No announcement yet.

Information on StarForce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's clear StarForce uses physical data to identify CDs. But before disk check it asks for code (I don't know about other copy protections). It seems the code tells StarForce how to check cd. So maybe it's possible to make a kind of code generator, it will make codes that could work with common CD-R(W) dicks? :roll:

Comment

This is not very feasible. First, the code of starforce is encrypted. Second, every version, starforce could slightly alter the code check process. Third, there are (more than likely) cracks which bypass this already.

Comment

How StarForce check CD-R Media? It have driver or use MS driver? Why i asks about this?
        In first i looks StarForce when some people give me CD with game named Etherlords (i get Russian version, and it was one year ago). When i copying this CD on CD-RW disk - game doesn't work (i check "Hide CD-R Media" in CloneCD). Emulate isn't works too. On some forums i found information about how we can run game from CD-R (or RW, and this disk you may write by Easy CD Creator, who does not support copying ProtCDs) disks. In DOS mode i move some files from \Windows\System directory (wnaspi32.dll, winaspi.dll) in other directory in case. Windows starts normaly, no BSoD or other error, and in 9 of 10 cases EtherLords run normaly.
        AFAIK CloneCD don't use standart windows ASPI drivers, but StarForce used it? EtherLords the first game who i get with StarForce and i think CD have early version of StarForce, and whith new version of this protection it not works, maybe...
        This game just Cloned by my friend, and he can run cloned copy don't delete ASPI drivers, but only eject disk, and inject, when game sad: "Disk not found", and do it 5-10 times, then game running normaly. This is second variant how we run copyed game protected starforce.
        May be it help to understand how works this protection. And I want return to first question in first paragraph.

PS: sorry for my english, i wrote this message about 30min and i tired...

-----
        with Respect...

Comment

we know how StarForce work and if you from the begin post what you thought or experiented than the most postings here are unnecessary.

And your question is already answered: It uses more advanced methods than other protections.

Don't misunderstood me: Normaly we welcome hints, in this case we already know about the mechanism, the internal structures and so on. It's only that we discuss this internal, not on the public, for several reasons.

Comment

Really, can anybody tell us what's new in StarForce 3? I tried to copy a StarForce 3 protected CD with alcohol, but failed! I even set DPM Precision : High, but still no result...

Comment

Starforce 3=starforce 2+anti-debugging code+check for virtual devices
              you can try to mount the imge on a virtual device.
              Do not set the accuracy on high, simply use the starforce profile

Comment

check for virtual devices
                So I can not use Alcohol Virtual device you mean?

Comment

you can use any SCSI device (virtual drives have SCSI drivers) only if you haven't got any IDE drive

Comment

Working...
                  X