Possible Battlefield 1942 Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Battlefield 1942 Bug

A few weeks ago I decided to install BF1942 back on my system and play some Desert Combat (for a change of pace from playing BF2 all the time). I installed with my CD's, installed all the patches, installed DC .7 and installed DC Final.

My system would randomly freeze up (usually when joining a server or switching to the next map). I would be able to "Alt-Tab" out and see an unfamilar process running called "BlackScreen.exe". The exe file also exists in the BF1942 directory. From doing research around the web it appears this file is related to SafeDisc (the copy protection that BF1942 uses).

In the past (pre DT 4) I had never had an issue with mounting my BF1942 and playing the game. The only way to stop BF1942 from 'freezing' up in this fashion was to disable DT4 and use the physical CD. Other games (such as the newer BF2) mount just fine have not issues. I hadn't seen this particular issue before (doing a Blackscreen.exe search on DTools Website didn't yield any results).

Prior to disabling D-Tools I had uninstalled, reinstalled, redownloaded all the patches and mods (to ensure something hadn't gotten corrupt) but it all yielded the same 'freezing' results until I disabled D-Tools 4.03.

Anyone else experience this anomoly.

My hardware specs:
    Athlon XP 3200
    DFI nForce 2 Mobo (using nVidia's special IDE drivers)
    2GB Corsair XMS Memory
    2x74GB Raptors in RAID 0
    6800 Ultra AGP
    Windows XP SP2 (fully updated)
    Fully up to date nVidia Mobo and Graphics Card drivers

This IS in fact a problem, and I've tested it on 3 systems with TOTALLY different configs.

System 1:
    AMD Athlon XP 2600 (266)
    1GB DDR 2666
    NVidia GeForce 7800 GS
    Sound Blaster Audigy4

System 2:
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    512MB DDR 400
    (dont know what mobo, its a Dell)
    NVidia GeForce 5500
    Onboard Sound

System 3 (Laptop)
    Intel Pentium M 1.6 Ghz
    Dont know what mobo (once again, Dell)
    1GB RAM
    Onboard Intel graphics (mind you, this can handle Unreal Tournament 2004 wih NO issues)
    Onboard Sound

All using the latest daemon tools

The point of this setup was so I could play in online games with my friends here (we all have our own keys), this has worked flawlessly in the past. We stopped playing, and now we're trying to play it again.

After playing one game, the game will just go back to the Windows desktop, and you CANNOT go back into the game without having either restarted the computer, OR remounting the image.

I find it odd that these machines, with totally different setups are having the exact same problem. First the images were made using CloneCD a long time ago, and I remade them with A120% using the safedisc 2/3 profile. I also used curerom with these new images, and the problem still remains.

Comment

Have you tried using SDHide as well?

I haven't yet, because for other games using a more current version of SafeDisc, I haven't had to because of the alternate nVidia IDE drivers I use (e.g. Civ 4 mounts fine without the use of SDHide....while my friend with a VIA chipset is forced to use SDHide).

Comment

Battlefield 1942 is so old, it does not need any hider or additional tool, SafeDisc had no problems with virtual drive in those days.
        Which patch version do you run? Do you use any emulations?
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I also have BF1942 installed and no problems here. Besides that, latest patch ( 1.6.19 ) removes Copy-Protection.

Comment

Hm, you sure? Just installed 1.6.19 and scan still says SafeDisc 2.80.010 ... also image required to start ...
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

My fault, I only checked the BF1942.exe not the mod.dll and thought only CD-Checks were left :wink:

Comment

Me Too !

I have the same problem, and have had it for weeks.

In the beginning I used Alcohol 120 % to mount the image, and I thought perhaps it was Alcohol causing the problem so I uninstalled that and installed Daemon. The problem stayed.

I have an Opteron 165 on a DFI board, which runs at an overclocked 2600 Mhz. So I downclocked the CPU (& memory) and it the freezing still happens.

Could this be a dual-core CPU problem ? I have the AMD dual-core patch/update. Could this be a DFI problem ? I noticed someone else with the problem has a DFI board.

Sometimes Event Viewer will list an error, sometimes it won't. When it does, it's always this one:

Event Type: Error
                Event Source: Application Error
                Event Category: None
                Event ID: 1000
                Date: 8/25/2006
                Time: 6:50:38 PM
                User: N/A
                Computer: USER_NAME
                Description:
                Faulting application bf1942.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module d3d8.dll, version 5.3.2600.2180, fault address 0x00037bbb.
                Hope this helps find a solution.

Comment

We're currently working on fixing a problem with AMD's dual core optimizer. This might be the cause for your crashes. I'm not sure this is related, but with a dual core Opteron, it might well be.
                  "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

If you're running an Opty, the Dual-Core Optimizer should not be installed. It's only for the X2 line.

Comment

Are you sure ??

If you're running an Opty, the Dual-Core Optimizer should not be installed. It's only for the X2 line.
                      http://www.pureoverclock.com/story.php?id=861

Comment

That's just their wording. If you look on the AMD.com downloads site, the DCO (Dual-Core Optimizer) is listed under the Athlon64/FX downloads and the Athlon64 X2 downloads, but is NOT listed under the Opteron downloads (there is no seperate listing for Opteron DC's). Just because it can be installed on the Opteron DC, does not mean it should be. It can even be installed on an Intel Core Duo according to the article, but that doesn't mean it's supposed to be.

Comment

Uninstalled

I uninstalled the dual-core patch and the freeze problem continues.

The game seems to play longer when I downclock to about 2500 Mhz, but still freezes.

I wonder if it might be the on-board video. I have a DFI RS382 M/B.

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
                            Battlefield 1942 is so old, it does not need any hider or additional tool, SafeDisc had no problems with virtual drive in those days.
                            Which patch version do you run? Do you use any emulations?
                            I was using the 1.6.19 version (the last patch). I was not running any emulations (I never had when using the prior versions of DTools).

I do not believe this is a Dual Core issue as I'm running an old single core Athlon XP.

Comment

Any word on if this will be fixed? I would really like to use dtools 4 (can't run NFS:MW with 3.x) but bf1942 is totally hosed with 4.x. Same problems here. I'm running xp also, on a single core a64.

First run works, after first map change the game crashes. Can't run the game again until i reboot. Totally hosed

Comment

Working...
                              X