Vista 32bit premium: EXPLORER.exe will not launch upon sytem reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 32bit premium: EXPLORER.exe will not launch upon sytem reboot

D-Tools lite install: When asked to restart my system running vista 32bit premium I did so and windows will launch but will not launch EXPLORER.exe at start up now. I have to manually do it from the control panel via the run prompt.Once i do that everythings back inc. the start menu etc. I'm only able to do that because it launches with the last file i had opened on the desktop. (Right clicking on the screen does nothing.) So how do i repair this? Explorer's still listed in the default programs to launch upon start up. Is it a quick registry error i can fix?

at least i tried it on my back up system first...

Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Winlogon -> Add explorer.exe to "Shell".
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Ok I'll give that a try.

Ok I'll give that a try.

Comment

regedit entry

ok heres how the shell file looks before i've done anything to it: Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe

Should i move the Explorer.exe text some where after the \WINDOWS\ segment? or maybe change it to all caps?

Comment

Remove C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe from the list. That file is also normally in windows\system32 folder.
          Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
          Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by Deimoz View Post
            ok heres how the shell file looks before i've done anything to it: Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe

Should i move the Explorer.exe text some where after the \WINDOWS\ segment? or maybe change it to all caps?
            C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe after Explorer.exe is a typical trojan. Install some antivirus and scan your system.
            Remove C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe from that registry value, only Explorer.exe should remain.

Comment

regedit fix

Editing that fixed this "vist-issue." but dt won't run and other stuff like adobe reader and itunes give errors upon execution now. the virus win32.parite.b was found upon a scan with kaperski. which ever download mirror i used is prolly not the best to use.

Comment

fix recap

thanks for the fix and swift replys. I still want to use it with vista however, but im not shure if i want to go through this fix again. this sounds like a pretty common install issue. is it? any suggestions here are appreciated.

Comment

Nope, not a common issue at all. In fact, in your case, it likely only happened because of the virus. Where the virus came from is anyone's guess.

Comment

'no explorer.exe'

i had this problem with vista, i'd logon..then black screen with just a cursor and task manager etc. I looked at about 20 sites to try and fix, nothing worked. I downloaded SP2 for vista but the 'readiness' .msu thats needed first if u encounter problems wouldnt install in safemode or in the ghost-like normal mode. So I blindly shot at processes in task manager hoping i would catch a virus or maybe a firewall.nothing worked. then on a fresh boot into ghost mode i saw the svchost.exe files jumping about in memory usage, so i ended 4 of the bigger ones.. heypresto full explorer working!! installing the pre-sp2 'readiness' msu now.. hope it works to stop this happening again.

Comment

Working...
                    X