Wrong ICON showing up in Computer for drives in Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong ICON showing up in Computer for drives in Vista

The wrong icon is showing up in Computer for my drives even though an autorun.inf should be showing something unique.

I remember getting this in W2k with CDs and there was a cache directory or reg entery you deleted to fix it. It happens when you have disks (CDs, removable media etc) that all have the icon called the same thing (usually autorun.ico) and windows caches it somewhere and stops updating it so every
    time you insert a new disk that should display an icon called autorun.ico it takes the one from the cache and not the disk.

the USB flash drive that I have plugged in now has an autorun.inf file:-

[autorun]
    ICON=autorun.ico
    LABEL=16GB USB Device

where autorun.ico is a little skull and crossbones but in My Computer it shows up as a graphical number 3 which is the autorun.ico file on my USB mobile modem (that is NOT plugged in just now).

It has cached that file somewhere under the name autorun.ico and will now always display that until I delete it.

If I could find a CD/DVD that had an icon called autorun.ico on it and put that in the DVD drive it would show up with the '3' as well.

I have found this but its not that as there are no <drive> enteries under those keys.

Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    Navigate to the following location:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ DriveIcons \ <drive>

Backup the branch to a file, and then delete the <drive> key
    Navigate to the following location, backup and delete the <drive> key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Applications \ explorer.exe \ Drives \ <drive>

I thought I would post it on this site as mentioned above the first time I saw it was with CDs and I guess the people here have more to do with CDs than other forums.
Working...
X