Imaging a DVD-ROM (not a movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging a DVD-ROM (not a movie)

I need to back up some MSDN subscription discs onto my business file server. Some of the discs are bootable, and some are dual-layered (guessing based on capacity).

What software is good for imaging DVD-ROM discs (not movies)? Do these discs need to be decrypted like DVD movies? How can I tell which discs need to be imaged and which discs are OK to drag-and-copy the files from? Are MSDN discs known to use any form of copy-protection?

that depends on the protection scheme. generally, it's always better to create images rather than file copy.

BUT -
    some dvds (Tron2.0, ...) are protected by securom-safedisc stuff. currently, no program is capable of creating working images of these titles
    Mounty Bob strikes back

Comment

MSDN doesn't use any copy protection. If the discs are bootable, then using file-copy method will not preserve boot info.

Comment

But how do I make an image of a DVD-ROM disc? I thought about using DVD Decrypter, but I think it assumes you are trying to decrypt a DVD. Which brings up my other question: Does CSS encryption apply only to DVD video and not to DVD-ROM discs?

Comment

You can use e.g. Alcohol - DVD images are cooked/2048 bps, so file copy wouldn't safe hdd space anyway.
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

CSS encryption applies only to Video DVDs (.VOB)

Comment

Working...
            X