Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Much file activity on 2 mounted ISOs locks/crashes WinXP???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much file activity on 2 mounted ISOs locks/crashes WinXP???

So I just bought and installed Daemon Tools Pro Advanced, after the last free version I had installed (and had removed) had locked up when I tried to do the following:

1. Mount 2 ISOs
    2. Run a directory/file comparison program between the mounted volumes

I'm using "Beyond Compare", a really good tool for doing comparisons. When I mounted the two ISOs, however, and ran the comparison tool (which does a lot of intense file activity on the mounted volumes), the cursor and keyboard basically froze, and nothing I did could bring the system back (CTRL-ALT-DEL, for example). The screen was not updated (clock didn't tick over, for example), and I heard no more disc activity as well, which made me think the system had gotten into some frozen state.

So I paid my money and bought DT Pro Advanced, thinking this would behave better.

Nope, behaves exactly the same.

Is DT very fragile this way? Will a large amount of simultaneous reads on 2 mounted ISOs crash the system? What's going on here? Anything like this happened to anyone else?

I am not a pleased customer at present.

- Tim

Provide your complete system specs, where are the images stored (local HDD, IDE, SCSI, SATA, internal, external, USB, Firewire, etc.), which controller and drivers (original Microsoft, or special vendor drivers), and what kind of images (image file format, program, game, any protection)?
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Well copytrooper asked exactly the right questions but also are you mounting to virtual SCSI or virtual IDE and do you have SPTD 1.55 (probably comes with latest pro version)?
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper View Post
        Provide your complete system specs, where are the images stored (local HDD, IDE, SCSI, SATA, internal, external, USB, Firewire, etc.), which controller and drivers (original Microsoft, or special vendor drivers), and what kind of images (image file format, program, game, any protection)?
        Thanks for letting me know what to report - I'll gather all the info and post it here.

- Tim

Comment

For two times already I had a similar issue: I had Video DVD ISOs mounted in vIDE and used DVD Shrink to make them fit on DVD5. (yeah, I know there are better ways..) Then the exact same thing happened: windows froze and I couldn't do anything except for a hard reboot by switching off the power supply.

So you're not the only one

BTW: since I encountered this problem I haven't tried it again in vIDE, works fine with the SCSI drives, so I guess it might have something to do with the vIDE...

EDIT: vIDE works perfectly fine for everything that doesn't produce heavy load on the virtual drive...

Comment

The problem was reproduced. Thank you for the report. Now it is in investigation process.
            DAEMON Tools Pro Support Team
            DAEMON Tools online help systems: http://daemon-help.com
            http://daemonpro-help.com

Comment

Any news on this topic? Will this problem be ficed in the next DT Pro version?

Comment

Please check SPTD-layer v1.56 and report your result:
                Need to mount or create an image? DAEMON Tools software is here at your service. Choose from laconic Lite, powerful Ultra or old but gold Pro and try for free.
                Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

installed SPTD 1.56 and ripping a DVD9 as I write this, will try to shrink it from a mounted vIDE soon and report back

Comment

Working...
                  X