Just tried 4.0.6 on Vista 5728

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cdrom.sys file goes in \windows\system32\drivers

To rename to file you have to go to Properties of the file, Security, Advanced, Edit, and Ownership where you have to set yourself as the owner of the file.

After this you give yourself "Full control" over the file and THEN you can rename the file.

Still, after all this, I can't assign a drive letter. I pasted the build 5600-file, restarted, installed 4.0.6, restarted and it didn't work.

Comment

can anyone upload the cdrom.sys for vista x64?

Comment

i cannot change owner settings. vista told me no permission. i have disabled dep too. what a stupid thing for me

[edit]

i use the admin account and there i can change it. ok now after a restart my dvd recorder is missing too.

[edit2]

so i have deinstalled the vdrive and my dvd and dtools. after reboot my drive was found with the cdrom.sys of build 5600. i install daemontools and restart my vista. after this the same think i cannot use it
        Last edited by Hanschke; 26.09.2006, 16:49.

Comment

Yes, after replace cdrom.sys, I can't assign a driver letter to the mount point, from device manager, it saids the scsi cdrom can't start.

edit by admin: Please don't post more than once. The forums are moderated which is why your posts don't show up immediately.

Comment

Even when I had turned off DEP it still copied over the 5728 file so I re-copied the 5600 cdrom.sys file after daemon tools was installed and it works.

Comment

The cdrom.sys file posted by NewFrontier worked great for me on Vista 5728 x86. As many seem to be having problems, I'll try and explain what I did.

I installed DT 4.06, which worked fine, just was never able to create a drive letter. Restarted the system. Still no help of course.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Right click on cdrom.sys, go into properties, then advance settings, change ownership to me. Close these windows, then right click on cdrom.sys again. Give myself full read/write access to the file. Close the windows again and finally rename the file to cdrom.old. Now copy over the older cdrom.sys file from Vista build 5600.

I don't know if this next step is necessary, but it may be why the steps work for some people and not others.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository. There will be a directory called cdrom.inf_{string}. Use the above steps to take ownership of the directory, and make it read/write aceessible from your account. Open the directory and take ownership of cdrom.sys if you need to. Delete this file. Copy over the cdrom.sys file from build 5600. Close all windows. Reboot. DT should automatically start and assign a drive letter for you.

If Windows detects different versions of the file in its repository and its Driver folder it may disable loading the driver or insist on loading the wrong version -- at least I guess that could be the problem. Hope this helps people get it working.

Also, it SHOULD be possible for someone to rar or zip their cdrom.inf_{string} folder from build 5600. This should make it possible for everyone to just go to their SCSI Cd-rom device in device manager, choose update driver, then point it wherever they extracted the older files. Much easier than the current method.

Comment

Same error as yours

Comment

Can anyone plz post the cdrom.sys from Build 5600 64bit ?

Comment

Thanks jadedraverla. Method works fine here in 5728. I did add a takeown /f from an administrative command prompt just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally Posted by lordfiSh
                      Can anyone plz post the cdrom.sys from Build 5600 64bit ?
                      Here it is, uploaded by Mystique (RC1 5600 x64):
                      Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Remember to make sure you change the file in the vista windows directory.

I used search and instead of replacing it on Vista I accidently changed it on my dual boot XP partition.

Thank you very much to the person who uploaded the file.

now works pefectly

Comment

I confirm its all good on 5728

Hi all, Thanks for the hints...
                          I put the cdrom.sys driver from 5600 and its all working now
                          Thanks a lot !
                          http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

Anyone get it to work under 64bit? I followed the instructions, but it keeps loading the 5728 driver. I can't seem to force it to load the 5600 driver.

Comment

I did everything possible to fix it. Put the 5600 xd.sys file in the windows system32 driver ,rename the original one as .old...disable dep..but nothing except to make my dvd-drive and dvd-rom not usable...what went wrong with me?

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra
                                Here it is, uploaded by Mystique (RC1 5600 x64):
                                http://rapidshare.de/files/34549463/cdrom.sys.rar
                                I am vista x64 5728

I use this file to overwrite cdrom.sys of 5728,then restart,but both DT406 and my physics DVDrom not working~

all show as: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Comment

Working...
                                X