X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daemon333.exe a trojan horse?

i browsed my hd recently and my AntiVir proggy reported this:

simple answer:

no, Daemon Tools isn't a trojan horse, virus or similar malware.
    Your Virusscanner is crap, that's all

You can download daemon333.exe and send it to experts to proof our statements, like symantec or similar institutions

Comment

Setup is packed with winrar, which uses upx. Virus scanners will sometimes claim that upx is a virus because of the way it unpacks.

Comment

Hehehe, what a crap Virusscanner, if every file is identified as virus, simply because it's rar-packed, you can better trust your nose instead of the virusscanner. I prefer f-prot, even Norton Antivirus is a good solution (and moreover doesn't identify daemon tools as virus/trojan)

What's strange is, that your scanner identify our program as trojan - or to be more specific, an icq-flood script, if I understand the message right.
        really strange

Comment

im pleased with it so far... no $ for comercial stuff :/

Comment

It's not my task to tell you what scanner you should use, but if a scanner can't tell the difference between a simply upx-packed archive or a trojan, it isn't even worth $0. At least when it comes to security I prefer professional solutions - that doesn't mean it must cost a thing.

Comment

OMG, yes, there was a free one back several years ago - can't remember the name of it, but it got rave reviews - until some serious testing was done on it. Turned out the author had a falling out with his G/f and the AV program would rename files that had his g/f's name in it . I cannot remember it now, but I recall it came out around the same time as the original F-prot, I think.
              http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Re: daemon333.exe a trojan horse?

Originally Posted by grumpel
                i browsed my hd recently and my AntiVir proggy reported this:

Comment

UPX

The reason your Anti-virii sees UPX as a Trojan is becuase most IRC bots, and warez files are packed with UPX...

So its doing its job.
                  (hope I am not banned for this answer)

Comment

no, we don't ban someone for unprofessional answers. But if you want to
                    be taken serious, you should first READ this thread (because we already
                    mentioned that it's possible that the mentioned scanners simple have a
                    problem with upx-packed files)

and more important, second: this is simple bullshit. Nowadays, many
                    virii comes as .exe files or even crypted .zip-archives. Should it ban all
                    .exe and .zip-archives as well? If a scanner is unable
                    to tell the difference between a upx-packed file and malware, it's worth
                    NOTHING (even if it's a free solution, it's simple crap!)

Maybe I create a new kind of virus-scanner, with a pop-up box in case
                    you download a file: "Warning: You download a file!!!! This file may contain
                    a virus!!! delete it immediately!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X