X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Enable DMA?

Hi all.
    New to the forum, old to the DT.
    Recently I upgraded my system from P4 to Core2Duo. The old mother had one ISA slot more (and many SATA ones less). I used the DT there with no problem to the speed of my Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW(master) nor to the Toshiba DVD-ROM (slave). I mean the DVD writing speed droped from 8x to 1x and the CD reading speed from 40x to 9x.
    On upgrade, I retained the master/slave config of the drives yet now DMA settings are off (as stated by Nero InfoTool) and accordingly the secondary IDE channel now reads PIO instead of DMA no mater what I tried.
    I uninstalled DT for starters.
    I uninstalled the secondary IDE drivers next and let Windows to find the drives and reinstall automatically.
    I toyed with the registry lines for the IDE driver as well.
    I guess I'll have to do a complete format of the HD at the end.
    Any other ideas ?? (all are welcome)
    Also the notion that the DT was to fault was given to me by the guy who assembled the system and noted that b4 I installed the DT there was np with the drive speeds.

System config
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
    MSI P965 Platinum (Driver 1.11)
    1 SATA HDD
    Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW
    Toshiba DVD SD-M1802 (Driver 1030)

Thanks

Did you format and then change the mobo? If not that could be why. Do you have starforce games installed? Also, some instructions for DMA can be found here: http://www.n-gage-help.com/modules.p...ewtopic&t=5519

Comment

No starforce games were installed (or detected by the removal utility).
      When I upgraded the system I did no HDD format. I just reinstalled Windows and all applications.
      As for the advices in the site, already tried. PIO mode PIO mode PIO mode.
      I guess that I'll have to check with a clean slate. After I format and install the OS SP2 I'll recheck DMA conditions. Then install DT and see if nothing happens. Then Nero and try some discopy and check again.

Comment

same here

standard 4.7 GB DVD takes cca 50 minutes to burn after installing DT. The same problem I have heard from couple of my friends already, sofar the only solution is to reinstall Windows and dont use DT anymore . Have seen similar posts in this forum with no solution provided sofar...

Comment

If I caught you before you formatted, Have a try of this little utility.

I found it in my travels and have used it countless times at work to solve DMA/PIO problems.... (I am a PC Technician)
          SpeedLabs Inc. - Welcome to the real world...

Comment

Thx

Originally Posted by AmphetaMarinE View Post
            If I caught you before you formatted, Have a try of this little utility.
            I found it in my travels and have used it countless times at work to solve DMA/PIO problems.... (I am a PC Technician)
            this piece a software got my DMA back to game. DD developers could have a look on this prob to avoid such behaviour though

Comment

Working...
            X