Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: 4GB DDR2 on WinXP 32bit - question

New User

Lächeln 4GB DDR2 on WinXP 32bit - question

Hey, I just got this new pc, duo core 2 E6600, 4GB DDR2 800, EVGA 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3.

It's awesome, fastest thing I have ever used, but Windows can only see 2.75GB (bios sees all of it). I looked it up online and most posts agreed with each other that WinXP 32bit can only see about that much, never a full 4. The windows site says that you will never see that other ram you got...but...all the sites also say that windows reserves 1 or 2 GB. It never says if other programs have access to that extra 1.25GB or not, or if I will only be able to use 2.75GB forever

Experienced User

Shortly : it's 2.75 GB for everybody

little longer
    If you want to have access to all your memory, you either need a windows 2003 (edition you want) or a x64 windows...
    Vista 32bit edition has the same problem...
    Carpe diem

Master

It's a limitation of 32-bit operating systems, as Kinlaadare said. However, you should check your BIOS for a "memory remap" option to enable the full 4GB of RAM for Windows. Though again, you will not be able to take full advantage of it with a 32-bit OS anyway. Only 64-bit OS's can utilize greater than 4GB of RAM, and the 32-bit Windows can't really use more than 2GB technically (though certain apps can utilize the remainder).

New User

hey thanks for the answers, i appreciate it.

This may be a dumb question, but can you run 64-bit windows on a duo core 2? I know almost nothing about 64-bit stuff.

Yes, as Intel's website explains, All Intel® Core™2 Duo processors feature: [...] Intel® 64 architecture
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Master

I forgot to mention, you can edit the boot.ini and make Windows allocate 3GB of the RAM for applications instead of 2GB. In the boot.ini, add /3gb to the command-line parameters. If you do switch to a 64-bit OS (either XP x64 or Vista x64), this is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
    It's a limitation of 32-bit operating systems, as Kinlaadare said. However, you should check your BIOS for a "memory remap" option to enable the full 4GB of RAM for Windows. Though again, you will not be able to take full advantage of it with a 32-bit OS anyway. Only 64-bit OS's can utilize greater than 4GB of RAM, and the 32-bit Windows can't really use more than 2GB technically (though certain apps can utilize the remainder).
    There is a way for an application to address far more than the VAS limitation by using CreateFileMapping() http://msdn2.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa366537.aspx
    Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
    In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Master

Perhaps I'm dense, but I don't see what you're talking about. Care to pinpoint the section you're referring to?

Sorry mate, I didn't explain it all too well. You can allocate far greater sizes while not mapping it all at once. See this example here

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar...10/211890.aspx
    Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
    In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Master

I see what you're saying. I think we're both saying the same thing, just differently. Applications can be coded to use more than 2GB of RAM in a 32-bit OS, though the OS itself can still only use 4GB of RAM total.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast