No announcement yet.

Antivir Virus found in Daemon Tools Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My just purchased Version of Daemon Tools Pro is also affected. BitDefender v10 detects a "Trojan.Dloader.AZO" and blocks it (more specificly the setuphlp.dll. Now I don't know what you guys are pulling for stunts regarding the license check (I presume that's what it's all about - if not please correct me), and for my part messing with the adware version of Dtools is fine - but please don't do it with the payed version. I'm fine with paying for good software and in so doing supporting the developers, but I don't like software which tries to mess with the users machine to achive some kind of control over the validity of their license. This never really works and only - pardon my choice of words here - pisses of the users who are paying. I thought you of all guys should know this. These are my two cents ...

Comment

BitDefender v10 detects a "Trojan.Dloader.AZO" and blocks it (more specificly the setuphlp.dll
      That is most definitely a false positive.

Now I don't know what you guys are pulling for stunts regarding the license check (I presume that's what it's all about - if not please correct me), and for my part messing with the adware version of Dtools is fine - but please don't do it with the payed version
      So you don't want encryption & copy protection on files?

but I don't like software which tries to mess with the users machine to achieve some kind of control over the validity of their license.
      I don't believe the protection messes with the system, I believe the AV just mess with it by saying files are false positives when the AV devs are too lazy to update their definitions to detect what really is or isn't a virus. I deal with packed files a lot and it drives me nuts when some AV apps say things are malicious, when clearly, they are not. So I say it all comes down to the antivirus programs developers, not the DT devs.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sir Camehan View Post
        So you don't want encryption & copy protection on files?
        No. Why should there be any? To what purpose?

Comment

No. Why should there be any? To what purpose?
          To help minimize piracy. Sure, it will not stop it being cracked at all, but it will slow down the rate by a few days, a few weeks at the most. I don't think the current system is really that restrictive at all, and the retail version is still uncracked, which is proving something.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sir Camehan View Post
            To help minimize piracy. Sure, it will not stop it being cracked at all, but it will slow down the rate by a few days, a few weeks at the most. I don't think the current system is really that restrictive at all, and the retail version is still uncracked, which is proving something.
            How can you be sure that the retail version is uncracked? There is no way to know that. Someone somewhere might have a working crack... Try google or, I don't know, some sites where you can usually find cracks or something, but you might be disappointed.

Comment

False positive or not, would be nice to now why in the dtprohlp.dll (installed with the registered version too) there are these strings present:

What that dll does ?

Comment

Also a happy user of NOD32. Small footprint, fastest engine without compromizing detection (quite the contrary), excellent heuristics engine.

That said, regarding the dll, without actually taking a look at it I can make an educated guess that the adware installer is present in there (to be used if you install the adware version) or checks to if the adware is present for the adware version since that's a license related library. The later option is more likely than the former. If it's the installer they may have packed it there so that it can not be easily bypassed by editing the primary installer rules (which would be a kid's work). I'm fairly sure that my DT Pro installation isn't adware infested because I'm running Wireshark prety often on this rig and I'm capturing/analyzing network packets constantly. I would have detected it.
                Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
                In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Comment

Ok well, i just want to say that i use Comodo Antivirus and Comodo Firewall which both are free for life and very light for system. Comodo Antivirus got a HIPS system and Firewall has passed every leaks and is classified as the best firewall for the moment.

you can have a look at
                  Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) is a Free open source platform to detect threats and investigate the entire lifecycle of the threat.

With Comodo i don't have any false positive.
                  The AdAware version i tried first has been detected by the firewall but anyway was normal and i was aware so no blame.

I don't recommand Avira since version 7, precisely when it became not free anymore, they have included themself adware to give adverts about Professional edition.
                  I tried once on a system, i have uninstalled that as fast as i had installed, after seeing that popup... Its completely unacceptable for me.

ESET is good product, but sometimes on a few system, that can for an unknown reason, block your surf, suddenly you can't access any webpage.
                  However the Heuristic method of Eset sucks hard, because it doesn't detect any new malware or virus, for proof, i've been completely infected while using it by an unknown threat which NOD32 did not find at all.
                  Prevx software (www.prevx.com) have removed all.
                  My computer been taken over by that shit !

If it happens to you don't worry, just uninstall your ESET product, and if it still happen then i suggest you do theses commands :

On MS-DOS Console write :
                  netsh int ip reset all
                  netsh winsock reset

Then reboot your computer.

All your network cards(WIFI included) will be reset and winsock will be restored.
                  This will repair your lan network. And if it doesn't work then you must fix IP/DNS in Windows.

Avast antivirus can occur the same problem so follow my advices as well.
                  Last edited by PegHorse; 23.08.2007, 01:11.

Comment

NOD32 isn't anti-adware or anti-spyware, it's anti-virus. Just like all the other Anti-virus software out there. Yes, it can detect some spy/adware, but that's not it's primary function. Though they do have a new beta that's firewall, anti-spy/adware, etc, all built in. And the very few times I let a virus slip past me, NOD32 was quick to catch it before it even finished downloading.

Personally, I don't trust free stuff. If it was worth anything, they wouldn't be giving it away. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Comment

Regular DT is also free stuff

Comment

Ok, ok. I should have said free antivirus software. :P

Anything that's supposed to secure your PC.

Comment

Working...
                        X