X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one's perfect
    Carpe diem

Comment

Jito, is your C&C I original version or Gold version? If it is the Gold one, then it should be already compatible with Windows 95, and does not need the patch.

Comment

@ NewDemon: I used YASU

@ others; Ive already tried general copy protection database type in alcohol and it works to make the image but when i mount it with all the emulation enabled it still says no disk in drive.. so if there's no protection then why will it not work with an image?? whats up with that

Comment

I'm not sure, MaLing. But the instructions that came in the package say to download the patch. I haven't tried installing it yet, because I'll probably need DosBox to make it work, since I'm running x64.

Comment

Alpha Blue, did you install your C&C I from the same virtual drive in which you mount your image?

In addition, it is a very old game, it may look for only drive D (or the one directly next to hard disc drives), try to change your virtual drive to that letter.

Did you make your image by Normal CD profile, or General Protected CD profile?

Comment

MaLing, I dont exactly know how to change my drive letter to that of my real drive, in other words; i might as well list the drives i have:

A: Floppy
              B: B? hm wonder why nobody has a B drive
              C: Hard drive (only 1 partition, the entire drive)
              D: DVD drive (real drive on my computer)
              E: DVD drive (real drive on my computer)
              F-S=virtual drives, alcohol 120 &daemon tools.
              U: external HDD via USB (real drive)
              thats all i have for now...sometimes i change my virtual drives but usually my A D and E remain the same..and U usually as well.

So you are saying i should change the letter of my virtual drive to D? That makes sense since like u said its an old game, but what tool would I need to do that? I dont know How to change my REAL drives letter, changing a virtual drives letter seems easier..as alochol 120 can do it but only if the letter isnt already in use, which it is..

In terms of the profile, i used General Protected CD rather than ?normal cd? whats that? Was I supposed to use that instead?

Comment

The important thing is to make your virtual drive the lowest drive letter (after your hard drives anyway). Just use Disk Management in Windows (right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then Disk Management).

Comment

Originally Posted by Alpha_Blue View Post
                  In terms of the profile, i used General Protected CD rather than ?normal cd? whats that? Was I supposed to use that instead?
                  Huumm... Alpha Blue, it seems that you are using an extremely absolutely obsolete version of Alcohol.

I swear that I have never seen that version in my life, so I have nothing to tell you.

Since you are using such an old version, it is very unlikely a trial version, and so you are very probably a customer, so please use the customer forum of Alcohol for better support, it is your privilege.
                  Last edited by MaLing; 09.04.2007, 11:52.

Comment

Lol, I realized taht version was from 2003,...haha, well i finally fixed the issue with updating it and im running current version now oh and using DPM on high and YASU and shutting down daemon tools made the image work and run! WOot! Thanks for help

The only problem left is the stupid C&C original...it still wont run from an image, "disk not in drive" i havent tried changing drive letter yet but I doubt it will solve the problem?

Comment

Alpha, sorry i havnt gotten back to ya recently. Ive had a lot of work-related stuff going on. Ill put it on the list of things to do tonight and see if i cant make a rip and see why you are having trouble with the original C&C.

Just out of curiousity, does the game run from the original cd at all?

Comment

I ripped both the GDI and NOD cd's for C&C dos version, this was not the gold game. The windows shortcut that installed said the game was version 1.22 without the need to patch.

The game would not install properly from Z:\ so i changed that daemon tools drive to be E:\ and it installed just fine. Install with install.exe and not setup.exe, using setup will crash the installer when it cant write the config file to the cd im assuming.

From E:\ the game ran as well as i could expect. My dos sound seems to skip and stutter in windows, im not sure why. Im running an SB-Live (still) but i couldnt even get my dos sound to work at all in win98se after i changed motherboards, so ill take what i can get i guess. All of the intro movies played, and the first GDI mission also played just fine.

The settings i used to rip the images were:

"Customize"
                        Skip reading errors
                        Advanced sector scanning factor 100
                        Read Sub Channel Data
                        .MDS format

As far as i know, these images work just perfectly, however C&C does not like to run unless its in the lowest cdrom device, this behavior was tested with physical cdrom devices and original cds, as well as images and virtual drives. It will not run unless it is the lowest cdrom device, which means if you are mounting it virtually, you must put it below your physical cdrom drives.

EDIT: The reason i used E instead of D is because C, D, and F are physical cdrom drives. E is the drive letter i use for my external which i often do not have plugged in, and G, H are my DVD and CDRW. WXYZ are my virtual drives which i can easily change one to E if i need to get it below my cdrom drives for a game thats picky. This is one of those games.

Comment

Edit for the last post.. C, D, and F are hard drives. :P

Comment

MaLing got it.

The original dos based 2 cd game was not copy protected (just a cd check and indeed you need the cds in the drive to get the videos in any case).

However, the game will run only from whichever rom has the lowest drive letter.

Comment

The original dos based 2 cd game was not copy protected (just a cd check and indeed you need the cds in the drive to get the videos in any case).
                              Movies play from the cd-images too, im *positive* of that. Anyway since the install of the dos C&C is 8 megs, and i watched a 3 minute long intro movie, as well as the beach assault GDI briefing, and there are no C&C movie files on my harddrive, i can assure everyone that they played from the images. :P

Comment

Hey Ratha, thanks a lot for testing that for me

I cant' seem to figure out how can I change the letters for my CD/DVD drives? I tried drive management but to no avail..they didnt list them. Cause my last DVD drive is letter E:, so I tried C&C on F and didnt work. Although maybe I need to remake my image..

Comment

Working...
                                X