygate are my favorite. I tried a lot of different AVs and Firewalls, and settled with these two.

Comment

Originally Posted by Zyxthior
              Jito463: Are you using the paid version of AppDefend or the Freeware Post-Trial version? I'm curious what abilities are still available after the trial period ended. I'm not familar with the Ghost products...but they seem quite nice.
              I purchased a license for it, though I only really use it for monitoring outbound traffic. This program can do so much more than that, but most of it is disabled.

Comment

Hm, I think I will drop Kerio and start using Monowall and something like AppDefender.

@Jito: How long do you use AppDefender? Any problems with it? I ask because I never heard of it before.
                Last edited by FordPrefect; 26.08.2006, 12:03.

Comment

imho, such attempt like McAfee did is a good way to implement
                  some kind of censorship to the net, especially when such
                  company like Microsoft implement it in OS.

Then sooner or later pages are listed that do not contain
                  adware/spyware, it will soon go in a direction that noone
                  here or somewhere else want. It will follow Sysinternal-
                  Strategies then, to discredit one site until this site dissapears

...only MY 2 cent

Comment

Originally Posted by FordPrefect
                    @Jito: How long do you use AppDefender? Any problems with it? I ask because I never heard of it before.
                    I've used for about 1 1/2 months now, stripped down to strictly outbound traffic monitoring. The only problem I had with it was after registering the product I kept getting prompts to buy both AppDefend and RegDefend (the other product in the suite I downloaded that's completely disabled). But I'm also using the 64-bit beta version, and it's since stopped doing that, so I'm not sure what the problem was there.

Comment

Working...
                    X