This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .DAA .UIF Support And More Suggestion For DT Pro

I Think That Daemon Tools Have To Support UIF(MagicIso)
    And DAA(Poweriso)
    And I Seen That When Making Image Its Save As
    MDS(I Think Also MDF) .
    But Why There No Option To Save As More Like ISO/BlindWrite/
    Nero Etc..

In Daemon Tools You Can Make Image only from disc..
    But In other softwares like Power/MagicIso,Nero Etc
    Its Possible To Make Image Files For Files And Folders.
    So Maybe You Do In Next Version Feature To Make Image File From File?

Hey NMDanny,
    I definately agree with you. I've been using Daemon-Tools for years and the fact that it doesn't support .uif or .daa format really urks me because I have to go and install MagicISO and PowerISO on my computer which is just extra stuff I would rather not download. I will continue to use Daemon Tools whenever I can, but it seems that most images that I obtain are of .uif or .daa format, so most of the time, I'm not using Daemon Tools anymore.
    It's true, that the images can be converted, but that's just an extra step for all of us.

Anyone else with thoughts?

Anyone at DT care to maybe let us in on some future release dates with these formats being supported?

Comment

This is another thread about things that are asked a lot!
      Use the search guys

@Zepholos: Where do you get those images from?

Comment

Now, see, I never run across .daa or .uif. Ever. Maybe because all my images are self-created. But, I'm curious like crashoverraid is, on where you guys are getting all these odd images that require their own program to mount?

I do SO hope that we're not talking about warez stuff here.

Well, I'm sure everyone knows that this stuff is illegal and not supported here in the slightest, so I'm sure that can't be the case.

Comment

The reason why you don't run across UIF is because everyone knows you can't use it in DT. And DT is the most commonly used prog for mounting, UIF is often overlooked. UIF is already compressed and can be compressed again. Hell a 700mb iso shrinks dramatically in UIF format. And then when you rar it, it gets even smaller. It would save alot of space archiving old isos....

Comment

If you can further compress a UIF file with WinRAR, then what that means is that it's not a very good compression algorithm. If it was good at compressing files, then WinRAR would not be able to shrink it further. Not to mention that DT Pro can create compressed MDF images now.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
              If you can further compress a UIF file with WinRAR, then what that means is that it's not a very good compression algorithm. If it was good at compressing files, then WinRAR would not be able to shrink it further. Not to mention that DT Pro can create compressed MDF images now.
              The fact that a compressed UIF can be further compressed might not mean it's doing a bad job. There's a tension between compression and being able to perform random access in files, so UIF might be sacrificing some compression to better support file I/O. This is one reason why NTFS compression is pretty mediocre. I'm not sure this is what's happening, but it's a possible legitimate excuse.

I wonder if compressed MDF performs better in this regard (I'm not using compressed images, so I haven't a ready test).

Comment

Originally Posted by mwb1100 View Post
                UIF might be sacrificing some compression to better support file I/O.
                Fair enough. I do have to wonder when we're going to see new formats stop popping up every other day. Sometimes, it's just as good an idea to use what's already there.

Comment

Peoples Uses DAA Cause It Have Advanced Compression..
                  But Im Not Sure That DT Can Support That Cause It Advanced Compression...

Comment

Is 4 topics down too much for some people?

Comment

Working...
                    X