Daemon Tools GUI causes massive memory leak in the Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools GUI causes massive memory leak in the Kernel

Is anyone else having this issue? I am having it on 2 different Vista 64 machines. The note I sent support had the following description.

I have been chasing a fatal issue of a major memory leak in the kernel.. I had been watching kernel size grow to about 6 gig before I had to reboot the machine. I had suspected the Highpoint raid drivers, but different versions of the drivers had no effect. I found out that the kernel has a consistent memory leak when using Daemon's GUI interface. On a freshly booted machine, the kernel uses about 300 Meg of real storage. After running a while it might use 330 meg. I can use the shell interface to mount drives and there is not effect on the kernel, BUT the instant I start the GUI, BOOOM - A major jump in the size of the kernel. The kernel will now continue to grow until the machine requires a reboot to get performance back. I have 8 gig on the machine, but it gets pretty poky running with a 6 1/2 gig kernel.. I left the machine running overnight without the Daemon Gui and the kernel is stable under load w/out the tool. I was curious and ran this tool on another Vista64 machine, mounting an image from a network share and I got the same results, massive jump in the size of the kernel. Something in Daemon's GUI is causing a major memory leak in the kernel.
    Frustrated DT customer

Mounted and played several games (through agent AND main program) on my gaming pc, no slow downs (Vista x64 SP1).

BTW which DT version are you running?
    Last edited by Blazkowicz; 30.12.2008, 00:06.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

4.30,0303 Standard edition. At this moment my kernel is 2.5 Gig...
      Frustrated DT customer

Comment

My home PC has DT Pro on it with Vista Ultimate x64. I'll check tonight and see if it happens, but I don't recall any issues previously.

Comment

I am unable to reproduce this behaviour.
          Vista 64 SP1 - DT Pro Advanced
          Memory use barely changes with GUI open or closed.
          Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

Same here. I tested a while back after posting, but forgot to post my results. I cannot replicate this issue, either. The only difference is I'm running DT Pro Advanced, not Standard, but the GUI is the same for both.

Something else in your system must be causing the conflict.

*EDIT*
            I remember now why I forgot to post my results. That was the day that lady slid out in front of me and caused an accident. Kind of took priority, and I forgot about this.

Comment

Daemon tools is definitely one of the issues..

I have 3 machines running Vista 64 and the biggest leak is on one of the macnines. I believe it is the way that daemon tools interacts with onother piece of software used by the kernal. (a disk driver) that is the problem. I have tried updating and backdating all drivers with ne diffence in results... Using the vendor drivers vs. Microsoft drivers, afgain no difference. Regardless, it never happens until Daemon tools is run. Saying "it is something else" is sort of like saying "I would not have hit the pedestrian if they were not on the sidewalk when I drove over the sidewalk" It is true, however the root cause would still be that someone drove on the sidewalk.
              Frustrated DT customer

Comment

While that may be true, it appears only you are driving on the sidewalk at the moment
                Do you know which driver is conflicting?
                Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

Silly response

Originally Posted by Kitna View Post
                  While that may be true, it appears only you are driving on the sidewalk at the moment
                  Do you know which driver is conflicting?
                  Not too swift a response. The analogy is about the software driving on the sidewalk. I guess you did not get it. If you have nothing to add why post?

I upgraded to the latest version of the tool. Still a massive memory leak. the fist startup eats about 2.3 Gig, and after that each additonal start up eats a much smaller amount of memory. The problem is worst on a Intel X48 based setup. Second worst on an Interl 945 based motherboard and not at all on an Nvidia based motherboard. I am looking at other products to replace Daemon tools since they are not doing anything to address the issue.
                  Last edited by kfede1@gmail.com; 31.01.2009, 17:19.
                  Frustrated DT customer

Comment

Have you tried contact DT Support by e-mail? This is obviously something unique to your setup, but they may be able to help you track it down. If this was a widespread problem, we'd see more reports of this than just yours.

Comment

Forwarded to devs.
                      Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                      Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
                      X