DTools 4.08 won't install on Vista RTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTools 4.08 won't install on Vista RTM

I've tried a few things such as installing SPTD 1.37 standalone, restarting, and then running the DAEMON Tools setup, but I get the same message upon opening the setup no matter how many times I've restarted: "You must reboot after previous operation."

I tried installing DTools with the silent mode flag, but it doesn't seem to do anything (the folder I specified for /D is empty).

Any help? This is on an upgrade install from RC2 -> RTM, but I uninstalled SPTD and DAEMON Tools before upgrading.

EDIT: Problem solved! I deleted the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\19659239224e364682fa4b af72c53ea4, and now everything works fine.
    Last edited by CapitalQ; 26.11.2006, 00:27.

exactly the same problem...........please someone help

Comment

Originally Posted by CapitalQ
      I've tried a few things such as installing SPTD 1.37 standalone, restarting, and then running the DAEMON Tools setup, but I get the same message upon opening the setup no matter how many times I've restarted: "You must reboot after previous operation."

I tried installing DTools with the silent mode flag, but it doesn't seem to do anything (the folder I specified for /D is empty).

Any help? This is on an upgrade install from RC2 -> RTM, but I uninstalled SPTD and DAEMON Tools before upgrading.
      Hi there,
      After having uninstalled DT, and before doing your upgrade, did you check if the sptd drivers were still present?
      There are couple of things i advice to do before installing daemon tools on any vista build.

- You should always do a clean and fresh install of any build of vista before trying to install daemon tools.
      - Uninstalling daemon tools often leaves some traces of the sptd driver
      - Upgrading vista is not really adviced if you want daemon tools to work 100% and certainly not upgrading when you already had a previous version of Daemon tools installed on your pc

This doesn't mean that it doesn't work the way you did it, but it just complicates the good installation and behaviour of daemon tools on your pc (in relation to the sptd driver)
      The more you will play around with upgrading and uninstalling Vista or daemon, the more you will increase your chances of having problems.

Since i only install daemon tools on a clean installation of Vista, i've never had any problems anymore.
      Also, upgrading usually takes 3 to 4 times more time than a simple fresh install.

Don't forget that RC2 is still a Beta build and RTM is final, so i don't advice you to upgrade from RC2.

I'm running RTM and i installed latest daemon tools 4.08 + sptd 1.37 and all is running perfect without any glitches.
      Same story with daemon tools 4.06 and RTM.

I finally advice you to create a fresh partition on your hard drive and install a fresh copy of latest RTM build. Than after you installed all your favourite drivers for your hardware etc... you can just install latest 4.08 and everything should be fine.

You should also be logged in as Full administrator (if not, right click on the .exe of DT and select "run as admin".

Hope it helped you guys

Best regards

SFkilla
      Last edited by sfkilla23; 22.11.2006, 14:59.
      http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

If you think backing up gigabytes of stuff for a format and clean installation is faster than doing an upgrade install, you've got another thing coming. Normally I would install an OS on an empty hard drive, but I formatted before putting on Vista...I figure upgrade installs from Vista to Vista can't be as detrimental as from XP to Vista. Judging from performance and compatibility with everything other than Daemon Tools this theory is so far correct.

Is there anyone who can actually help fix the problem without giving us the obvious but likely unnecessary route of reformatting? Thanks...
        Last edited by CapitalQ; 23.11.2006, 14:56.

Comment

If you think upgrading your pc to Vista is safer than do a proper backup on another partition of your drive than you've got another thing coming. lol

Next time, i just won't botter replying with some advice

Good luck

Comment

The problem wasn't upgrading "from Vista to Vista", it was upgrading from a beta to RTM, the final release. This is not recommended by any software manufacturer. Microsoft themselves have stated before that when transitioning between beta versions or when going from beta to final, you should always do a fresh install.

Comment

Originally Posted by sfkilla23
              Hi there,
              After having uninstalled DT, and before doing your upgrade, did you check if the sptd drivers were still present?
              There are couple of things i advice to do before installing daemon tools on any vista build.

- You should always do a clean and fresh install of any build of vista before trying to install daemon tools.
              - Uninstalling daemon tools often leaves some traces of the sptd driver
              - Upgrading vista is not really adviced if you want daemon tools to work 100% and certainly not upgrading when you already had a previous version of Daemon tools installed on your pc

This doesn't mean that it doesn't work the way you did it, but it just complicates the good installation and behaviour of daemon tools on your pc (in relation to the sptd driver)
              The more you will play around with upgrading and uninstalling Vista or daemon, the more you will increase your chances of having problems.

Since i only install daemon tools on a clean installation of Vista, i've never had any problems anymore.
              Also, upgrading usually takes 3 to 4 times more time than a simple fresh install.

Don't forget that RC2 is still a Beta build and RTM is final, so i don't advice you to upgrade from RC2.

I'm running RTM and i installed latest daemon tools 4.08 + sptd 1.37 and all is running perfect without any glitches.
              Same story with daemon tools 4.06 and RTM.

I finally advice you to create a fresh partition on your hard drive and install a fresh copy of latest RTM build. Than after you installed all your favourite drivers for your hardware etc... you can just install latest 4.08 and everything should be fine.

You should also be logged in as Full administrator (if not, right click on the .exe of DT and select "run as admin".

Hope it helped you guys

Best regards

SFkilla
              I have exactly the same problem with a FRESH INSTALL of Vista. Keeps asking for a reboot during DT install. Also tried to install SPTD before and without, but no go...

In the Device Manager there is nothing of SPTD or DT.

Any help is welcome.

Regards,

Martijn

Comment

Are you logged on as full admin? are you running x64 or x86?
                Your problem seems to be privilege related.... Do you have another virtual device program installed?

I'm gonna start to think i'm the lucky one everytime

Comment

Your problem seems to be privilege related.... Do you have another virtual device program installed?

Full admin, x86, no other virtual device software.

Comment

To answer your questions:

I'm a member of the group Domain Admins and the group Domain Admins is a member of the local Administrators group. Is that enough admin, or do I have to login as local user Administrator ?

I'm running the x86 version of Vista.

I do not have another virtual device program installed.

Comment

i'm afraid its not enough.... Vista is kind of hard with admininstration lol

Here you go for the people who are wondering how to do it...

Go to Start, Right click on "computer" select "Manage" (wait 10sec)then you will see the user accounts folder...double click on it and choose the admin user/properties and uncheck the box ...
                      go to the user account and disable all other user accounts and guests... than you log off or reboot
                      Don't worry about the user files, you can still access them later on in the user folder
                      screenshot here:

Maybe you also disable the UAC. User Account Control.

I hope this does the trick
                      Last edited by sfkilla23; 24.11.2006, 17:55.

Comment

Already disabled UAC and logged in as local Administrator, still the infinite boot-loop during install of DT.

Unfortunately...

Comment

Not sure about DTools, but I just did a test install of Vista Ultimate x64 edition on a machine at work and tried installing Alcohol 52% FE v1.9.6.4719 using the latest SPTD 1.38 and it installed without any problems. First run I did need to run as Administrator, but other than that no problems.

Comment

First make sure SPTD is installed and running.
                            Run latest standalone SPTD installer from http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads

After reboot run it again and verify it says 1.38 is already installed. Please report your results.
                            If you have permanent "You must reboot after previous operation" prompts then most likely your registry was corrupted by Vista upgrade: look at r0 registy key inside SPTD service. This is volatile key that normally must disappear after reboot, but maybe it is permanent. Try to delete this key manually and rerun SPTD setup.

Comment

Thanks for your help, I tried installing 1.38 but receive the same "You must reboot," etc. prompt. Can you specify where exactly the r0 registry key is located? I searched the registry for keys named SPTD but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right things...wouldn't want to delete anything good accidentally.

Comment

Working...
                              X