Need help with pc upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with pc upgrade

I bought my computer from the stores last year on february for 1.5 thousand. I noticed that the computer was slow for games and even some softwares that i've installed. So i replaced some parts:
    from an onboard video to a 512 8500gt
    512 ddr2 to 2048 ddr2 ram

It has improved slightly but not to my satisfaction.
    So I thought about getting a new processor but do not know whether the motherboard supports the core 2 duo E4700.
    Right now, my computer is running on:
    3ghz pentium 4
    512 8500gt
    around 400watts psu
    vista (which had came with the computer)

the motherboard info is:
    800fsb (but all i know is that it can use a pentium 4 and doubt that the fsb is any higher than 800)
    667mhz ddr2
    pci express
    2 sata connections

i've only 250 dol to spare and don't think i can build a whole new pc with that. so like i mentioned earlier, i wanted to get the E4700. all i want to know is whether it is possible to make this upgrade or not.

Impossible to tell without knowing the motherboard in the computer. Or - if it's a name brand computer and not a custom build - what the make and model of computer is.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
      Impossible to tell without knowing the motherboard in the computer. Or - if it's a name brand computer and not a custom build - what the make and model of computer is.
      It's a HP Pavilion A5020A
      You can view most its details from this site <http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=38742>
      there's not much info i can get about it, reasoning of mine asking for help.

Comment

Sorry but i dont think that it will work, its not the same socket for the processors the one you have now uses socket 478 and the dual core you mention uses 775.

Comment

Not necessarily. They did make P4's on the 775 socket. And given the time frame in which he bought it, as well as the rest of the specs on the system (DDR2, PCIe), it's very likely his board is 775. However, while the socket may be the same, there's no way to tell if his board supports the C2D processors without knowing the model.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
            Not necessarily. They did make P4's on the 775 socket. And given the time frame in which he bought it, as well as the rest of the specs on the system (DDR2, PCIe), it's very likely his board is 775. However, while the socket may be the same, there's no way to tell if his board supports the C2D processors without knowing the model.
            Correct my mistake, however based on the spec it still wont work with that processor. The only dual core processors that will work with your system are the P4 D 900 series ones, and the best one of them would be the P4 D 960 working at 3.6Ghz.

Your system supports:

Pentium D 900 series
            Pentium 4 601 series
            Celeron D 3xx series

Best regards

Comment

Wow, who knew there were all these techies in this forum ^^
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Actually, according to AMD (Ati), the Radeon Xpress 1100 chipset in his system DOES support the C2D processors. That's not to say that this board from HP might not be modified in such a way that it can't support them, but the chipset does have the necessary support.

ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1100 for Intel Desktops - Specifications

@Underheaven
                I make my living working on computers. This is my life practically.

Comment

According to HP the processor series i mentioned before is the only ones supported by this motherboard ( ECS RC415ST-HM ).

But as Jito says the Ati chipset has support for it.

Comment

Yeah, after searching for the board model, it does look like it's limited to the P4/PD series. You could try it, but there's no guarantees. Best to buy it from someplace that will allow returns, just in case. Assuming it doesn't work, there is one other possibility.

***WARNING***
                    The following suggestion could have dire consequences for your computer. Potentially leading to a completely unworkable system. Only attempt if you are absolutely certain you can handle possibly having to replace the board.
                    ***WARNING***

The only other alternative I can think of is to see if there's a similar model of board (or even the same model) on ECS's website, and try to flash the BIOS with a version that does support the C2D. Keep in mind that there are many ways this could go completely sideways on you, and you could toast your system. I would only suggest this as a final, last-ditch alternative if you really want to get the C2D working on your system and it doesn't work as-is.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Comment

Working...
                    X