Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Steam Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master

Default Steam Community

Ok, so am I alone in hating Steam Community? I tried posting that I wanted it to be optional for Episode 2 and Portal (and preferably Team Fortress 2) on the Steam forums, and I get nothing but grief. Everyone from forum members to Valve employees ganged up on me to basically tell me I should shut up, sit down and learn to accept it.

Considering how much grief I got over there, I thought I'd use a more neutral forum (here) to see if I'm honestly alone in this. Don't post to tell me I should learn to accept it, I got that enough on the Steam forums. I just want to know if anyone else feels the same way as me?

Or am I really alone here?

Experienced User

I don't know anything about the Steam Community, however - I don't like Steam itself.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=7886

Experienced User

Any particular reason you don't like Steam Community?
    I find it a quick, easy way to follow my in-game stats and the stats of my friends.
    Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Master

Yes, the fact that I don't want it. It's unecessary baggage running that is not needed for the games. Achievements work without it. I don't want Friends, but have to use it for TF2 if Steam Community is enabled or I show up as "Unnamed" (which is how this whole thing got started).

It's trying to compete with the likes of XFire, which is fine. But I don't run XFire for the same reason I don't want Steam Community. And I posted all of those points over on the Steam forums, and got nothing but argument after argument about why I should like it.

I guess I must be one of a very few people who think this is utter crap. I setup a batch file to automate replacing GameOverlayUI.exe with a dummy file every time I restart Steam just so I don't have to manually replace it or deal with it running.

I took the time to set that all up because this is how much I hate Steam Community. Not just dislike, I utterly hate it.

Experienced User

Ups, I guess I mixed something up, you talk about the "Steam Community" Feature within Steam and not the Forum Community....

Experienced User

Yes I agree, It's totally unnecessary & unwanted by me too