Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista & NFS Carbon

Hello Folks,
    For those of you using RC1/2 and RTM, the solution to getting NFS Carbon to run is as follows:

For no compatibility mode (slightly better performance) - delete the videos folder. No movies I'm afraid.

Compatiblity Mode (Use 98/ME), this will work with the movies.

However I have a more sinister problem, I am unable to save an Alias in the game. I have saved a previous alias from XP but I don't know where carbon is trying to read for alias' or write them to.

If anyone has any ideas in this area I'm all ears.
    I've tried re-directing my documents into a more accessible location but that has not done the trick.

Any help would be appreciated.
    -Reap

The Alias is saved under My Documents/NFS Carbon and should work, there is no other place where Carbon saves these files.
    You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
    sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

Nope

Nope, does not work.

Vista by default will save it to
      C:\Users\%username%\NFS - Carbon however it does not.

I've got it set to save directly to a separate drive "D for Docs" and the game does not author such a folder although all other programs do.

Someone suggested try creating the folder and using an alias I had in XP, this does not work either even though I technically never moved it or the installation of Carbon.

At this point, you cannot save a Career Alias, it will let use whatever settings,races, awards obtained in a single session. After restarting the game, it will ask for a new alias which again cannot be saved.

Does anyone know a way around this problem?
      I've fiddled with permissions as well and it doesn't make a difference.

Comment

Problems saving alias

I realize your post is quote old, but maybe somehow you will still get this reply. I'm having the same issue you describe above...I start up Carbon, and it asks for my alias, but then after I say OK to saving, it says Unable to Save Alias.

Like you, I've messed with the permissions, compatibility modes, etc. Nothing works.

I'm on Vista Home Prem. 32 bit.

Did you ever figure out a solution? I also use NFS ProStreet and Most Wanted, and both of those have no problem. However, they save the alias to a folder directly in C:\. If it helps, my My Documents is targeted to a separate drive than C. But I have no problem with other games.

Please...I used to play this game on the 360 and LOVE IT! And was excited to finally get it for PC, and now I can't play it. It runs great, but it's like a tease b/c I can't save.

I hope you get this!! Thank you!

Comment

Re: Vista & NFS Carbon EA Support

Some links for you:

quote from the support website:
          Please note, if you have the DVD or CD version of Need For Speed: Carbon, you may obtain the latest patch from http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/NFS/carbon.
          If you purchased Need for Speed: Carbon through the EA Download Manager, you can obtain the EA Download Manager specific update directly through EA Download Manager. Users who purchased the game through the EA Download Manager should not download the DVD/CD update.
          This update has been released to address the following issues:
          Improved compatibility with Windows Vista
          Once you have completed the update, the version number will appear in the upper right hand portion of the intro screen (see image below). This version should read 1.4.
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I had already upgraded to 1.4, and am still unable to save my alias. : /

Any other suggestions?

things I've tried:
            -creating the NFS Carbon folder in my documents, and then adjusting the permissions so anyone could write to it
            -running the NFS .exe as administrator
            -changing NFS compatibility modes

Comment

Re: Vista & NFS Carbon

Maybe: Disable UAC in the control panel and reboot : )
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Nope...still didn't do the trick. Nice thought though... Maybe I'm just not supposed to play this game b/c I can't find many other forums with the similar problem. How frustrating

Comment

That's interesting that Carbon won't work. I can play NFS:U2 and NFS:MW without any issues in Vista Ultimate x64. Since NFS:C is newer, I would imagine it should work fine, too. Very strange.

Comment

Interesting? Or just plain sux? lol. Oh well... I'm getting into Test Drive now....that saves just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X