Y not Support Archives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y not Support Archives?

I've seen some topics about requesting this featured and still it is denied.Basically i searched and found this 2005 topic.

It's not only the space saved from extraction,it is the long decompressing times that make it a must.

The only thing out there is winmount, that does support zip and rar, but it sometimes takes too long,and it is kinda buggy,and i wouldn't trade it for daemon tools.I'm not sucking up,I'm just saying that Daemon is the real deal and this function should be added in order to make it 100% complete.Y settle for winmount or whatever else is out there?

in the DAEMON Tools Daemon Tools Suggestions! forum there is a sticky entitled "some kind of compressed images support"
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

supporting rar or zip archives, especially ones containing protection signatures could have a bad side effect.. due to the nature of how the decompression works (m5->m1 / store), it could take a (relative) long amount of time to do the decompression, which could then offset the disk signature timings, ending in the protection not working...

add into that the overhead of having to deal with multiple files (of lets say 15-50mb each), along with the possibility of some of them being missing...

the overhead and problems caused by the compression algorythm (ie: time).. far outweigh any benefit it brings...

if you want compressed images use the daemon tools compressed format (which isn't close to winrar max compression.. but it is quick enough to do the job).. alternatively put the images on a compressed ntfs folder (though, this has also caused problems before)... or (best approach) unrar the images when you plan to use them, mount them, play, etc... and delete them when you don't need them (but keep the zip's/rars)... or use some external usb storage device.. after all hdd prices are considerably cheap these days...

the above views are just my personal opinion..
      my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Working...
      X