Just tried 4.0.6 on Vista 5728

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jadedraverla
    The cdrom.sys file posted by NewFrontier worked great for me on Vista 5728 x86. As many seem to be having problems, I'll try and explain what I did.

I installed DT 4.06, which worked fine, just was never able to create a drive letter. Restarted the system. Still no help of course.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Right click on cdrom.sys, go into properties, then advance settings, change ownership to me. Close these windows, then right click on cdrom.sys again. Give myself full read/write access to the file. Close the windows again and finally rename the file to cdrom.old. Now copy over the older cdrom.sys file from Vista build 5600.

I don't know if this next step is necessary, but it may be why the steps work for some people and not others.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository. There will be a directory called cdrom.inf_{string}. Use the above steps to take ownership of the directory, and make it read/write aceessible from your account. Open the directory and take ownership of cdrom.sys if you need to. Delete this file. Copy over the cdrom.sys file from build 5600. Close all windows. Reboot. DT should automatically start and assign a drive letter for you.

If Windows detects different versions of the file in its repository and its Driver folder it may disable loading the driver or insist on loading the wrong version -- at least I guess that could be the problem. Hope this helps people get it working.

Also, it SHOULD be possible for someone to rar or zip their cdrom.inf_{string} folder from build 5600. This should make it possible for everyone to just go to their SCSI Cd-rom device in device manager, choose update driver, then point it wherever they extracted the older files. Much easier than the current method.

You're a PRO my friend! I followed you and all is Ok now but...

I had to take ownership of the file "daemon.exe" and give "Everyone" administrator rights othewise Daemon Tools would'nt start. It would give a permission error. Also, if I try to change an option right clicking the icon in the taskbar like disable "Autostart" for instance, I get a registry permission deny error. If I start daemon.exe in Adinistrator mode (right click daemon.exe and click on "Run as administrator", I can then change options using right click on icon. I then try to find the software key in the registry to give myself Full control but didn't find it. Is it just me?

Comment

I grabbed the x64 version of the RC1 cdrom.sys, granted permissions where neccessary, and replaced the file in both of the locations. When I reboot, vista64 refuses to load cdrom.sys so I don't get any optical drives. Any ideas on what else to try?

Comment

Windows will likely try to replace cdrom.sys with "correct" one. Using "update driver" method might circumvent this.

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
          Windows will likely try to replace cdrom.sys with "correct" one. Using "update driver" method might circumvent this.
          I am just like Aka1nas...does not load cdrom.sys file and my optical drives are not seen...try to update drivers in device manager...still the same...what is wrong with me...am I turning dumb-dumb???

Comment

Originally Posted by aka1nas
            I grabbed the x64 version of the RC1 cdrom.sys, granted permissions where neccessary, and replaced the file in both of the locations. When I reboot, vista64 refuses to load cdrom.sys so I don't get any optical drives. Any ideas on what else to try?
            I am in the same thing then you....i on,y turn off dep after daemon install...could it be the problem??? also I just notice that there is no daemon folder in my program file and neither in the program installed list in control panel though it said that the installation was a success ....I am losing it!!!

Comment

According to Neowin.net, MS released a 5734 build to select testers today, so maybe they are aware of the issue.

Comment

I, too, can confirm that Fronter's 5600 x86 cdrom.sys works fully with Vista build 5728. Fronter, you're a life-saver!

BTW, there's a much easier way to revert the file than changing ownerships and permissions and whatnot. On the Vista DVD, you can boot directly to a commandline. There, just replace the file in the two necessary directories (what I did).

Seems to work, in any case.

Comment

I made a bat file for the x86 edition:

Make sure you run it in Administrator mode, this worked for me, so it should work for everyone
                  The original cdrom.sys is called cdrom_backup.sys and can be found in C:\windows\system32\drivers.
                  CureROM Support Team

Comment

I actually managed to integrate the old cdrom.sys in boot.wim and install.wim using imagex/wimfilter The new image-based installer is pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
                      I actually managed to integrate the old cdrom.sys in boot.wim and install.wim using imagex/wimfilter The new image-based installer is pretty sweet.
                      dear andareed

when will you release the new version? and is it support 5728 x64?... i really hope...

thank you very much for your good DT.

Comment

Please help me i'm use Total Commander and run this program as and administrator but i can't change C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys on cdrom.sys.old of course use Vista 5728 X86
                        Last edited by IronMask; 28.09.2006, 18:40.

Comment

Originally Posted by IronMask
                          Please help me i'm use Total Commander and run this program as and administrator but i can't change C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys on cdrom.sys.old of course use Vista 5728 X86
                          Have you tried to get full control over the file?
                          Follow the guides
                          http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by sfkilla23
                            Have you tried to get full control over the file?
                            Follow the guides

how get full control file ?

Comment

Has anyone attempted rar'ing the entire cdrom.sys_inf{string} install folder I think that it would make it MUCH easier for those that are having problems replacing the files due to Windows security issues.

In any event, if you use the direction I posted further up in the thread it should work on 32-bit Vista 5728, but likely will fail on 64-bit Vista which is nealry impossible to mess with system-level drivers on.

Comment

Originally Posted by IronMask
                                how get full control file ?
                                Follow this little summary guide on the link below
                                http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X