Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emu questions

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'll be very humourous indeed

Now I know to get an answer from VeNoM386 that it has to be a yes/no format - cool. To get an answer from LocutusofBorg I should say something outrageous or factually incorrect (in fact, I can often get a whole thread by simply annoying LoB around the edges
    • The English Instructionz need 'tidying up' and are somewhat daunting. The first time I read them (early last year);
      INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
      I fell backwards off my chair and thought that flying a NASA space shuttle might be easier. No offence. I have re-written them, (but not made them available anywhere);
      if you're interested
    • The emu options are required for backup CDs, yes?
    • for an image mounted to the Generic DVDROM, "enabling the copy protection emulation(s) is NOT necessary!!" So, the emu options have no effect on an mounted image?
    • So this is not actually a test for RAW-ness? And useless for checking the image before writing?
    • So if the image won't run, it's not a good image, yes?
    • So, why does ticking SecuROM allow some images to be run otherwise? (my son makes bad reads sometimes)
    • How is it possible to check an image, for 'RAW-ness' or 1:1, before writing? I know this depends on the reader/writer, but let's say a Lite-On or ASUS owner wants to check the image before writing
    Hell Hath No Fury Like ASPI Abused

hehe, I see you are back to your old habit of posting all your dumb/odd questions/remarks on the d-tools board 8)

Comment

Re: emu questions

Originally Posted by slydog
      If brevity is the soul of wit, I'll be very humourous indeed

Now I know to get an answer from VeNoM386 that it has to be a yes/no format - cool. To get an answer from LocutusofBorg I should say something outrageous or factually incorrect (in fact, I can often get a whole thread by simply annoying LoB around the edges
      • The English Instructionz need 'tidying up' and are somewhat daunting. The first time I read them (early last year);
        I fell backwards off my chair and thought that flying a NASA space shuttle might be easier. No offence. I have re-written them, (but not made them available anywhere);
        if you're interested
      • The emu options are required for backup CDs, yes?
      • for an image mounted to the Generic DVDROM, "enabling the copy protection emulation(s) is NOT necessary!!" So, the emu options have no effect on an mounted image?
      • So this is not actually a test for RAW-ness? And useless for checking the image before writing?
      • So if the image won't run, it's not a good image, yes?
      • So, why does ticking SecuROM allow some images to be run otherwise? (my son makes bad reads sometimes)
      • How is it possible to check an image, for 'RAW-ness' or 1:1, before writing? I know this depends on the reader/writer, but let's say a Lite-On or ASUS owner wants to check the image before writing
      1. Of course, let's see. I've written the manual and I'd never claim it is perfect. Let's see if you did better

2. Yes - I know a lot of people get this wrong. Anyway, it MAY also be necessary for images (if it wasn't created correctly, the CDROM cannot read subchannels or the image was created from an 'unperfect' copy).

3. Nope! And didn't I write 'normally not necessary'

4. Sorry, don't understand the question.

5. Yes

6. See '2' & '3'

7. That does not work 100%. But if the game starts from image and you didn#t tick any emu options and have a burner that CAN write RAW&SUB96 the image should contain all necessary infos.

One more thing - what concerns your last question - all latest copy protections cannot be burned 1:1 anymore so testing will not be necessary anymore. You will have to play from image anyway .

Comment

slydog wrote:
        To get an answer from LocutusofBorg I should say something outrageous or factually incorrect (in fact, I can often get a whole thread by simply annoying LoB around the edges
        hmm, like yet?? :mrgreen:
        #4 -> if the question means: can I test RAW-Image was created correctly by turning on/off the emu-options on a mounted Image, this can be answered with yes (at least with the old protectionschemes)

As SwENSkE already answered your questions there's nothing more to add.

@SwENSkE: Maybe he means turning on/off the Emu-Option on mounted Image can test the "RAW-ness", only guess

Comment

"SwENSkE" wrote:
          >
          [...]
          >

>1. Of course, let's see. I've written the manual and I'd never claim it is
          >perfect. Let's see if you did better

OK. Option 1 is just minor stuff. Option 2 is a rewrite

>2. Yes - I know a lot of people get this wrong. Anyway, it MAY also be
          >necessary for images (if it wasn't created correctly, the CDROM cannot
          >read subchannels or the image was created from an 'unperfect' copy).

May? I don't get "MAY" because the Instructionz are explicit "not required for images"

>3. Nope! And didn't I write 'normally not necessary'

Nope - as quoted "enabling the copy protection emulation(s) is NOT necessary!!"

>4. Sorry, don't understand the question.

Hmm..I meant that there is no way of checking if the image is complete with protection if emu is not required for images

>5. Yes

>6. See '2' & '3'

Hmm...this is the confusing part. Do the options (for CDs) provide emu for images or not? But since the Instructionz state "enabling the copy protection emulation(s) is NOT necessary!!" then why may it be necessary??

>7. That does not work 100%. But if the game starts from image and you
          >didn't tick any emu options and have a burner that CAN write
          >RAW&SUB96 the image should contain all necessary infos.

>One more thing - what concerns your last question - all latest copy
          >protections cannot be burned 1:1 anymore so testing will not be
          >necessary anymore. You will have to play from image anyway.

I don't get this. I know that SD2 and SecuROM backups are not 1:1 anymore but they do work at the moment. I know it's easy for SecuROM to defeat the vso method, if they choose to do so.

Comment

"LocutusofBorg" wrote:
            >
            [...]
            >

>hmm, like yet??

I haven't thought of anything just yet

>#4 -if the question means: can I test RAW-Image was created correctly
            >by turning on/off the emu-options on a mounted Image, this can be
            >answered with yes (at least with the old protectionschemes)

Yep, understood

>@SwENSkE: Maybe he means turning on/off the Emu-Option on mounted
            >Image can test the "RAW-ness", only guess

Yes

I believe so!

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
              hehe, I see you are back to your old habit of posting all your dumb/odd questions/remarks on the d-tools board 8)
              ...are you are still a funny guy :P

Comment

@slydog: With respect to instructions, are you quoting from the readme or chm?

Comment

"Andareed " wrote:
                  >
                  [...]
                  >

>@slydog: With respect to instructions, are you quoting from the readme
                  >or chm?

hehe, I know you did the .chm 8) but no it's the website "Instructionz" which is why SwENSkE replied

Comment

okok, so now i know you're not dissing my work... yet :P

Comment

@slydog. Feel free to make your variant of instructions and send us for revision. We will be glad to make it easy to understand so people won't have the NASA-feeling.
                      What canserns playing images it's simple - playing the game from image is same as playing from physical CDROM, nothing else. Virtual drive mimics real drive in all aspects. If your image not very good than playing from it may require additional emulation, same as as some unperfect backup.

Comment

I will add the 'normally' and try to add an explanation .

Comment

Working...
                        X