Concerns over .daa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns over .daa...

After recent increases in .daa files, being a veteran that has always used DT and .isos, I decided to check out if the devs here were going to add .daa support. After a quick search on the forums it seems you guys have gave a definitive 'NO', which is concerning.

I can understand you being hostile towards certain software devs, but isn't it better you can emulator their extension rather than forcing end users to install their software?

Personally I don't want to change platforms Deamon Tools has always served me well, but there is an increase in .daa and may also be forced to.

.daa lacks several important capabilities. And most important:

can you tell me where you see the "increase"? Where exactly
    did you see an increase? I really hope you do not tell me some
    shit like "I frequently download games via torrent" or such crap.

I really hope you can give us one good example, some kind
    of valid argument that! Let's discuss on a professional basis!
    Give us good arguments here, convince us and tell us what is
    possible with .daa that can't be done via .mds/mdf!

or ANY of the other formats that we support.

In general I do not get your post completely, after all you should
    anyway create the images for yourself - at least when it
    comes to something like Game/Application-backups.

And mdf/mds also support encryption (AES 256) and
    compression now.

I would be astonished if you tell me that someone use .daa
    to image linux-distributions or something else. Honestly, I'm
    really curious what you mean with "increased files in .daa"
    - atm, I can't think of what you really mean - and I'm pretty
    sure (at least hopefull) you do not mean any illegal shit.

So there might be something that we overlooked, some
    valid facts.

Comment

daemon tools won't support .daa due to copyright issues. Just get a .daa to .iso converter on the internet, then you can mount it.

Comment

exact. We believe that most .daa-crap is some distributed
        illegal content. Thats why we wont support it. Thats for sure
        what you meaned, correct? Then you're right..

Also we believe there are already enough choices - DT is
        capable to mount alot of different formats, we see no need
        to support even more - after all, WE must maintain then all
        the formats and watch out for every change the format-
        creators made.

We find it also strange that some commercial apps are
        capable to read e.g. mdf/mds-format, although we did NOT
        licensed this to competitors except Alcohol-Soft. Because
        some companys seems to care shit about our copyright,
        we might nevertheless do the same and support their
        format, too (except .daa)

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg View Post
          Because some companys seems to care shit about our copyright, we might nevertheless do the same and support their format, too (except .daa)
          .VCD ??

{do it.}

Comment

.vcd is not a supported disc image, try to convert it to .iso if you can.

Comment

Assuming you guys are referring to Virtual CD format by H+H Software, then I'd have to agree that they only like doing they're own thing and would probably never collaborate with anyone if approached.

They couldn't even be bothered to reply to my emails regarding setting up an English speaking forum at club.cdfreaks since theirs so lame and that the only unofficial one is in German at copybase.

Comment

we see no reason to "support" vcd, it is competitor..

And apart from that we also do not offer support for mds/mdf
                to other companys except Alcohol-Soft.

And as we already begun to change our format to new specification and
                this time it is "secured", we doubt that VCD will offer mdf/mds
                support for a long time (except of course the "old" mdf/mds format )

Comment

I've got better idea : .daa is for Poweriso, why you build image with that? No one use that extension ! Follow the advice of the admin or build ISO !

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg View Post
                    we see no reason to "support" vcd, it is competitor..
                    But wouldn't that make more people use your software? The same really with daa format (don't use it myself really, but I've been around enough people that did :/ ).

Perhaps make daa/vcd support a feature of the full version?

Comment

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos View Post
                      But wouldn't that make more people use your software? The same really with daa format (don't use it myself really, but I've been around enough people that did :/ ).
                      Perhaps make daa/vcd support a feature of the full version?
                      You missed what LOC said before, one of the biggest reasons they do not support .daa is becasue these images mostly comes from pirated wares, and they do not in any way support that.

Comment

I was adressing a specific arguement here. Instead of driving people to competing software, they would get them itself.

I totally understand not wanting to support piracy, but truth to be told, thats really what made it popular in the first place. (I know they might not like to hear that) Essentially even now its a enabler since people can just make images and pass them around to other daemon tool users.

I can also understand the extra work involved, that was why I suggested making it a full pro only feature, then if people want it, they'd have to pay for it.

Comment

What you also fail to realize is that they can't just arbitrarily add support for proprietary formats. They have to get permission from the owner of that format. It might be possible to reverse-engineer support for it, but why should they waste development time doing that for a competing format they don't care about?

Comment

The two reasons I could think of would be

1. Because users have requested it.
                            2. It would mean more users of deamon tools software and people wouldn't have to go to a competing product to get the files to work and since only the paying Daemon tool could do it = more money.

But you're right, I can see the issues in getting permission to use the format.

Comment

Not everyone distribute illegal content with .daa files its a better one to compress and save space so if you support that one also then i think everything will use DT ...
                              sir most of the developers having problems with .daa to .iso conversion means .iso takes more space compared to .daa so think over it and plese support .daa image also
                              thnx and waiting for ur reply soon...

Comment

Working...
                              X