Freeware ISO makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeware ISO makers

What are some good quality freeware ISO makers that support a lot of different options and let you make large ISO files without a limit to their size? I know of some shareware and paid ones but which are good freeware? Also, where's a good site that explains all the concepts to do with burning and such things? For example, some games I try to create into iso files but they stop halfway through or they're too big..I just want to not have the disk, thats all..but I dont think I know enough about everything..the protections...the ways to burn...etc...of course I am talking about legal games I've bought...thats all I want to know...how to play them as ISO's..and first, how to BURN them, both to a disk and to an iso file..would help,...also the whole cd/cd-r/dvd/terminology would help..if you know of some sites...I just want to learn but dont know where to look

Did you search the forums? Or at least look through the first page in the Burning Software forum? I didn't think so.

Right below your thread is a thread named "best .iso maker thingy". How 'bout it? Go check it out.
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Did you search the forums? Or at least look through the first page in the Burning Software forum? I didn't think so.
      Yes I did, and my question differs from his...I only ask it in a seperate thread because its different..I read that whole thread and nothing in it satisfied my question...

Comment

The free edition of Alcohol 52% has to be about the best, since it's the only free ISO maker that I'm aware of that handles copy protections:
        Emulation software allowing users to play CDs DVDs without the need for the physical disc. Notebook users and PC Game players would benifit the most from Alcohol 52% Supports 25 plus languages Can ...

Note that this is a free edition - not a time-limited demo.

Comment

The best thing is that the solution mwb1100 gives is shown in the thread referred to by NetSoerfer.

Really difficult stuff.
          Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

I didn't mean to be rude, it's just hard sometimes not to be annoyed at the same questions being asked again and again.

You'll want to try Alcohol 52%, as mwb110 says it's the best that's available and it's free.

About learning how to create images... That's not something that can be explained in a few sentences, it differs from copy protection to copy protection. Use ProtectionID (google) to find out which copy protection was used on a disc, then set Alcohol 52% to the corresponding profile. If that doesn't work, search the forums - someone will probably already have asked about it.
            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Allright, I'll try that, thanks. Do you know of a site that has archives of older versions of programs that specifically includes ALcohol 52? Well, the SPTD problem being how it is, I cannot install the newest version. Ive tried in safe mode and with reboots but no go and asked on the sptd forums without luck. I found a working older version of 120, but its a trial, and seeing how I cant burn CD's anyways with my current comp, It would make more sense to have 52 as you said, especially since its freeware. If you knew of an older site with archives of old versions of software that includes Alcohol 52 dont hesitate to point me to it. Thanks

Comment

Alcohol 52% was not freeware in prior versions without SPTD. This was a more recent development, as as such older versions will not do you any good.

Comment

ahh, I see. Well, thanks anyways though.

I kind of hate to dreg this up again and be a pain, but do you know of any programs that are good for identifying older copy protections? For example Protection ID couldnt even identify SafeDisc1 on Tiberium Sun (tho when i used alcohol 120 it was obvious because of the read errors from the first 0-10,000 blocks or whatever they are called) - ive tried ClonyXXL also and it hasnt been able to. I am not looking for removing copy protection from older games, Just a tool that can identify it-for non MZ/PE executables (PiD said it couldnt scan these files)

Comment

You could try A-Ray Scanner.

Comment

A-ray worked for Tiberium Sun, however not for the Original Command and Conquer game. The game is so old I am wondering if there's no copy protection aside from a simple CD check...lol.
                      That is basically the only game I can think of that I have that no protection has been found...although ClonyXXL gave it 5 skulls in difficulty even though it couldnt find a protection.

My original Red Alert sadly wont run on XP so I won't know about it unless I buy a newer version of the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by mwb1100 View Post
                        The free edition of Alcohol 52% has to be about the best, since it's the only free ISO maker that I'm aware of that handles copy protections:
                        Alcohol 52% Free Edition

Note that this is a free edition - not a time-limited demo.
                        Which will also install the Babylon toolbar and search as well as a bunch of other crap along with it regardless of whether you choose not to.

Comment

Working...
                        X