This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incompatibility between Daemon Tools & Zone Alarm Extreme

This may be appropriate to include as a sticky note, either here or under the "Common Problems and Solutions" forum.

There is an incompatibility between Daemon Tools Lite (versions 4.30.3 and 4.30.4; possibly others) and Zone Alarm Extreme Security (version 80.298.035; possibly others). No such incompatibility has been observed between Daemon Tools Lite and Zone Alarm Security Suite.

If an attempt is made to install DT while ZAES has ForceField enabled and the associated service (ForceField IswSvc) running, the installation fails with the error message, "Internal setup error. Error code 14. Contact support." Disabling ForceField within ZAES and stopping the ForceField service enables DT to be successfully installed.

After installation, if DT is run while ZAES has ForceField enabled and the associated service (ForceField IswSvc) running, DT responds with the error message, "This program requires at least Windows 2000 with SPTD 1.51 or higher. Kernel debugger must be deactivated.", and then terminates. As with the installation, disabling ForceField within ZAES and stopping the ForceField service enables DT to be run successfully.

As of this writing, Zone Labs is aware of the problem, but would only say that some changes would be required in ZAES, DT, or both.

- John

iNCOMPATIBILITY Zone Extreme and Daemon

I have tried to install Daemon Lite by disabling ForeceField in ZA Extreme and even tried by shutting down ZA all together and I still get the Error 14 at install.

Comment

Disable the IswSvc Service

As I said in my original post, you need to disable the ForceField service (IswSvc). Simply shutting down ZAES isn't sufficient.

- John

Comment

what the hell?

geeez JLMiller,

Read what danico55 said again... sssloooowly,

I have tried to install Daemon Lite by disabling ForceField

This was just to let you know that he did do what you suggested and then he went on to say...

and even tried by shutting down ZA all together and I still get the Error 14 at install.

...to let you know that what you suggested did not work for him. The fact he has been back perhaps may suggest he did not do so but that remains to be known, if ever.

The fact remains though, that despite your efforts in getting across how stupid this guy is (obviously not reading the one sentence he wrote that actually seems quite clear), the problem exists whether or not Forcefield is active or not.

I could download and install after numerous attempts yes - but I could not run it. I still get "This program requires at least Windows 2000 with SPTD 1.51 or higher. Kernel debugger must be deactivated."

I also then tried to shut it down completely after that and seemingly, just like Nortons and the like, there are processes still running in the background regardless of whether or not you shut it down from the system tray.

Going to task manager and also shutting down the process does not work either as it keeps switching back on automatically even though it is switched off in ZA and the process ISWSVC has been ended. Here's a screen shot for you...

I actually had to uninstall it completely to use Daemon Tools. It's no great loss - ZA Security Suite is fine for my needs on this computer for now and I have Daemon on many other computers as well and have done for years.

As for ZA, if they are moving in the direction that say Nortons has with so many 'invisible' constriants, at times acting like its very own malware, they will invariably lose customers as this is what many will not want.

Comment

Back at you...

Geez, jastadash -

If you and danico55 had read the *entirety* of my post "sssloooowly", you would have both observed that it's not sufficient to disable ForceField and/or shut down ZAES. The associated service (ForceField IswSvc) must be stopped. Shutting down ZAES doesn't affect the ForceField service. So danico55 did *not* do all of what I suggested - which is, indeed, quite clear. If he had, he would have enjoyed success.

As you correctly observed, however, uninstalling ZAES works, because in doing so, the ForceField IswSvc is removed.

- John

Comment

Looks Like ZoneAlarm Fixed the Problem

On June 13, 2009, I received an update to the Zone Alarm Extreme Security application executable. Apparently, ZA considered it a maintenance release, as there was no change in the version number. I have verified that the previously-installed DT Lite now executes properly with ZAES' ForceField enabled and the associated service (ForceField IswSvc) running.

I have not taken the time to verify that DT will install with the updated ZAES, but everything indicates that it should.

Hats off to ZA for responding to the issue.

- John

Comment

Great news
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Sorry, but I don't understand.

JLMiller wrote:
                an update to the Zone Alarm Extreme Security application executable. Apparently, ZA considered it a maintenance release, as there was no change in the version number. I have verified that the previously-installed DT Lite now executes properly with ZAES'
                I downloaded again the latest version of ZAES 8.400.020 (02 jul 2009). And you won't believe - NOTHING changed ! ZA IS NOT working properly with DT 4.30.0305. Sorry to say that, but I must refuse from one of these products

Comment

Im already tired af all this ZAES sht. Changed Extreme Security for PRO version - all is OK, Im happy now

Comment

Guess I Spoke Too Soon

Yesterday, I tried using DT on my wife's laptop, after installing the latest version of ZA Extreme Security on it. It failed with the same error message as before. At this point, I have no idea why it behaves properly on one of my systems and not on the other. But to avoid further hassles, I've turned off ZA's ForceField and disabled its IswSvc on both of my systems. It's clearly not ready for prime time.

I received an inquiry from ZA about the issue, and documented my experience to them in detail. I haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully, they'll address the bug.

Other than this exasperating annoyance, I've been pretty well satisfied with ZA. If I had it to do over again, I would obviously not buy ZA Extreme Security, but just stick with ZA Security Suite and save a few bucks (and the hassle). And of course, I find DT invaluable.

- John

Comment

I don't have ZA but its still not working.

Comment

Check Your Security Suite

LolMuffins -

Based upon other posts I've seen, ZA Extreme isn't the only security suite that doesn't play well with DT. To determine whether your firewall or anti-malware application has any incompatibility with DT, try completely uniinstalling it, making sure that any associated services are also removed. (Consider using Revo Uninstaller, which does a pretty thorough post-uninstall cleanup.) Then see if DT works. If it does, you'll have confirmation that it is the source of the difficulty.

Then reinstall your security application and sift through the options, disabling various components and services until you find the culprit.

This is a pretty laborious effort, but I know of no other way to smoke out the source of the problem. The good part of it is that when you discover the cause, it'll come with a nice sense of self-satisfaction.

Good luck.

- John

Comment

Well I can't even install it, I'm getting the error right after i press "Next" on the first install window.

Comment

Install Gets Corrupted, too

Originally Posted by LolMuffins View Post
                            Well I can't even install it, I'm getting the error right after i press "Next" on the first install window.
                            Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, ZA Extreme also breaks the install process of DT. Try installing with your security suite completely removed, and things may work. Then reinstall your security suite and do all the manual fiddling to home in on the specific cause of failure.

- John

Comment

Easiest Workaround That Works For Me

Firstly, it was this forun and thread that led me to the solution to a 6 month long problrm. Thanks JLMiller.

Initial install of DT Lite hung. First time, I removed ZAES, put in DT Lite, and reinstalled ZAES . Pain in the butt, and it lasted only until I rebooted.

Second try: successfully installed DT lite from Diagnostic Startup, using msconfig. Install worked, but DT Lite was blocked from launching after the SECOND normal reboot.

My best solution: I had installed DT Lite as above. I rebooted normally, closed DT Lite's error message, and closed ZAES at the systray icon. I then terminated ISWSVC.exe (and ISWMGR.exe for good measure) using Windows Task Manager, launched DT Lite, and relaunched ZAES.

On checking the services, the two disabled services were now restored. And the two scrappy softwares are getting along like newlyweds. And will, I assume, until the next reboot.

Thanks again, JLM.

S/

Comment

Working...
                              X