Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing or nonpractical features (since years)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing or nonpractical features (since years)

Dear Daemon-Tools developer,

my name is Patrick, I am working as an Administrator for school-networks.

We have to use virtual CDs for installing and running application in about 100 schools. The best tool to handle those images seemed to be Daemon Tools. Other tools are not free or do not work well on Multiuser-Systems.

And even since years I recognized, that Daemon-Tools is on the other hand NOT the best solution.

There were several problems, which made the use of Daemon Tools quite difficult:

1) You cannot change the number of Devices by command-line
    2) You now (4.x) even can't initialize GUIs without User-Interaction
    3) There's a maximum of 4 Devices
    4) You cannot mount images by Explorer-extension

Point 1)
    The problem is, that the number of devices may vary from school to school. So...the User has to rightcklick the Daemon-Tools-Icon and set the Device-Number by setting it up in the Submenu...do you use Windows? Did you recognize, that the Icon in the Taskbar-position of the Daemon Tools-Icon is changing depending on other software you install? It is impossible to write a script which is working on any machine.
    AND...the first threads dealing with this topic wer opened about 3 or 4 years ago...does problems and wishes of users interest you? Or do you develop the tool only depending on your own needs?

2)
    That brings us directly to Point 2)
    Till Version 3.x you could compensate this problem by using a GUI, such as DaeminUI. There you could enter the number of device and set some other customisation, like language or initialized Secure-Options.
    But hey...that was too simple...so you decided to imlement a DLL-lock. Cool...now I have...correct...rightclick on the Daemon-Tools-Icon and Unlock the DLL...But, as mentioned in point 1...how could I automate this step? I don't know...so...what is the deeper sense of this LOCK-Option? and why can I only lock the DLL by command-line but NOT unlock it?

3) The device-maximum - also metioned in posts about 3 years ago - is set to 4 devices. This is normally a good number...but it seems that you never have worked with school-teachers. I even don't know why a teacher needs 6, 7 or even more virtual devices...but there are teachers who do. And they get angry if they don't get this number of drives. This is not a big problem...there is always an argument which calms the teacher down, the best is: "Daemon Tools does not support more and I am not a developer."

Point4)
    Last but not least it would be very helpfull if there was a feature, allocating file-extensions to Daemon-Tools and then - by rightclicking on a file with the allocated extensions - choose a virtual device in the context-menu of the file where you can insert it. Why do you have to rightclick (again) the Daemon-Tools-Icon, choose the correct virtual device, open an image-file and insert it into the virtual drive.
    A normal User normally schould not have the permission to execute scripts - so the command-line is nonpractical (at this point). But did you ever explain a pupil or other non-technical user how to insert an image using the right-click-feature of the Daemon-Tools-Icon?

So, please see this thread as an informational thread posted by an enduser getting more and more desperated with new releases of Daemon-Tools. I don't want to look for a different solution, because I like Daemon-Tools. But past times have shown, that there are other users having the same problems. So...please...don't give the enduser the impression that problems or wishes simply were, are and will be ignored.

Kind regards Patrick

Features you'd like to see or think they're missing are not considered bugs, so I moved your thread to the suggestions forum.
    All forums are modereated, so please be patient till your post/thread is approved (may take some time).

1. You can use BTEWin scritps for changing number of devices, and also to change the drive letters.

2. The SecureMode (former Lock DLL function) is required to avoid stupid protection suckers to take over control about Daemon Tools virtual drives and emulations - unfortunately there is no way around this. A commandline option to disable SecureMode would make the whole function completely senseless.

3. Due to the fact that our engine is licensed to other software manufacturers, the normal and free (for private home use only) version will never support more devices. Registered users will get upcoming Daemon Tools Pro version though, which adds support for additional devices.

4. Explorer right-click options/shell extensions are added by 3rd party add-ons like awxDTools.
    You can also use DaemonScript to create icons which will mount images, execute programs, etc. - should be very handy with pupils and non-technicals.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Hi Copytrooper,

thanks for your hints...

...but it is really strange, to transfer the responsibility for necessary features the 3rd party developers.

Some of the functions I mentioned are essentially...and I think to integrate "How many drives should be installed" or "Select your language" or "Which emulations should be loaded on startup"-screens during the setup-routine are very simple to be implented, aren't they?

One word to your Tip, using BTEWin...

First of all you can only download it in the "V3.x 3rd party applications"...no BTE for V4.x

...AND...

even the version on the original-Webpage says (if you try to change settings of DaemonTools): "Daemon Tools Control library could not be loaded"...
      FIRST you have to unlock the DLL... so...you again have the problem of "rightclicking" the tray-icon.

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
        Features you'd like to see or think they're missing are not considered bugs, so I moved your thread to the suggestions forum.
        All forums are modereated, so please be patient till your post/thread is approved (may take some time).

1. You can use BTEWin scritps for changing number of devices, and also to change the drive letters.

2. The SecureMode (former Lock DLL function) is required to avoid stupid protection suckers to take over control about Daemon Tools virtual drives and emulations - unfortunately there is no way around this. A commandline option to disable SecureMode would make the whole function completely senseless.

3. Due to the fact that our engine is licensed to other software manufacturers, the normal and free (for private home use only) version will never support more devices. Registered users will get upcoming Daemon Tools Pro version though, which adds support for additional devices.

4. Explorer right-click options/shell extensions are added by 3rd party add-ons like awxDTools.
        You can also use DaemonScript to create icons which will mount images, execute programs, etc. - should be very handy with pupils and non-technicals.
        Registered users will get upcoming Daemon Tools Pro version though, which adds support for additional devices.

I thought not for new customers?
        CureROM Support Team

Comment

Originally Posted by [HMS]godfather
          Hi Copytrooper,

thanks for your hints...

...but it is really strange, to transfer the responsibility for necessary features the 3rd party developers.

Some of the functions I mentioned are essentially...and I think to integrate "How many drives should be installed" or "Select your language" or "Which emulations should be loaded on startup"-screens during the setup-routine are very simple to be implented, aren't they?

One word to your Tip, using BTEWin...

First of all you can only download it in the "V3.x 3rd party applications"...no BTE for V4.x

...AND...

even the version on the original-Webpage says (if you try to change settings of DaemonTools): "Daemon Tools Control library could not be loaded"...
          FIRST you have to unlock the DLL... so...you again have the problem of "rightclicking" the tray-icon.
          Well, do you actually need v4.0x supporting the newest protections in a school environment? V3.47 should be quite ok then?
          Note that the development of Daemon Tools is concentrated on protection support, which is full time job already. And Daemon Tools is a small tool for experienced users. Additional features may be implemented on basis of free resources, but as most of the suggested features are coverd by 3rd party add-ons (and there will also be some for v4.x soon), we'll see what's actually required, and possible.
          Btw emulations are not required when mounting appropriate image file in virtual drive(s). They should be enabled with written media, and if required only. Thus such option in installation dialog is not required. Language options would require to deliver all dlls with the installer package, blewing it up.

@FnF:
          Correct, the DTPro license will be sold seperately then.
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper View Post
            4. Explorer right-click options/shell extensions
            That is definitely something I'd like to see supported natively in DaemonTools
            are added by 3rd party add-ons like awxDTools.
            Does this awxDTools workin Vista by any chance?

Comment

Working...
            X