No announcement yet.

SPTD 1.60 supports all versions of Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a new kernel, true. But there have been changes made to the kernel. If it was just "Windows Vista" (as others have claimed), then everything would work right out of the box with no changes required.

Until they get to the "RC" stage (Release Candidate), many things could be changed/added/cut. Even then, they'll usually go through a minimum of 2 RC's before they launch the final version, which is why it's unlikely we'll see Windows 7 until 2010.

Given that official launch is a year away or more, why worry about it now? I'd rather they spend time developing new updates to make it work more efficiently with Vista/XP.

Comment

IMHO, the "public beta" is sent out so that developers can make their software work right, and be right on time when the final is out....

Comment

You're right, and I have no doubt the devs are looking into it, but don't expect a version to be released with support for Windows 7.

Comment

The problem with this "lazy" approach (not even looking at the problem because its in beta) is that people will look for alternatives and may be equally content with them. Thus, DT loses potential customers.
          I could understand this is Win7 was vastly different from Vista but since almost all other drivers are compatible I have a feeling the fix would be quite simply. In addition many WinXP-customers are hungry for a new non-Vista OS so in the next months the beta and RC versions of Win7 are likely to get very popular.

So it might make sense to spend a few hours to look into the problem, maybe it really is a quick and dirty fix. It's not like people expect full Win7 support but it would be nice if at least the core functions were working.

Comment

I have been testing Windows 7 X64 for a day or so and i have the same issue. but looks like someone else got to it before i did. haha well drop me a message when they fix the issue

Comment

Saying that Win7 won't be released until 2010 just shows ignorance about the product. I run it on all 3 of my daily use systems, and for Christ's sake, even my wife is running it on her laptop.

Win7 Beta 1 compares to most other products' RC2 in terms of stability. MS is planning on releasing this as gold code in a matter of months, not years.

Just something to chew on. Sitting on one's laurels and saying "we won't touch it because it isn't RTM" is a good way to get run out of business when your competitors already have a product that works and people are switching to it because they are forced to.
              Last edited by Blazkowicz; 22.01.2009, 18:29.

Comment

im also now on windows 7 (so much more stable then vista and so many more nice features)

every time i load windows i get an error about daemon tools not being compatable (i updated from vista) i decided it must be a problem with the free verson so came here to buy the pro and thought i better check the forum to see if any special install instructions are needed for windows 7. im glad i did as i would of paid for something i cant use !!! now the beta as i understand it will go till august 2009 that either means deamon tools need to get their finger out and support it ("dont support beta operating systems" come on thats what the betas are for so that developers can build thier apps and test them) or i need to find an alternative with more active developers i really dont want to do that, i like daemon tools and have used since the pre gready days when toolbars werent bundled in and developers provided thier best work free with out using the heres a free version heres a paid verson aproach

Comment

Since a public beta is finally out, devs will take a look into soon. But first DuplexSecure needs to release a build of SPTD for Windows 7.
                  Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                  Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
                    im also now on windows 7 (so much more stable then vista and so many more nice features)

every time i load windows i get an error about daemon tools not being compatable (i updated from vista) i decided it must be a problem with the free verson so came here to buy the pro and thought i better check the forum to see if any special install instructions are needed for windows 7. im glad i did as i would of paid for something i cant use !!! now the beta as i understand it will go till august 2009 that either means deamon tools need to get their finger out and support it ("dont support beta operating systems" come on thats what the betas are for so that developers can build thier apps and test them) or i need to find an alternative with more active developers i really dont want to do that, i like daemon tools and have used since the pre gready days when toolbars werent bundled in and developers provided thier best work free with out using the heres a free version heres a paid verson aproach
                    You've been using Daemon Tools s for many years. Since before they bundled adware (and then removed it). In all those years you didn't buy the product which has been actively supported and updated and yet you call them greedy for wanting to get paid for their work?
                    Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

you forgot about him installing a beta (effectively free) operating system too... cheapskate heh
                      my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

If you want a virtual CD mounter for now try Pismo File Mount. It doesn't say it works for windows 7 but I have had no problems mounting my ISO images and installing software or watching movies. Using this till Daemon tools is fixed for Windows 7.

Comment

Here's a list of problems with everyone's comments here.
                          #1) Win7 is a beta, and has yet to receive many of its changes (it is basically vista atm)
                          #2) There will be many new things before it's released.
                          #3) This OS is not free, you must have Vista SP1 or you cannot install it.
                          #4) This beta build, 7000, will probably be the last until further leaks occur.
                          #5) Win7 is intended to be released by the end of 2009 (Qrtr4)
                          #6) Win7 is not more stable than vista, there are still many issues with different software, etc. However, it is still a high-end beta product.
                          #7) Applications with active developers are slowly being developed now into working with Win7 fully. Even Kaspersky has been working with Microsoft.

I suggest all of you keep up on whats going on.

Comment

Originally Posted by Molcga View Post
                            #3) This OS is not free, you must have Vista SP1 or you cannot install it.
                            That's wrong, you don't need Vista SP1 to install Windows 7.

It's open to everyone and free, you can get it here:

Welcome to Windows 7

Microsoft gives you a key and it works until August 2009.

Comment

Molcga:
                              #1. Features are most likely completely set, so not many changes besides bug fixes, so now is the time for 3rd party developers (e g Daemon Tools) to report problem. So it is a very good time to start doing this, which the DT deveopers are doing as well Better to wait for something stable so do not push DT developers too much. (keep up the good work)
                              #2. Se #1
                              #3. Win7 beta 7000 is free to use with a time limit(1st August). Anyone can download it (Download the Windows 7 Beta) and get a personal product key. You can choose to do a clean install or an upgrade, it is up to you. Of course if you want to go with upgrade, you need Vista to upgrade, but most people do clean install on test systems. If you have been fooled to buy the beta, then report this. If you can buy it as media being sent to you, I guess there is a small fee, but download should be free.
                              #4. Historically (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008), sometimes one or two release candidates are also released to the public after the beta(s) when it is close to RTM for developers/IT pros to make sure there are no problems after beta fixes.
                              #6. I run Win7 on all my computers since the 7000 beta came out and I have had not stability problems. Newer and more drivers included should probably make it better for most people. I have only had a problem with Acrobat Reader that don't open PDF files inside IE windows, but FoxIT does a good job or Acrobat Reader standalone open. I have had a few applications that won't install(e g DT), but then I have been warned and cannot install them, so I have (been forced) to avoid stability problems.
                              #7. Yes. All companies want to be ready, else customers switch to other similar products that work today.

Comment

Molcga:
                                #1. Here is some more interesting reading from Win7 team:
                                Engineering Windows 7 : Our Next Engineering Milestone
                                ...we announced that the Beta test in early 2009 would be both API and feature complete...
                                ...With the RC... However at this milestone we will be very selective about what changes we make between the Release Candidate and the final product, and very clear in communicating them. We will act on the most critical issues....we expect very few changes to the code... We often “joke” that this is the point of lowest productivity for the development team because we all come to work focused on the product but we write almost no code. That’s the way it has to be—the ship is on the launch pad and all the tools are put away in the toolbox to be used only in case of the most critical issues...

Comment

Working...
                                X