Just tried 4.0.6 on Vista 5728

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tried 4.0.6 on Vista 5728

Installs and everything appears to work fine, except for some reason a drive letter cannot be assigned. I try to change the drive letter, and I get the error message: Unable to set new drive letter.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find any threads relating to Vista problems with the new version of DT, so if something like this thread already exists feel free to publicly humiliate me etc etc.

cdrom.sys is broken in build 5728. DAEMON Tools works fine in 5600 though. You can try to copy cdrom.sys from build 5600 and that should fix the problem.

Comment

Would it be possible to provide a link to the Build 5600 cdrom.sys file?

I had updated to 5728 before the new Daemon Tools were released.

Its not possible to get it of the DVD as it is inside a file taht requires connect beta software to extract it.

thanks
      Mentalinc

Comment

I am having the same problem, has anyone tried the CDROM.SYS from Vista RC1 build 5600 on the new 5728 build? I have already upgraded to 5728 and cannot find that file on my build 5600 DVD and am not keen on reinstalling 5600 just to copy one file. Maybe someone has a link to that file so I can download and test it?

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
          cdrom.sys is broken in build 5728. DAEMON Tools works fine in 5600 though. You can try to copy cdrom.sys from build 5600 and that should fix the problem.
          One thing that boggles my mind is that i also have a "problem with cdrom.sys"

However the problem is "fixed" if i start Safe Mode, and it's the same behavior regardless if i'm using 5600 or 5728. When in normal mode it just won't start the drive, but in Safe-mode it works fine.

Any idea on that?

Comment

Originally Posted by SLAM-ER
            I am having the same problem, has anyone tried the CDROM.SYS from Vista RC1 build 5600 on the new 5728 build? I have already upgraded to 5728 and cannot find that file on my build 5600 DVD and am not keen on reinstalling 5600 just to copy one file. Maybe someone has a link to that file so I can download and test it?
            The installation files are compressed/encrypted so you need a unpacker or to get it from an already running installation.

Regardless though you should be stopped by the SFC and i had the exact same issues with 5600 and cdrom.sys as with 5728.

Comment

5600_cdrom.sys

Rename the original cdrom.sys to cdrom.sys.old and paste the downloaded cdrom.sys.
              Restart the system. Enjoy!

Comment

Above link is for x86 cdrom.sys. Make sure not to use it with x64 version of vista

Comment

i cannot boot in safe mode. pressing f8 vista told me i miss the ntloader missing from my mbr and under vista i cannot rename or replace. can someplease tell me an application which can do this`?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hanschke
                    i cannot boot in safe mode. pressing f8 vista told me i miss the ntloader missing from my mbr and under vista i cannot rename or replace. can someplease tell me an application which can do this`?

Not run in the safe mode. Run in the normal mode.
                    After the opretions, restart the system.

(Sorry my weakly english )

Comment

Where did i must copy the postet file?
                      -Life is to short for Long Faces-

Comment

if u run the normal mode i cannot change the file i am admin. strange!

Comment

The cdrom.sys file goes in \windows\system32\drivers

To rename to file you have to go to Properties of the file, Security, Advanced, Edit, and Ownership where you have to set yourself as the owner of the file.

After this you give yourself "Full control" over the file and THEN you can rename the file.

Still, after all this, I can't assign a drive letter. I pasted the build 5600-file, restarted, installed 4.0.6, restarted and it didn't work.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hanschke
                            if u run the normal mode i cannot change the file i am admin. strange!
                            You may need to turn off DEP (data execution prevention). Go to the cmd prompt and type in "Bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff" without quotes.

Should have edited but even with bcdedit on the cdrom.sys from 5728 gets copied back. You need to re-copy the 5600 cdrom.sys then restart after Daemon tools is installed.

After I did this I have no problems and I am able to change drive letters also.

Double check your cdrom.sys file and make sure it's dated 8/30 and not 9/17
                            Last edited by Pointblank187; 26.09.2006, 17:08.

Comment

With the Total Commander in the Administrator mode!(Right click on the TC shortcut/Run as Administrator)

Rename the cdrom.sys file, in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ to the "cdrom.sys.old". And copy the downloaded file in this folder.
                              This is easy operation, don't hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X