How to remove daemon tools search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove daemon tools search?

So I installed the latest version, not in the slightest bit expecting that they would add somethign so underhanded with their software. I don't check this site daily and my past experiences with daemon tools would never have made me think to check for something like this.

None the less, since installing the new daemon tools, my Internet explorer home page has been changed to daemon's search page. When I try to change it back to what I had previously, despite being on the administrator account, it tells me I do not have sufficient permission to access IE's options.

Not only this, when I try to type in a url to any webpages, it gives me an error. The only way I can go to a web page is by using this search tool and clicking on the relevant result.

As you can imagine, this is extremely less than ideal. I have since uninstalled daemon tools but it has not fixed my problem with Internet Explorer. I am hoping someone can tell me how to remove this software from my system, without having to a system rollback.

Try installing 4.11.1 and uncheck the Search Bar during installation.

Comment

In DT Lite 4.11 there is an optional DT Panel (not DT Search Panel).

We will add there a capability to search for image files on user PC using this search field.
      Also via DT Panel users can get access to Mount'n'Drive manager.

It is also planned to add to DT Panel some other useful features (plugins)

> since installing the new daemon tools, my Internet explorer >home page has been changed to daemon's search page.

Users are offered during installation to choose www.daemon-search.com as their default web browser home page and also choose as their default search provider (if you do NOT want support DT team you can simply not select this features during installation)

>Not only this, when I try to type in a url to any webpages, it >gives me an error. The only way I can go to a web page is by >using this search tool and clicking on the relevant result.

What kind of error do you get? Could you please specify exactly?

Comment

So how do you get rid of this mallware?

I installed Daemon Tools to my work laptop, because Microsoft instructed to do so, so I can mount an image of their Visual Studio.

During Daemon Tools install I did not notice that the "search tool" was selected.

Now I have uninstalled Daemon Tools and still this daemon search is pestering my internet explorer.

Many of our intranet webapplications use home page and now all these applications are broken because this mallware. And I do consider this mallware, if it breaks your other software from working.

I have gone through windows registry and running processes and I can't find the process that is changing the IE homepage to daemon-search continously.

I think Daemon Tools is a great software, but no responsible group seeks support/donations using mallware.

Comment

All the search-bar/adware options are deselectable during setup. You are not forced to install them. Having said that, you can also uninstall them after the fact from the Add/Remove Programs wizard. The adware is listed under WhenU.

Comment

I have this problem too, but WhenU isn't on add/remove programs - so I can't remove it!..

Comment

Search for Advantage in add/remove programs.

Also just click on the arrow in in internet explorer next to daemon search and select something else.

Regarding start page: Just enter your start page in tools/internet options.
              Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
              Peace Through Power

Comment

adware

Originally Posted by Jackal912 View Post
                I have this problem too, but WhenU isn't on add/remove programs - so I can't remove it!..
                WhenU is not used anymore in the latest version of DAEMON Tools.

edit: oops Blazkowicz beat me to the reply, I'll direct you to his post.
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

After reboot the main page of IE and firefox changes back to daemonsearch.
                  I installed and unintalled different versions of daemon tools with no effect.
                  I checked my whole HD for tags with deamon or WhenU. Also nothing there.
                  I checked my system with antivir, sofos, adaware--> nothing
                  I also tried to change the start page in the regestry, but after reboot the same problem appears again---> startpage daemonsearch.com.
                  Is there still no solution to get rid of this startpage problem??
                  thank
                  Rh1n0

Comment

Please make sure that you removed the adware that is bundled
                    with DAEMON Tools. Check your control-panel and remove it,
                    then the problem is gone, e.g.:

Also just click on the arrow in in internet explorer next to daemon search and select something else.

as stated above by blazkovicz.

Comment

hi LocutusofBorg,

I already did that, but there were no entries. I think I removed them already weeks ago.
                      I also clicked next to deamonsearch and selected another page.
                      And as I said, Iґm entering a new page after every reboot in tools/internet options.

At the moment I really donґt know what else to try.

List what I already tried:

-->no entries

click on the arrow in in internet explorer next to daemon search and select something else.
                      -->remains at the new entry but start page switches back to
                      daemontools

--->Iґm doing this after each reboot. switches back as soon as Iґm starting may laptop again.

changing the startpage entry in the regestry.
                      --> switches back after reboot

Installing and unstalling the newest version of daemontools,
                      also the light version with all different kinds of install konfigurations.
                      --->still the daemonsearch.com

testing may system with several programs
                      antivir, kasperski, sofos, adaware.
                      ---> they found nothing

I think I tried everything I read in this forum, but till now
                      I havenґt had any success.

Is there someting I forgot or sometiing else I could try?

thanks rh1n0

Comment

I am having the same issue and it is keeping me out of my juniper VPN network, very not cool! This bit of mess is malware and should be reported as such. If any of you have any tips on how to get rid of it please reply to this of email me. I have searched my whole computer for Advantage and WhenU with no success, they are not in add/remove programs either nor is any program on my computer that is listed under Daemon as the manufacturer

Comment

I take it by the lack of advice on this and other threads that there is NO WAY to remove the Daemon Search tool from Firefox or IE?

Is this correct?

I do not want to reinstall firefox and lose all of my bookmarks and extensions. So will someone please help us with this.

Before you re-post the exact same thing again, let me say I uninstalled in control panel, searched and deleted all Daemon-related programs form the hard drive and restarted the computer many times. And still I have to search through Daemon whenever I right click.
                          Someone please help.

Comment

As I said in this post (at the bottom), I can't speak for FF, but in IE the toolbar is always there. DTools just changes the default search engine to their own. Are you sure that FF doesn't have one by default? Opera has one even, and it just makes sense that FF would, too.

*EDIT*
                            Also, did you read the stickied post?

Comment

Here u go

K well i had same problem uninstalled daemon tools...then realized when u customize the toolbar in firefox...u can drag the search bar out into the toolbar folder thing. as far as home page fixes....no clue

Comment

Working...
                              X