Final Fantasy VII/VIII PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy VII/VIII PC

I extracted the CD's to img files (using cloneCD, if you must know) for these games, so that I could play them on my laptop without the stupid loud CD rom motor drowning out the in game sound. But both games give me "Please insert disk 1/2/3..." messages, despite mounting the files in Daemon's tools.

I believe the discs need to be inserted into the correct drive letter... most likely the drive you installed them with, which is your only disc drive. You need to change the drive letter of the virtual drives, or find an ini or reg key that references the drive letter and edit it to your virtual drive's letter.

Comment

Okay, got FF7 to work by making an iso out of the install disk as well, thus making it read the virtual drive as the correct one. FF8, on the other hand, didn't work using the same method.

Comment

Try using the Windows RegEdit. Search for Final Fantasy, and when you get to the Final Fantasy 8 entry, make sure the drive listed is your virtual one.

Comment

Nope. Final Fantasy doesn't come up in the registry list (except for one of the .ccd files).

Comment

Did you install Final Fantasy 8 with the original CD or the image? If you used the image, try installing it with the original install CD, then use regedit to find the game and change the drive letters to the virtual drive.

It MIGHT be that you must run the game once normally before the registry entry appears. Try that.

Comment

i have to same probelm too. Can anyone who got it to work, post how u did it?

Comment

Try this:

Install the game from the original CDs, run the game once, then exit (press ALT + F4, I think) when the menu screen appears. Next, use Regedit to find the game in the registry, and change the listed drive letter to the Daemon Tools virtual drive's one. Running the game is important if it's about Final Fantasy VIII, since I seem to remember that it didn't create the entire registry key until the game had been started once.

Comment

"Try this:"

worked for me

Comment

I don't mean to reveive an oold topic, but I have problems play FF8. When I start New Game, it says "Insert Disc 1" then I did what that guy said and go to Regedit. I typed in "Final Fantasy" and the location of the CD came up. But I don;t getw aht you mean by change thr letter drive. becuase i did, and it says wrong disc inserted. It's hard to explain but can anyone help me?

Comment

I had this problem where I beat the first section of the game and was getting the Insert Disc 2, and My Disc 2 was in Perrrfect condition, but it wouldn't recognise it! Their are mini images out their that are simple to use.

Comment

Here you are!!!

OMG i just did a complete registration for this. But here it is the key too al your problems,and dont nag that there is no REG-Key now do you. Cause there is...:

This is a guide to getting FF8 PC to work on any OS with any version. All this requires is that you have the 5CDs (or ISO equivalents) and a will to listen and read carefully.

After installing the game to whatever directory you choose (I will use E:\FF8 in my example since it is a non-standard installation path), mount/insert the first CD into your drive.

Take note to what drive (letter) you will be using to mount/insert the first CD (I will use S.

After having done so, open up your registry editor. (For those who are new to this: 1. click your start button 2. click run 3. type in regedit and hit enter)

In regedit, find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc\FINAL FANTASY VIII\1.00

Again, for those of you new to regedit, simply browse through the following folders (in this order) until the pane on your right displays several items, of which one will be "DataDrive".
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
                        SOFTWARE
                        Square Soft, Inc
                        FINAL FANTASY VIII

Right click on the string value labelled "DataDrive" (it will have an icon with the letters ab on it to the left of it) in the right pane of the regedit browser.

Click "Modify"

In the field marked "Value Data" which is the only field you can change, it will probably display something like "c:"

This is where knowing your installation cd drive letter comes into play

Change the "c:" to whatever drive you installed FF8 with (for example "s:\")

Click OK

Close regedit.

Run ff8.exe or your appropriate shortcut.

That's it - all done. I have tried to make this guide as easy as possible as it took me about 2 hours to finally find out the no cd crack is even necessary for this game, just some regeditting fun. So hope you appreciate it and lay on the feedback/success!

Comment

sorry, it doesnt work for me....

i installed FF8 with an image. k installing done (sry for my bad english^^ im german). now i mounted CD1 img in G: (virtual drive) and do this regedit thing.

i start FF8.exe and chose New game but the game is crashing now and monitor is changing to windows....

can anybody helpme?

Comment

now it works just reinstalled the game lol

Comment

Final Fantasy 7 error

I was able to mount FF7 in Daemon Tools and play through most of the first disc until i came across an error that windows found. Does anybody know how i can get by this? Re-install or something else?
                              Last edited by SubZero801; 20.03.2006, 23:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X