Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THANK YOU! And what the hell is "edam & chino"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THANK YOU! And what the hell is "edam & chino"?

I apologize for bothering y'all (anybody?) with this no-doubt newbie inquiry, but ever since I installed DT (and Y.A.S.U., etc.) in hopes of protecting my pocketbook from my ADHD-11-year-old son's unintentional CD & DVD destructive tendencies, I/he can't play a LOT of the 100+ games we bought over the years (often necessarily 2 copies so that we could play on LAN with each other - particularly galling!), and every time a game does/does not launch, the PC bleats something that sounds like: "edam & chino".... cheese & wine, perhaps? I wish! :-)...

If this matter (and, more importantly, the issue of so many of our games no longer being able to be played because their anti-copying software detects the presence of emulation SCSI drives - despite trying to disable them, or cloak them, or even remove them via safe-mode) has been pursued elsewhere in these forums that I have been so-far unsuccessful in discovering, could one of you fine gentlemen/ladies be so kind as to refer me to same? Thank you so much....

And to the developers of this software, THANK YOU so much, for trying to help poor ignorant fools such as I to merely protect our investment in a product that refuses to deliver any kind of reasonable warranty for it products and instead resorts to monopolistic trade practices. Carry on the good fight!

How did you make the images? What program did you use, and what settings did you use within the program?

Comment

Originally Posted by Justin95 View Post
      and every time a game does/does not launch, the PC bleats something that sounds like: "edam & chino".... cheese & wine, perhaps? I wish! :-)...
      erm, have you scanned your pc for viruses/trojans/malware recently?
      my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

and most of all why u blame completely clean d tools/yasu for this unless you grabbed them of a site other than this one or sykos.
        Guys vote for the threads you read to give
        the rating system a place to live ^^

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
          How did you make the images? What program did you use, and what settings did you use within the program?
          Thank you for responding....

The problem is not the images - the problem is running games from original CDROMS, either to play them, installed previous to installing DTools and subsequently Y.A.S.U. when I discovered the problem of "blacklisting", or trying to make images of them in hopes of being able to run them as images if not from the original CDs. I've been through the registry and find that some of the games that have IDs recorded there will run even though they won't allow new ones to be installed, while others won't.

I have run, repeatedly, my Avast AV, particulairly on the one computer on which my boy had disablled it (to free up resources), but the only viruses, etc., it found was just the WhenU Adware - nothing else.

I wasn't aware that I was exclusively blaming DTools or Y.A.S.U. by my opening remarks, but was stating the point that this problem only arose after I installed them - that is merely a statement of fact, coincidental or otherwise. If such a statment offends you, I'm sorry - it is merely a statement of fact. Neither my son nor I have downloaded any games, movies or utilities other than these so I think you can understand why my inquirey would be first framed in that context, and why I would first turn to this forum with such an inquiry - I think a much less defensive response would have been a simple "No, I've never heard of such a complaint - you must have been infected through some other medium or source." As that appears to be your indication, I guess I'm stuck with wiping the hard-drives in our PCs and starting the complete re-installing of everything. I had hoped to identify the source of this weird "infestation" to identify whether it was otherwise harmless and/or to avoid its reoccurance.

One last question, if you don't mind: am I correct in assuming from these forums that it is generally possible to install and run games such as B&W2, IL2, COD & Harry Potter (all variations of each), and the software for devices such as eDimensional 3D Glasses without being blocked by various copy-protections and "blacklisting programs", or is it an on-going one-upmanship battle with the distributors and manufacturers of these games? For example, do any of you have any personal experience or feedback from users of eD's 3D LCD glasses & software for playing games and/or watching DVDs - it even blocks it's use with any by-passing of CSS?

As I'm sure you've guessed, this is all new to me and was therefore a huge disappointment and frustration - my sincere
          thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comment

the only 100% way to avoid the blacklisting is to use the original disk, original exe, and no blacklisting tools... and no registry key blocking...

regarding the eDimensional 3D - probably best to take that up on their forums (if they have one) or contacting support.. as your queries are going seriously off topic, and are not curerom support related at all..
            my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Originally Posted by evlncrn8 View Post
              the only 100% way to avoid the blacklisting is to use the original disk, original exe, and no blacklisting tools... and no registry key blocking...
              regarding the eDimensional 3D - probably best to take that up on their forums (if they have one) or contacting support.. as your queries are going seriously off topic, and are not curerom support related at all..
              Thank you kindly for your straightforward response, and I completely concur with your suggestion in regards to eDimensional. I'm going to try doing a re-format and completely clean install on the one PC and see if I can discover the source of the .wav(?) when booting games (any suggestions on where to look?), and if and/or when I discover same or anything else relating to cureom I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Comment

this sounds very suspicious. I suggest before a clean reinstall
                to check your system from "outside" - e.g. you can use a
                bootable CD-runned linux-system like knoppix/knoppicillin to
                check your system for various threats that might infected the
                machine. If that check show some positives, come back and
                show your results. If there are some positives, you should think
                about how that infection was possible. I suggest to use
                alternative browser like Firefox with NoScript-plugin and a
                reliable Antivirus (use av-comparititives (google for it) to find
                an antivirus with good scan-results (avast is one of that not
                so good scanners) and a fully updated windows! Additional, I
                recommend to work only as USER and not administrator when-
                ever it is possible.

You can also add security by using sandbox-based system for
                surfing the net, I recommend for that purpose Sandboxie
                (www.sandboxie.com), it is reliable (mostly ) and prevent
                most exploits to harm your real system. This method also
                prevents most spyware to install properly and therefore you
                do not have to care about some antispyware. Nevertheless,
                if you feel need for it I recommend "Spybot Search and Destroy"
                for that purpose. Its free and should find any ad- and spyware
                on your system.

Note: All the suggestions are usefull only after you made a
                complete new installation. A once compromised system is not
                a basis to start secure! You can NEVER be sure to find any
                threats that now already made it into your system. With
                above suggestions you should be relative safe in the future.

And again: UPDATE YOUR OS! I cant underscore the importance of
                updates! An additional firewall may also be usefull for you -
                although I do in general not recommend them, as they mostly
                add only to a "false security feeling". Much more important are
                the above suggestions imho, AND a firewall if you feel need for
                it. But a good firewall can not replace most current updates
                and a - hopefully - not easy exploitable browser.

All that and a mistrustingly behaviour should prevent you from
                further crap.

BTW: To my best knowledge I never heared about your problem
                before, I highly doubt it has anything to do with DT/YASU
                or similar software, thats why I think it is your system that
                got infected - but I hope I'm wrong

Comment

Resolution

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply - you gave me lots to do!

Thank you for such a thorough and comprehensive response - many excellent suggestions, and I thank you for taking the time and making the effort to "lead me through the valley of PC Death!"

I have discovered the source of the weird "edam and chino": it is an extremely "stylized" .wma of "edimensional" - the program from the company of that name that manufactures the 3D-LCD glasses. It is "played" whenever the program detects any cloaking or blocking of the registry or SCSI drive installations. My apologies if I offended anyone due to my ignorance and newbie stupidity of installing several programs sequentially (DTools, w/plug-ins like Y.A.S.U., and the eDimensional software) without checking the system thoroughly after each install so as to be able to identify or at least narrow down any conflicts or idiosyncrasies as they occur.

Thanks again for helping - very much obliged.

Incidentally, if you like looking at pictures of big pussy(cats), I think you'll enjoy visiting our web site: www.qadesh.com

Comment

I for one am glad you figured this out and posted the finding. I was wondering WTF your PC was saying "edam and chino" for.

Comment

Working...
                    X