Detecting correct LaserLock version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scan the CD with BurnOut.
    It should tell you the Laserlockversion.
    BurnOut
    -the Open Source protection scanner-

Comment

and burnout reads 16 bit executables now? ;p
      my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

yes, it does
        BurnOut

Comment

BurnOut detected "LaserLock", no mention of any particular version, however.

Comment

Originally Posted by gf7 View Post
            yes, it does
            actually thats kinda incorrect isn't it.. it looks for MZ, then scans for a string, there's no executable processing per-se, which is what i meant in my question

Comment

Originally Posted by gf7 View Post
              Scan the CD with BurnOut.
              It should tell you the Laserlockversion.
              BurnOut is able to detect what is described as "LaserLock" and "LaserLock Marathon" if I remember correctly what the protections.txt suggested. It did detect "LaserLock", but does it imply any specific version, however?

Another question: Is there a LaserLock version which people never have been able to work around that you know (that is, one from the 1990s, given my CD was released in 96-97)?

Comment

well 32 bit laserlok is relatively simple to crack, however such discussions are frowned upon on the forum, 16 bit is a bit trickier, but its essentially the same check, where it looks for the developers name in the laserlok.in file, and does other small checks, it should be emulatable with daemon tools, but because its 16 bit, you might have problems running it on xp etc.. it definately will not work on an x64 based system, the version number also isn't always stored in the exe (if anywhere), so tracking the exact version might be a bit tricky

Comment

@evlncrn8: Right, but it works as you can see. But shouldn't we stay on topic?
                  BurnOut

Comment

i am, but i wanted the question answered properly, and with my other posts i did stay on topic and 'it works, as you can see' isn't exactly accurate either, i can make a text file which will be reported as laserlok too, which is why i asked you about processing 16 bit exe's

Comment

Originally Posted by evlncrn8 View Post
                      it should be emulatable with daemon tools, but because its 16 bit, you might have problems running it on xp etc.. it definately will not work on an x64 based system, the version number also isn't always stored in the exe (if anywhere), so tracking the exact version might be a bit tricky
                      Interesting clarifications, but I run it (the original) in a simulated DOS environment using Virtual PC anyway, so the XP, x64, x32 etc. issue is not a problem. The core seems to be that this particular kind of laserlock is an excessively tricky one to get around.

Comment

so, making the image and 'forwarding' the daemon tools drive in virtualpc etc doesn't work? does it see anything in the drive, or does it give a 'put original disk in drive' style error?

Comment

Originally Posted by evlncrn8 View Post
                          so, making the image and 'forwarding' the daemon tools drive in virtualpc etc doesn't work? does it see anything in the drive, or does it give a 'put original disk in drive' style error?
                          It's about half a year since I actually attempted to solve the problem, so I may have forgotten a few details. However, I tried both to burn the image on an empty CD as well as mounting the image as a virtual drive. The content is detected, I was able to browse the files, categories of the copy, but not to run the program properly. As far as I remember, I focused more on burning it to the empty CD than mounting virtual representations, so there might be the potentiality that I did not try a particular solution (a specific type of burning setting associated with a specific image creator) re the mount method, but should it matter? I tried e.g. Clony, DaemonTools etc., ridiculously many, since different programs provide for varying burning/image settings. Hence, my idea is to find out precisely what type of laserlock I'm struggling with.

Comment

Working...
                          X