Steam Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Community

Ok, so am I alone in hating Steam Community? I tried posting that I wanted it to be optional for Episode 2 and Portal (and preferably Team Fortress 2) on the Steam forums, and I get nothing but grief. Everyone from forum members to Valve employees ganged up on me to basically tell me I should shut up, sit down and learn to accept it.

Considering how much grief I got over there, I thought I'd use a more neutral forum (here) to see if I'm honestly alone in this. Don't post to tell me I should learn to accept it, I got that enough on the Steam forums. I just want to know if anyone else feels the same way as me?

Or am I really alone here?

I don't know anything about the Steam Community, however - I don't like Steam itself.

Comment

Any particular reason you don't like Steam Community?
      I find it a quick, easy way to follow my in-game stats and the stats of my friends.
      Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

Yes, the fact that I don't want it. It's unecessary baggage running that is not needed for the games. Achievements work without it. I don't want Friends, but have to use it for TF2 if Steam Community is enabled or I show up as "Unnamed" (which is how this whole thing got started).

It's trying to compete with the likes of XFire, which is fine. But I don't run XFire for the same reason I don't want Steam Community. And I posted all of those points over on the Steam forums, and got nothing but argument after argument about why I should like it.

I guess I must be one of a very few people who think this is utter crap. I setup a batch file to automate replacing GameOverlayUI.exe with a dummy file every time I restart Steam just so I don't have to manually replace it or deal with it running.

I took the time to set that all up because this is how much I hate Steam Community. Not just dislike, I utterly hate it.

Comment

Ups, I guess I mixed something up, you talk about the "Steam Community" Feature within Steam and not the Forum Community....

Comment

Yes I agree, It's totally unnecessary & unwanted by me too

Comment

@Jito463
              Given your response I can assume you're not alone in feeling this way.
              Sounds like something that should be made optional to me.
              Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

Well, it seems that sometimes complaining really does work.

The in-game overlay is no longer required for Orange Box games and will respect the setting to disable it
                Tested, confirmed and promptly thanked Valve for listening. Ah, the freedom of choice.

Comment

Working...
                X