Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special version ?

Hello, :wink:

I am aware that my question can appear incongruous ...

Here is the matter, i live in a country where, recently, somes options in DAEMON Tools are illegals.

In France this law is called the DADVSI.
    I know that there also of other countries which have the same problem.

I think to the options which allow to simulate a protection.

It is possible, not complicated to make a version without theses options, or simply without the ability to activate/use then ?

Daemon Tools remain a very good program, sincerly i continue to use it, but perhaps it would be a great thing for the large distribution of the program if the dev team give an 'very-lite' version ...

What do you think ?

DADVSI is a very bad law!

Hi! (Kamarad)...maybe are you french

Sorry, but DADVSI is a very bad law made by a no democratic government (by major's influence)!

Don't forget that politic men don't know computer's domain!

If a law is bad I don't respect it!

I have bought all our games (never but never pirated) and I have got all their images by alcool and mounted by daemon tools!

If Daemon tools will be "lite" you cannot play with their images

Freedom fall down in France!

Best regard and fight for freedom!

joeldecaroual responsable technical support in somua.com

Comment

Hi joeldecaroual,

Do you think that I stopped using DAEMON Tools ?
      (Hey dev. team, Daemon Tools Pro is very Great, Thanks.)

But the problem is that it is now in France prohibited speaking, promote, own, distribute, or support any program as Daemon Tools wich have the capacity to circumvent any protection, even if that is useful within the framework of the private copy.

I make the french translation of the Lite version, and it is for me a problem when i want to promote my work in my country...

An inoffensive version would be the ideal to speak about the software, even if I am conscious that would kill the spirit of the software.

After each one would choose the version which it installs, we do not make of illusions, but at least it would be possible to maintain a contact official with the program.

But i understand well, that especially after the output of DEMON Tools Pro, it is not the priority of the programmers

And yes, i fight for freedom, for the eternity :wink:

Comment

Hello
        DAVSI's problem is that it was promulgated by guys who don't even understand computers.
        It is intented to refrain the use of tools to modifiy drms... and to protect author's rights (officially)...

Problem here is that it puts in the same bag the user (who can do legits an illegal things) who has a conscience, and the software which has no conscience by definition. It's like forbidding knives because you can harm or kill with it.

To come back to DT, it does not modify nor avoid the protection/drm... so it's not technically forbidden in France.
        Carpe diem

Comment

Legal discussion

Hi Kinlaadare,

I am not completely of agreement.

Demon Tools can emulate a protection so that it is possible to play for example a game starting from an image file.
          Please correct me if i make a mistake.

Even if you have the original, this amounts circumventing a protection intended to protect a work.

However this became illegal in France.

:wink:

Comment

What Kinlaadare meant is that DT Lite/DT Pro does not bypass or remove the copy protection. It's all still there. It duplicates or emulates the copy protection. So on technical aspects alone, DT is not illegal. Whether that would hold up in court is another question entirely.

Comment

Hi all and you "Le Chaland"!

OK I well have understood what you mean, but I confirm "In France (in theory) you cannot made tutorial, translation about DT, Alcohol etc..on a French forum, if the forum is in France or (non exclusive "OR") the site's administrator is "French Nationality".

You have another solution:

You can make your work for Belgium; Switzerland, Canada cause French language is also speaking in these lands!

In all cases one of these days DADVSI will be modified cause it's not logical:

"In France you can make a legal copy of a program you have bought legaly (games, film; music...etc) "private copy exception, only 1 legal copy by DVD" but it's illegal to make a tutorial than explains methods to make this copy!"

Best regards!

joeldecaroual

Comment

very interesting insights in the nature of french politicans

well, laws can change and we will see what will happen in
                france - sooner or later there are elections again; thats the
                point were the brave men must shout out loud.

What concerns the legality of DT: it is same as in germany...

DT itself (valid of course only for DT LITE!) is 100% legal, as
                it is an EMULATOR and cant bypass the protection by itself.
                It doesnt touch the protection at all. In fact, it is from technical
                point of view nothing else then a real DVD-ROM, but in SOFTWARE.
                This was confirmed to us for germany as well,
                this is also the reason why products as "Virtual Drive" are
                even sold in stores - still!

What concerns tutorials: As already suggested above by
                others, you can publish them somewhere else. You can even
                contact us and we publish them for you

I agree that more and more laws today will lead to total
                disrespect of law and order - because of stupid politicans
                that only respect interests of a small minority. In case of
                france it seems even personal interests of some company
                is involved.

I can only hope we can make enough pressure for "fair use"
                in EU in general and this way overcome the national laws.
                But even with other circumstances, we will not stop fighting

Comment

DT itself (valid of course only for DT LITE!) is 100% legal, as it is an EMULATOR and cant bypass the protection by itself.
                  OUF !!! (in French)

(don't know the exact English translation of OUF, it means what you say when you encountered a risk and you finally avoid this risk at the last limit e. g. you stop your car just a few centimeters before a big cliff)

Olivier

Comment

and what exactly you want to tell me with these words?

Of course there is a chance that someone sues you - no
                    doubt. The statement is what we got from lawyer who is
                    specialized in such laws, unfortunatly not for new french law.

Nevertheless, from the words and meaning of this law, I can
                    not see how DT would be illegal - but after all, you can not
                    even trust a lawyer for his statement, as you know, when it
                    comes to courts, everything is possible. Especially in Europe
                    lately

in Europe its hard nowadays to believe politics are made for
                    their citizens (in fact I believe they are not)

Conclusion: after all, it all depends on the person, the country
                    he lives in and if that person will take such risks. Lets say
                    100% safe statement can noone make for France. So better forget
                    about my "100% legal" statement for France.

Comment

Hi,

Circumventing a protection is punished, even if that is used to play and not to copy...

The simple fact of circumventing (to even emulate) a protection is prohibited.

Dt makes it possible to play games downloaded on the p2p for example.You will agree that it is in that this program can be used for piracy.

This law is there for that, there was too much abuse, and now, DT is illegal and prohibited here ....
                      It is for this same reason that it is interdict to also promote the programs of p2p.

To summarize:

The French law said that whoever develops, supports, or helps with the distribution of a program able, even if it is not its original intention, to make an illegal action by violating the royalties, is liable to justices continuations.

I am administrator - moderator in a site and I know well this what we must pay attention now.
                      That becomes about it of paranoia.

We are taken for imbeciles, of with dimensions one prohibits to us to copy, even for us even without sharing, and other, one makes us pay a tax on supports like the memory boards of cameras numerical as a tax for the private copy contractually to compensate the majors for general piracy.
                      It is true that many people place a film divx on a memory card.

The robbers are not those which one thinks
                      This to explain you current climate in France.

Thank you for your attention

Comment

Working...
                      X