No announcement yet.

Concerns over .daa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can also create compressed mds/mdf files if you own the original disc...

Comment

pseudo555, I have used daa and found that it has the best compression compared to others, including isz and mds/mdf.

However, daa has an option to select normal or a "best compression". Is that kind of option available for mds/mdf as well? If so, what tool can compress to mds/mdf using a "best compression" option? Maybe such an option could be better than daa.

Comment

I've seen my share of pirated software and I have never come across any .daa files ever, pirated or legit. This thread is the first place I've ever even heard of it.

Some interesting info on it's compression capabilities. I wonder if you could just open their format with any zlib compression software? (I'm not sure as never used that)

IMO it's just to keep you using their software, but that can be said of any proprietary software.

Comment

The daa2iso tool's source code shows exactly how to read the format and what it's about... it's a sequence of zlib/lzma compressed chunks. I assume the chunks are fairly small, to provide decent random acccess. This will however interfere with the compression ratio. I don't know how effective this scheme is...

Comment

Working...
          X