Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC keeps rebooting after trying to install...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC keeps rebooting after trying to install...

Hello all!

I DLed and installed Daemon Tools Light last night, when asked to reboot system I did so. Now my PC keeps rebooting over and over and over....non-stop. Sometimes I get as far as the DMI check then it reboots again, sometimes I get to the HD check (which it sees) then reboots. I hit F8 and try safe mode; the PC just reboots over and over and can't get into safe mode either now. Same when I hit F8 and debug.

No, not a bad HD, it's a new one that was working jsut fine...PC is clean as well no conflicts. I'm pretty good with the PCs but never had this problem before.

I think Alcohol 120% was in my sys-tray at the time, but not sure...would this cause some sort of conflict?? If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a bootworm type virus. However, I've not installed any other program other than Daemon tools. So I'm thinking it may be a conflict with Alcohol 120% or something.

I would really hate to reformat with all the files that would be lost. I am hoping there is another way.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Shane

Having Alcohol installed would not cause a problem, which version of Alcohol is it that you have installed ?

Please try removing SPTD by downloading the installer and running then choose uninstall. You may need to boot to safe mode to do this

You can download the stand alone SPTD installer here

Then navigate to the SPTD key in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
    then set Start=4 to disbale, reboot enable all permissions for the SPTD/cfg key, delete the entire SPTD key in Services hive then reboot then reinstall.

Comment

Well, it'd be a good idea to update to latest Alcohol version of course.
      Anyhow, if you can't boot into normal, nor safe mode, check thread about problems with SPTD layer in common problems and solutions forum for procedure to disable SPTD in recovery console.
      If you have any crash related minidump (in Windows\Minidump folder) send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread.
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
        Having Alcohol installed would not cause a problem, which version of Alcohol is it that you have installed ?
        Please try removing SPTD by downloading the installer and running then choose uninstall. You may need to boot to safe mode to do this
        You can download the stand alone SPTD installer here

Then navigate to the SPTD key in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
        then set Start=4 to disbale, reboot enable all permissions for the SPTD/cfg key, delete the entire SPTD key in Services hive then reboot then reinstall.
        Thanks for the info.

The problem with this option is that I can't get into safe mode. I can't debug, go to last known good config or anything. If I hit safe mode, it just reboots to the point where it shows it's detecting the IDE drives, then shows my BIOS version and HD it's seeing, then reboots over and over and over....the same thing. The only thing I can do is go into the BIOs settings and that is it. I can get to the F8/safe mode screen, but again, if I hit safe mode, it just reboots over and over.

Is there another way to get into the registry? I can't locate my Windows XP disk either...which is unfortunate at this point or is there a way to force the OS to start in safe mode?

Thanks again. Hopefully I do not have to reformat my HD as I have stuff in there that I'd hate to lose (I know, I should have backed up my files. Next time I will do so).

Not sure which version of Alcohol 120% I'm using. I just DLed and installed in about a week ago.

Thanks,
        Shane

Comment

I can't seem to locate my WindowsXP disk to get into the recovery console. I do have a Windows Vista disk on hand, would the Vista recovery console work for Win XP OS?

SAY YES!!!

Thanks in advance,

Shane

Comment

It should work the same.

Comment

Originally Posted by drdetroit View Post
              Hello all!
              ... Sometimes I get as far as the DMI check then it reboots again...
              Imho, DMI check performs before your system read MBR to load your OS, it looks like HW problems.
              Welcome to the dark side, my dear padavan. We have cookies

Comment

Working...
              X