Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

support for WIM (Windows Imaging Format)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• support for WIM (Windows Imaging Format)

Would be nice to see this in a future version.
    "The Windows Imaging Format (WIM) is a file-based disk image format. It was developed by Microsoft for use in its upcoming operating system releases. Windows Vista and Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs use it as part of their installation procedure."
    "Like other disk image formats, a WIM file contains a set of files and associated filesystem information. However, unlike sector-based formats (such as .ISO, .CUE/.BIN used for CD and DVD images), WIM is file-based, which means that the smallest unit of information is a file. The advantages of it being file-based include hardware independence, the ability to use heavy compression, and unique storage of a file referenced multiple times in the filesystem tree (single instance storage). It also allows packing multiple image files into only one file."

I believe that WIM is proprietary. So don't count on it. And besides why would you want to anyway?

"The advantages of it being file-based include hardware independence"
    LOL

"the ability to use heavy compression"
    LOL x2 I'll ask this: Any idea why RAR compresses better with the "solid" option on? Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_compression and then think image vs file.

"and unique storage of a file referenced multiple times in the filesystem tree (single instance storage)"
    LOL x3 Microsoft just invented Symbolic Links!!!!! I wonder if they're going to file for a patent!

"It also allows packing multiple image files into only one file."
    Isn't that what a directory is for? Cross platform too? :P

Sorry for being sarcastic but I can't help it when I read marketing hype like that....
    Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
    In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Comment

The WIM format is for making images of your HDD, not for general images for storage. It's used for installation of Windows Vista. As for the file referencing (Symbolic Links as you put it), MS has been doing that for years on their MSDN discs. The earliest I'm aware of for certain is Win2k, where they would put Win2K Pro, Server and Adv. Server on the same CD. There may have been earlier ones, but I'm not aware of them. You may not like MS, but you don't need to jump down their throats on everything they say.

Comment

Sorry mate but all I see is MS trying to promote proprietary formats and APIs in order to grab indirect monopolies. And in their marketing fud they are creating the perception that it's their own achievement. Symbolic Links have been a feature of *nix operating systems for decades...yet they present it as an exciting new feature... They even advertised it as their own technology when finally they decided to put it in Vista... I guess I'm just fed up with seeing people actually falling for those marketing tricks...

Comment

Well, I'm sure they created their own version of it. Marketing always tries to promote things in the best light. You won't see any marketing campaign for any product that will say another competing product had it first or has a better version of anything. Nothing to get upset about. It's just the way of the world. For example, DTools Pro is advertised as having a Tages dumper. A big thing. Another product that I won't mention was able to do it long before DT Pro came out (although DT Pro does it better). Are you upset at DT for making a big deal of this feature of DT Pro?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no MS apologist or anything. But it irks me when I see people jumping on a "bash this company" or "bash that company" bandwagon, when there's little to no reason to bash them at all. If they do something wrong, ride their case. If not, what's the point?
          Last edited by Jito463; 29.06.2007, 19:30.

Comment

well, I was just hoping for a quick way to modify my vista disk image. The alternative is downloading the sdk from microsoft .. a mere 992 MB

Comment

Well it's no great feat to do that. All they had to do is modify open source code as they've done in the past without any credit whatsoever.

Tages on the other hand is. It requires lots of hard work and Reverse Engineering to even figure out it's workings...Then you have to implement a method of copying it. This analogy is not good.

And seriously I'm not bashing Microsoft. But I can't help but state the obvious and I don't like proprietary APIs and formats that you have to do a lot of guessing of their workings and undocumented features. You can't debug their source when you need to and you need to license them for everything you do. And then they overglorify them by such statements.

Anyhow we got a bit a offtopic here. ninjizer250 even if DT supported mounting such images, in order to modify them you'd need write support anyway. I suggest going with the SDK tools.

Comment

Working...
              X