SPTD 1.60 supports all versions of Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Molcga View Post
    Here's a list of problems with everyone's comments here.
    #1) Win7 is a beta, and has yet to receive many of its changes (it is basically vista atm)
    #2) There will be many new things before it's released.
    #3) This OS is not free, you must have Vista SP1 or you cannot install it.
    #4) This beta build, 7000, will probably be the last until further leaks occur.
    #5) Win7 is intended to be released by the end of 2009 (Qrtr4)
    #6) Win7 is not more stable than vista, there are still many issues with different software, etc. However, it is still a high-end beta product.
    #7) Applications with active developers are slowly being developed now into working with Win7 fully. Even Kaspersky has been working with Microsoft.

I suggest all of you keep up on whats going on.
    I suggest that you not make glittering generalities about something that you haven't really tried out. As another user below points out your mistakes, I am not going to do so again, but please keep the commentary factual.

The main problem is that of driver development - though not to the extent that we saw in Vista. Added to that fact is the proliferation of 64bit builds as they are much more easily available to the general public - and you have a small (but much smaller than with Vista) fiasco of some (read:a very limited set of certain) apps not working with Vista.

Originally Posted by henrikfm View Post
    That's wrong, you don't need Vista SP1 to install Windows 7.

It's open to everyone and free, you can get it here:

Welcome to Windows 7

Microsoft gives you a key and it works until August 2009.
    Yup - and you need Vista SP1 to *upgrade* - else you can do a clean install no matter what OS you currently have.

Originally Posted by r4v3n View Post
    Molcga:
    #1. Features are most likely completely set, so not many changes besides bug fixes, so now is the time for 3rd party developers (e g Daemon Tools) to report problem. So it is a very good time to start doing this, which the DT deveopers are doing as well Better to wait for something stable so do not push DT developers too much. (keep up the good work)
    #2. Se #1
    #3. Win7 beta 7000 is free to use with a time limit(1st August). Anyone can download it (Download the Windows 7 Beta) and get a personal product key. You can choose to do a clean install or an upgrade, it is up to you. Of course if you want to go with upgrade, you need Vista to upgrade, but most people do clean install on test systems. If you have been fooled to buy the beta, then report this. If you can buy it as media being sent to you, I guess there is a small fee, but download should be free.
    #4. Historically (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008), sometimes one or two release candidates are also released to the public after the beta(s) when it is close to RTM for developers/IT pros to make sure there are no problems after beta fixes.
    #6. I run Win7 on all my computers since the 7000 beta came out and I have had not stability problems. Newer and more drivers included should probably make it better for most people. I have only had a problem with Acrobat Reader that don't open PDF files inside IE windows, but FoxIT does a good job or Acrobat Reader standalone open. I have had a few applications that won't install(e g DT), but then I have been warned and cannot install them, so I have (been forced) to avoid stability problems.
    #7. Yes. All companies want to be ready, else customers switch to other similar products that work today.
    To be fair, it was already mentioned earlier in the post that the DT devs are (most likely) already in contact with the M$ devs to get this resolved....

Originally Posted by r4v3n View Post
    Molcga:
    #1. Here is some more interesting reading from Win7 team:
    Engineering Windows 7 : Our Next Engineering Milestone
    ...we announced that the Beta test in early 2009 would be both API and feature complete...
    ...With the RC... However at this milestone we will be very selective about what changes we make between the Release Candidate and the final product, and very clear in communicating them. We will act on the most critical issues....we expect very few changes to the code... We often “joke” that this is the point of lowest productivity for the development team because we all come to work focused on the product but we write almost no code. That’s the way it has to be—the ship is on the launch pad and all the tools are put away in the toolbox to be used only in case of the most critical issues...
    Interesting read.

FWIW, though, all the folks "clamoring" for a DT release - your noise is not going to make it one bit faster - until the DT team is ready to release DT and stand behind the product as working on W7, they won't - and as for me, personally, I'd rather have a *working* DT than a not working / partially working DT for W7.
    http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

It's not my place to give advice, but it is my place as a customer that either has to pay (for PRO) or has to put up with adds (for LITE) to request features and support that he needs.

Either way you are kind of missing the point. People are more satisfied with the performance and the features of the Windows 7 (be beta as it may), more than any other Windows and aren't likely to be comming back to any other Windows. Since Windows PC support is cardinal part of my job I see this among (lets call them) novice, intermediate and even advanced users (and a lot of them). Most people are not interested if it's beta, they just need Daemon Tools and are ready to pay for it. And once they go PRO... :wink: For now those people are using UltraISO/PowerISO/MagicISO, WinMount, Virtual Clone Drive or something else. The point is - they are not using Daemon Tools, which LITE or PRO means less customers, less market, less profit.

Comment

Daemon tools problems

Same problem with Daemon Tools on Windows 7 Beta test version .

I hope to repair this problem compatibility with win 7

I`m waiting a pach/fix for this ...

Thanks !

Comment

Novice users shouldn't be running a beta OS, intermediate users should never run a beta OS as their primary OS, and advanced users know to expect compatibility issues with software when running a beta OS.

Sorry, I just call them like I see them.

Comment

Realy? You're telling people what they should do or not. Thing is they decide what to do. They might kind off take it personaly and decide to go with something else than Daemon Tools. Anyway - have it your way.

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
            and advanced users know to expect compatibility issues with software when running a beta OS.
            and besides users don't have compatibility issues with software, but rather compatibility issues with DT devs. and their unwilligless to grant support for an operating system that is quite used.
            Last edited by Blazkowicz; 03.02.2009, 22:18.

Comment

Jito463 is not an official

Just wait for a DT version which supports Win 7 - Beta exists so devs can add support.
              Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
              Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
                Jito463 is not an official

Just wait for a DT version which supports Win 7 - Beta exists so devs can add support.
                That's great news, especially for Micro$oft since some people might be holding of beta testing W7 until there is a compatable version of DT. I know I have 2 additional laptops I want to put W7 on but I can't without having DT on them.

Comment

Ahem you guys said they shouldn't work on fixing daemon tools until the rc? Well guess what? There isn't going to be a beta 2 or rc (they said they MAY release a RC internally) its predicted to be released in June/July.

Comment

I have installed a lot of apps and not one has failed in Windows 7.

I'm pretty sure that if DuplexSecure realease SPTD that works in Windows 7 then DT will work with no modification.

Comment

Originally Posted by homerjnick View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that if DuplexSecure realease SPTD that works in Windows 7 then DT will work with no modification.
                      Exactly...

The source of the problem is SPTD drivers...

till they do a working version for Windows 7, DT is unable to make a Win 7 compatible vesion either...

Let's make some pressure on the SPTD crew...
                      SPTD For windows 7 - DuplexSecure-Forum

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                        Until they get to the "RC" stage (Release Candidate), many things could be changed/added/cut. Even then, they'll usually go through a minimum of 2 RC's before they launch the final version, which is why it's unlikely we'll see Windows 7 until 2010.
                        Mark my words, Windows 7 will be out in April/May this year. They are working internally with the RC as we speak.

Comment

People, I have a report that actualy someone did manage to install DT 4.30.3 under Win 7 after the last hotfix from Microsoft and under XP compatibility mode. I will be visiting the person in question in 1 or 2 days and I'll see for myself.

Meanwhile I'll be trying to duplicate the result on one of my machines.

Comment

I'll be marking them, because I don't see Windows 7 getting released until closer to the end of this year, or maybe even 2010. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but I doubt it.

Comment

While IT-pros (like me) are reporting that Windows 7 is a stable, fast and a welcome OS - even though in beta, Daemon Tools will not run on it and devs report they will not release a version.
                              All of my friends - even not very techy ones - are fresh installing Win7 beta because it by experience with very very few glitches is more stable and faster than Vista ever has been.
                              Many are, as I type, saying goodbye to WinXP which is considered the best best client OS from M$.

For my part, I am saying goodbye to (my old friend) DT after all these years and trying one of those recommended alternatives to DT as posted earlier in this thread.

Comment

Originally Posted by slogpeis View Post
                                While IT-pros (like me) are reporting that Windows 7 is a stable, fast and a welcome OS - even though in beta, Daemon Tools will not run on it and devs report they will not release a version.
                                All of my friends - even not very techy ones - are fresh installing Win7 beta because it by experience with very very few glitches is more stable and faster than Vista ever has been.

IT pros may report that, but wouldn't install it on work machines.
                                Also devs haven't reported there will be no DT version for Windows 7, it will just take time.

The other recommendations can't emulate any copy protection
                                Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                                Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
                                X