Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Problem with Chaser PC CD Install Disc

Hi.
    Wonder if someone can help with a very odd problem.

I bought an original boxed copy of Chaser (PC Version, JoWood). When I try to install from disc 1 (the setup disc), it starts, opens the install window, allows me to choose a drive to install to, asks me to accept the terms and conditions and then when I click on "next" to start the install it starts reading the disc and then pops up a window saying:

"This CD was not verified as an authentic original. Please abort this installation, insert the original CD and restart installation."

Daemontools game database states Chaser uses Securom 4.84.76.0015.

I emailed JoWood support a while back and have got no reply from them.

I have tried this on 3 different pcs with different cd/dvd drives but the result is always as mentioned above.

Is there any way i can use alcohol/daemon tools or any other means to get this to work? Very annoying that an original boxed game should have this sort of problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Last resort would be to return the game to the store I bought it from but I would like to avoid that if possible as I want to play this game!

Thanks in advance.....

If your original disc doesn't get verified as original an self created image can't be verified as original too. You have to get a replacement disc.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Thanks for replying Blazkowicz.

Is there no way of daemon tools mounting an image of the disc and emulating securom in its place? Sorry if this is a daft question but I am not familiar with daemon tools and copy protection schemes.

Comment

You could try create image and download mds file from copybase oder dede1 (don't know if these both have Chaser MDS). If they don't have one and you don't find anything on the internet the only way is to wait for an answer of publisher.
        Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
        Peace Through Power

Comment

If you have the UK version of the game, try the Emergency Fix:

Find your domain name at HugeDomains. Start using this domain right away.

Jowood wanted to protect it so well that many original copies refuse to work...

Comment

After searching Jowood technical support forums i have to say installation of this game (and support) was/is a horror for many people.

I'm not too optimistic it will help, but here some links (which you've most likely already read):

I'm not sure, but i guess the install fix doesn't address your issue
            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

I cant find country info anywhere on the box or the CD. I did try the patch - it didnt work.

Originally Posted by tonkpils View Post
              If you have the UK version of the game, try the Emergency Fix:
              Find your domain name at HugeDomains. Start using this domain right away.

Jowood wanted to protect it so well that many original copies refuse to work...

Comment

Thanks for the effort Terramex, but I have already been through all those links. The game simply will not install.

I went so far as to install Win 98SE on an old spare PC just to check if it was a Win XP SP2 issue. No luck on the Win98 install either. Now I have tried 4 different drives, 2 DVDRW's, 1 CD Rom Drive and 1 CDRW. All give the same error.

If I dont hear anything from JoWood in the next couple of days I will simply return the game to the store for a refund. This is not an ideal solution for me as I really want to play this game...

Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
                After searching Jowood technical support forums i have to say installation of this game (and support) was/is a horror for many people.
                I'm not too optimistic it will help, but here some links (which you've most likely already read):

I'm not sure, but i guess the install fix doesn't address your issue

Comment

I found some german threads where people having the same problem with original disc report that they managed to install with a copy. So maybe what Balzkowicz described is worth a try.

I attached a mds file; maybe it fits your language version; if it doesn't and you still want to try: would you please attach your own mds file ?

P.S.:
                  I don't know whether that's true for other language versions two, but if one uses the fix with german version the install 100% won't work after that because of that fix. Just to be on "safe" side: delete the folder created by the fix.
                  Attached Files
                  I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

So maybe what Balzkowicz described is worth a try.
                    I didnt quite understand what Balzkowicz meant as I am not familiar with daemon tools or alcohol. I also assume he was referring to a German site (copybase oder dede1). Could you please clarify in a little more detail?
                    I attached a mds file; maybe it fits your language version; if it doesn't and you still want to try: would you please attach your own mds file ?
                    I got your file but am clueless on how its to be used. My language version is English but the box doesnt say whether its UK or US.
                    P.S.:
                    I don't know whether that's true for other language versions two, but if one uses the fix with german version the install 100% won't work after that because of that fix. Just to be on "safe" side: delete the folder created by the fix.
                    I couldnt read that post as its in German.
                    Lets first get the install working and then we can look at the AFTER bit. Many thanks again for your feedback. Help in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.
                    Cheers

Comment

Terramex I created an MDS file using alcohol but I dont know how to attach it to my post. Maybe I am not allowed to as I am a new member? I tried mounting the image using Alcohols virtual drive - no luck. It gave me the same reply as the CD was giving me. Should I burn it to a CD-R and try? Or does the fact that the virtual drive failed mean the CD-R will fail as well?

Comment

Originally Posted by gloworm View Post
                        I couldnt read that post as its in German.
                        The german link just includes what i've described in my post scriptum: if you use install fix with wrong language version it will 100% not install as long as the folder C:\Jowoodchaser exists.

Terramex I created an MDS file using alcohol but I dont know how to attach it to my post. Maybe I am not allowed to as I am a new member?
                        Just upload it to some file hoster like e.g. sendspace.com

I tried mounting the image using Alcohols virtual drive - no luck. It gave me the same reply as the CD was giving me.
                        In general Securom CDs have to be copied like this:

- create image with Alcohol profile Securom 4/5/7 (or Daemon Tools Pro: New Securom profile)
                        - when asked to select DPM speed choose a low speed

Securom check is based on reading times of certain sectors on the disc. The DPM stores the topology of the disc in the mds file to be able to emulate those reading times.
                        But -as Blazkowicz mentioned- if your original disc doesn't get verified as original an self created image most probably can't be verified as original too.
                        That's why we suggested to use some other mds file created of a hopefully better copy of Chaser.
                        To use it just rename it to the original mds' name and copy into image folder (as you've created your image with Alcohol you have to take the file with Subchannel).
                        If the mds doesn't fit your language version you will get some error meassge like: Unable to mount image

I don't know whether/which blacklistings existed at that time, but it shouldn't harm to use a current Antiblacklisting tool like YASU before gamestart to sort out possible error sources.

Or does the fact that the virtual drive failed mean the CD-R will fail as well?
                        In general, yes.
                        Last edited by Terramex; 10.12.2007, 14:21.

Comment

Working...
                        X