A minor idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A minor idea

Perhaps create a thread that explains Daemon for the absolute retard or those who lack any computer sophistication at all? If there already is one, at least make twenty billion links directly to it. Right now I have no idea exactly what Daemon does, and I have read the introduction.

"DAEMON Tools is an advanced application for multiprotection emulation." means diddly squat to me. I have no idea what that is telling me. I am asking to gain laymans knowledge about Daemon (imagine yer trying to tell how Daemon works to a five-year-old) because I need to know whether or not I should get it off my computer. Note, I did not download/install the program, a friend did and never explained it to me before he moved out of state.

It's a virtual drive software. It allows you to mount images of games/programs/data/et al and play it from your computer like you would from a physical CD/DVD player with a physical disc. Or you could just read the Daemon Tools Help page.

This program allows running Backup Copies of SafeDisc (C-Dilla), Securom, Laserlock, CDCOPS, StarForce and Protect CD (and many others) protected games. Also included is a Virtual DVDROM drive (Generic DVD-ROM) enabling you to use your CD images as if they were already burned to CD!

Comment

Freethoughtsrus:

Here's what Microsoft has to say about CD/DVD images that they distribute:

What is an ISO CD Image?
      Products posted to Subscriber Downloads are usually posted as ISO image files. An ISO image file is an exact representation of a CD or DVD, including the content and the logical format. ISO files from Subscriber Downloads end with either an .ISO or .IMG extension. The extension might need to be changed to work with your CD writing software.

Common utilities for writing an ISO file to recordable media such as CD-R include ISORecorder, Nero, and Roxio. The contents of images files can be extracted to hard drive using utilities such as ISObuster or DaemonTools. Image files can be mounted locally using the Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel for Windows XP. For more information about image files, please visit the MSDN FAQ.
      Daemon Tools creates a virtual DVD drive that you can mount ISO files on. It also supports other CD/DVD image file formats that allow copy-protected media to be imaged and mounted on the virtual drive.

Comment

Thank you. Explaining that it makes .ISO files work is a step. However, what do you mean by...

"It also supports other CD/DVD image file formats"

"It allows you to mount images of..."

You are loosing me when you say image. You mean you convert the file from, say, .ISO to .jpg and vice-versa? Provided that the .jpg was already an .ISO to begin with.

If an image is a specific term for a way to read CD's or what represents standard data on a CD, then you'll completely loose me because that technology is way over my head at this point and I really don't care to learn about it.

However, since I do not burn CD's, download music/movies/games/programs (Minus Anarchy Online) or overall seem to have a need for this, thank you for telling me that I don't need it.

Comment

No, not picture image files, cd/dvd image file formats.
          If you'd take a look at the help (see mentioned link above) you'd see DAEMON Tools supports the following image files:
          cue/bin
          iso
          ccd (CloneCD)
          bwt (Blindwrite)
          mds (Media Descriptor File)
          cdi (Discjuggler)
          nrg (Nero)
          pdi (Instant CD/DVD)
          b5t (BlindWrite 5)
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

An image of a CD/DVD contains all the files (and potentially the copy protection) from a CD or DVD within one or two files on your HDD. You can "mount" this image to the virtual drive which makes all those files accessible as if the disc they were on was still in your physical drive.

Comment

Working...
            X