SPTD and Raxco PerfectDisk 8.0 incompatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPTD and Raxco PerfectDisk 8.0 incompatibility

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up on this one. Don't know if many of you use PerfectDisk.

Seems that the newly released Raxco PerfectDisk 8.0 disk defragmenter has a problem running it's OFFLINE Boot time defrag with SPTD on your system.

PD8 wants exclusive control of the system drive and SPTD has it first. Therefore you will get an error when the OFFLINE defrag first starts up. I *think* this only happens to the partition that SPTD is installed in which is the Windows partition.

The workaround is to disable SPTD and then do the OFFLINE defrag. After you are in Windows again you can enable SPTD and reboot. You must enable it and reboot as DT4 won't be active without it.

This applies to Alcohol users as they also use SPTD.

PD7 does not have this problem for some reason. There are also a few other drivers that cause the same problem as SPTD and you can read about them as well at the Raxco site below:

In case anyone gives a rat's behind about this post it seems that you can't do ANY offline defrags with PD8 and SPTD on your system. Boot time AND offline defrags run under XP itself.

I spoke to Raxco support and they have no idea why this is happening with PD8 but didn't happen with PD7.

They seemed to indicate that the developers of SPTD have a new version in testing that let's PD8 work OK.

Comment

Yes, it seems strange that PD7 has no problem with DT, but PD8 can't start an offline defrag. Maybe it has something to do with order in which the programs are installed, since the algorithm which determines the driver loading order in Windows is quite random at times.

Did you have PD7 installed before DT and did you install PD8 last?

Comment

This should be fixed in next release.

Comment

is fixed already, next version which we release soon works
          flawlessly with perfectdisk

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
            This should be fixed in next release.
            Possibly off-topic (although you mentioned the next release, and this IS the OFF-TOPIC section), but will the next version also fix the problems with MacDrive? As I'm sure you know, it also doesn't like the SPTD.
            CLHatch
            To err is human... to really foul up requires a computer.

Comment

Originally Posted by CLHatch
              Possibly off-topic (although you mentioned the next release, and this IS the OFF-TOPIC section), but will the next version also fix the problems with MacDrive? As I'm sure you know, it also doesn't like the SPTD.
              Yes, it should work.

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
                Yes, it should work.
                Good to hear! I happen to have both PD8 and MacDrive installed on my system. Thanks for the quick reply, btw.

And did I actually hear "which we release soon" from LocutusofBorg?!

So, when will DT 5 be out? :P
                CLHatch

Comment

Originally Posted by CLHatch
                  So, when will DT 5 be out? :P
                  It won't be DT 5, that would be a too big jump (from 4.03 to 5?). It'll be sth. like 4.05 or 4.06. And it should be released soon, i think.
                  Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Nice to know it will be fixed soon.

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra
                      It won't be DT 5, that would be a too big jump (from 4.03 to 5?). It'll be sth. like 4.05 or 4.06. And it should be released soon, i think.
                      Oh, I knew that... I was just getting a head-start on asking for the release date of the one AFTER that.
                      CLHatch

Comment

Please dont ask for release dates, we wont give you any other like "when its done".
                        Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                        Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz
                          Please dont ask for release dates, we wont give you any other like "when its done".
                          Sorry, guess the humor of asking for the release date of the release after the coming release was lost... I wasn't being serious.
                          CLHatch

Comment

DT 4.0.6, with the new SPTD, does indeed 'fix' the PerfectDisk problem. Thanks to all.

Comment

DT 4.06 with SPTD 1.29 fixes PerfectDisk 8 but MacDrive 6 is still broken.

I installed the newly minted 4.06 version with sptd 1.29 that promised not to break MacDrive 6, but it still doesn't work. Once I uninstall sptd, Macdrive 6.1.5 mounts hfs+ partitions with no problem. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall Macdrive and it doesn't change anything.

So, does anyone out there have Macdrive 6 working with 4.06?

edit by admin.
                              Last edited by cybrsrce; 04.10.2006, 02:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X