No announcement yet.

Suggestion to DTpro - Beef up Library Managment, Add import and Export catalog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion to DTpro - Beef up Library Managment, Add import and Export catalog

Hi All,

I own DTPro. I'm using it to backup my collection of productivity, game, programming and assorted other cd/dvd's

As I embark on this process what annoys me the most is the library managing functions in Daemon Tools. Here is an example of how I use it and how it causes me some grief:

1) there exists a deeply nested folder called e:\isos
    2) within that folder there is a e:\isos\daemontools where I keep the mds and mdf files I make for my games which need special handling.
    3) so lets make a image of a game, lets say dagger fall, morrorowind + expansions, Oblivion + expansions, Might and Magic 6 -9, and some final fantasies.
    4) in the catalog we'll make some folder under "games"
    5) now we'll image a game say Morrowind (4 cd's).
    5) I try to remember to hand place each image in the right catalog place and the right image location (two different places on the requester!)
    6) looking back at my work I find:
    e:\isos\tribunal.md{s|f}
    e:\isos\morrowind\morrowind.md?
    e:\isos\morrowind\tes_construction_Set.md?
    e:\isos\daemontools\morrowing\bloodmoon.md?
    7) argh.
    8) no way in the ux to fix this -- I can move them in the catalog but it wont move them about on the disk.
    9) So I move them about on the disk, delete and read from the catalog and promptly loose my icons!
    10) I look at how I would backup the catalog and it's in my %userprofile%. erg.
    So I would like to see the following changes:

1) add a preference on where to store your catalog data. be cool if I could keep the catalog data WITH my images.
    2) add preference on where the catalog goes and the base folder.
    3) let me initiate a "Group session" where all the images (I'll tell you up front how many cd's -- like doing a winimage batch process) stay in the same place.
    4) let me have a way to backup the catalog.
    5) let me scan a folder or disk for image files and add them to the catalog -- be cool if I could "import" into a part of the catalog.
    6) keep changes in the catalog linked to physical disk location and not the "public folder" location which is not securable on Vista home and is not by default secured on vista premium/ultimate
    7) add the ability to extract cd icons from images. If the image does not have a cd icon, locate a "install" or "setup" or "game" and take that image for the cd icon image. or let me associate an icon with an image

antoehr cool thing would be make a way to load a given group into a set of virtual cd's and then, even cooler, associate those cd images with a vmware session (via vix api) if I wanted to. That would SO rock.

anyhow that's my set of feature suggestions :>

BTW I dont mind debating this, Learning a better workflow or talking /email/chatting with a developer so feel free to contact me via in board functions. PM me with your im address if you want to im/irc chat about this.

Sam S.
    Last edited by samstern; 30.08.2008, 05:59. Reason: clairfy title.

8) no way in the ux to fix this -- I can move them in the catalog but it wont move them about on the disk.
    Well, Image Catalog only contains links like your Desktop - that's why it doesn't move on disk.

4) let me have a way to backup the catalog.
    Just backup "c:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\DAEMON Tools Pro"

5) let me scan a folder or disk for image files and add them to the catalog -- be cool if I could "import" into a part of the catalog.
    What about using Image Search (File -> Search Images)

7) add the ability to extract cd icons from images. If the image does not have a cd icon, locate a "install" or "setup" or "game" and take that image for the cd icon image. or let me associate an icon with an image
    DT Pro is checking for autorun.inf and then takes the icon of the linked file (read from autorun.inf).
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
    X