This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the answer of some dev.

Buy Now DAEMON Tools Pro online. ---- is one of the variants.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

• Others done, but what is the context/meaning of this string:

8343 : Lead-Out

Ludwig

Comment

• It's a special zone on CD after the data track. In current context "Leat-out" means writting that zone.

Comment

• ok.

Do you have a good way saying it in your own language or did you just leave it to 'Lead-out' ?

Ludwig

Comment

• Leave it as it is, is the best.
            Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
            Peace Through Power

Comment

• OK, thanks for your help!

Comment

• I translated that string as "closing of session" (roughly translated back).
                Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

• In online English-Russian dictionary it's translated as "конечная зона" (ending zone). So, I used a similar translation for Ukrainian: "Запис кінцевої зони" (Writing ending zone)
                  Last edited by oder2; 11.07.2009, 21:58.

Comment

• oder2, it's not correct translation. It would be better if you used original string, e.g. 'Запис Lead-Out' or simply 'Lead-Out'.

Comment

• Well, if in destination language there is no translation for some specific term at all, any translation can be considered correct or incorrect. Lingvo is quite solid and trustworthy dictionary and regarding adoption of new terms Russian and Ukrainian languages usually do it the similar way. Even more, Russia is a bit ahead regarding adoption of computer terms from English and when our linguists start to think what word to use the Russian usually already has that word widely used and accepted by everyone. With that, it usually happens that Ukrainian just "borrows" a ready translation from Russian having adjusted it for its native pronounciation and spelling rules.
                      So, unless there is an officially approved translation in Ukrainian for Lead-in and Lead-out, "ending zone" is what describes the meaning most closely and gives some idea to uneducated user regarding what's going on with his/her drive.
                      If I translated it "Запис Lead-out" it would look as if I could not translate it at all because Lead-out is not a given name (not a technology, trademark, company name or anything like that) and in Cyrillic languages we do not normally write words with Latin script.
                      If you have better suggestions regarding how to describe Lead-In and Lead-Out verbally (instead of "ending zone") I'd be eager to hear those.

Comment

• Ok, you are official translator, so you are entitled to translate strings to Ukrainian as you please. I just want to inform you that 'Lead-out' is currently "translated" to Russian as 'Lead-out'. Concerning translation, it seems to me 'Закрытие сессии' is more correct than 'Конечная зона'.

Comment

• As for "Закрытие сессии", it could be quite fine but there is also one subtle moment about it. The phrase "Закрытие сессии" is interpreted by a reader rather as an action than as an event. And as far as I know, the track is saved the way that first some 20 Mb is reserved for Lead-in, then the data track is written and then Lead-in and Lead-out are both saved after it's done with the data itself. This way it would look as if the data is first saved and then both "Открытие сессии" и "Закрытие сессии" is done and that could be quite confusing for a user. So, I would like to avoid verb-based phrases in translation so that it looked just as a sequence of events which do not bear any time ordered relations in user's mind.

Comment

• You're right, but the string under diskussion is used only in Device Info dialog. It is a number of sectors used for session closing. So "Закрытие сессии" could not be interpreted by user as an action.

Comment

• Hm... That's a completely different thing.
                              OK, changed to "Кінець сесії" (Session end). Thanks.

Actually, all the possible variants: "Кінець сесії", "Закриття сесії", "Завершення сесії" sound unnatural with number of sectors to me.
                              Last edited by oder2; 13.07.2009, 16:35.

Comment

• By the way, would not it be better to automatically account all the translators as beta-team so that we could preview and correct our strings in new interface before it's released?

Comment

Working...
                                X