Antivir Virus found in Daemon Tools Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivir Virus found in Daemon Tools Pro

I just recently bought Daemon Tools Pro. Now, the annoying thing is, that Antivir keeps finding a potential virus in "dtprohlp.dll".

I'm sure it is a false alarm, I've already sent them the file to check it an exclude it from the virus signatures. So far nothing happened.

Since it is quite annoying to have to turn off Antivir on every computer startup (and tunring off the virus scanner isn't really the thing why you've installed an antivirus programm -besides the fact that I too paid quite a lot of money for an Antivir subscrition) -is there any other workaround? Can I maybe simply delete this file?

Thanks a lot!

Daedalus3

its a false allarm. dont worry.
    My sysProfile!

Comment

You should be able to add DT Pro to Ignore-List (as it seems Avira still hasn't got rid of this false alarm completely - heuristic check from what I know; but at least they should work on it from what I know)...
      Regarding: "Can I maybe simply delete this file?"
      Joke: If that would be possible, would it then really be included?
      Seriously: No, if you delete that file DT Pro shouldn't start at all anymore...

Comment

I was sure it was a false alarm, it just is annoying.

Moving it to the ignore list doesn't really work -trying antivir to "ignore" it, it just pops up another "virus found" message on the same file.

@ghost_zero: I'm glad I made you laugh BUT the name "dtprohlp.dll" made me think of this file as the file that might been the one for the "ask for support" function or maybe the one that collects the data for the support. Well, if I'm not in need of using the support-function, why would I need the file?
        That was my thaught ;-)

Comment

isnt it possible in Avira Antivirus to exclude the whole Daemon Tools Pro folder. that would be the easiest way to prevent this false alarm.
          My sysProfile!

Comment

It took my quite some time but I finally found that option. Thanks @LooDos!
            (wow, the Avira guys really hid that option but it nevertheless is a function one probably shouldn't use that often )

Comment

you can upload the dtprohlp.dll to Avira to fix that problem.

Comment

Originally Posted by Daedalus3 View Post
                <snip>

I'm sure it is a false alarm, I've already sent them the file to check it an exclude it from the virus signatures. So far nothing happened.
                <snip>

Thanks a lot!
                Daedalus3
                Apparently, he already did.
                http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Yes, I already did. I again sent the file three days ago using the webpage-upload -so far no answer.
                  Bye the way, the "ignore" feature of AntiVir still doesn't work.
                  I typed in all pathes and files of deamon-tools, it still pops up a warning message about every 2 minutes.

So deactivating AntiVir is the only thing that saves me from these annoying popups.

Maybe the deamon-tools developers can get in touch with Avira? (this could maybe put a little more "pressure" on them to finally fix this false alarm...)

Comment

All right, I finally got a response from Avira:

ID1095373 dtprohlp.dll 360.95 KB Status: MALWARE

dtprohlp.dll from today on not only will be classified as "HEUR/Crypted", but offically as "MALWARE". This is due to an ad-/spywarte component found in dtprohlp.dll.

GREAT, that isn't exactly what I wanted, but at least I got an answer.
                    Now -what to do?

Comment

please WHAT??

Damn, that guys at Avira soon drives us nuts!
                      We even have a customer who is in beta-team there.

Maybe we now have to announce to not use Avira anymore
                      but something else when you plan to use DT Pro. It is obvious
                      they are not capable to handle complex process to identify
                      real spyware/adware and a LICENSEkeyfile which has ABSOLUTLEY
                      NO adware NOR spyware in it.

My goodness

Comment

maybe you can try to get in touch with them.. and explain them that it is definitely not malware!

Comment

The majority of scanners get it right :-

Shot at 2007-07-07

Comment

Obviously if the malware is found via heuristics, then it's just an assumption. IMAO, their heuristics engine is flawed.

Comment

Knowing the DT team, its more than wrapped with UPX, since UPX is incredibly easy to unwrap

I've been using Bitdefender 8 for ages and I havent ran into any false positives yet with packed/encrypted files That says something about this Avira crap which I tried in the past...

Comment

Working...
                              X