Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I allready put this info in another post but I too had the same problem with DT and ZA Security Suite (not Extreme) I am using Vista Home Premium and XP Pro on 3 computers.

I did not allow ZA Security Suite to install the ZA toolbar which is the ForceField, in the Add/Remove Programs it will not say ForceField its says ZA Toolbar (if you let it install).

The Forcefield feature was added for the new version of ZA 9xxxx which just came out the old version 8xxxx didnt include Forcefield.

So it seems if this is your problem uninstall ZA, reinstall it but dont let it install the ToolBar and you should be okay, I spent a whole day trying to figure this out and like I said this works for me.

Once again I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite 9.0.114.000 there seems to be 3 versions of 9xxxx all of them give the same error if you install the ToolBar/Forcefield.Version 8xxxx didnt come with that.

Comment

Ongoing ZA Annoyances

ZoneAlarm is well aware of this problem, but still hasn't fixed it. I just installed their latest release of ZASP (v9.0.114.000) and the problem persists - but there's more.

Even though I had previously turned off ForceField and disabled the associated service, installing the new version re-enabled the service (but at least it didn't turn ForceField back on). When viewing the service's properties, I was able to disable it, but could not stop it. I had to reboot, after which the service was, indeed, disabled and not started.

Although I've been otherwise pretty satisfied with ZA, this is getting pretty annoying. When my license expires, at the least, I'll fall back to ZASS, but at the same time, will take a hard look at other security suites.

- John

Comment

Apparently ZA toolabr on firefox cause it to work very slowly, so it was a good idea to disable that toolbar on Firefox, and later remove it form system for the sake of DT and Firefox

Comment

Hi I had to create an account here to share my fix, until either DT or Check Point Software can figure this out.

I recently "upgraded" Zone Alarm Extreme Security (for Windows 7 compatibility) and ran into this problem.

What I noticed is that Forcefield actually uses a separate installer/uninstaller from the rest of Zone Alarm.
          In Windows 7, the directory is:

C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField

In that directory you will find all the Forcefield program files, including an uninstaller.
          Run the uninstaller to rid your computer of it.
          The toolbar will be gone, as well as the service, though the section in the Zone Alarm Client will still be visible (it won't have any true functionality though; it's really gone).

You can now have a happy relationship between ZA Extreme Security and Daemon Tools Lite.

Oh and, yes, I'm running the latest version of both programs:
          DTLite v4.35.5 and ZAES v9.1.008.000

By the way, the benefits were instantaneous, i.e no reboot needed, and also I noticed my overall memory usage decreased by about 100 mb's, even though I always had the Forcefield function ticked off.
          That service must be doing some bloated stuff in the background no matter how it is set.

Anyway, I ramble.
          Hope this helps some people, and hopefully as long as Forcefield is going to cause problems Checkpoint keeps it as a separate installer in the future, so we can get rid of it.
          I never used it anyway

Comment

Just one more thing (I had to wait for my message validation there, sorry), this does not negatively affect the functionality of ZA Extreme Security, only the Forcefield, so you shouldn't worry about uninstalling it unless it is something you rely on.
            (I'd suggest MSE or some other malware product that may not interfere with DT)

In hindsight I shouldn't have upgraded to Extreme Security from PRO, but I hear ZAPro comes with forcefield now anyway, so eff it.

Comment

@PlumbDrumd - You're Da Man

Originally Posted by PlumbDrumb View Post
              Hi I had to create an account here to share my fix, until either DT or Check Point Software can figure this out.

I recently "upgraded" Zone Alarm Extreme Security (for Windows 7 compatibility) and ran into this problem.

What I noticed is that Forcefield actually uses a separate installer/uninstaller from the rest of Zone Alarm.
              In Windows 7, the directory is:

C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField

In that directory you will find all the Forcefield program files, including an uninstaller.
              Run the uninstaller to rid your computer of it.
              The toolbar will be gone, as well as the service, though the section in the Zone Alarm Client will still be visible (it won't have any true functionality though; it's really gone).

You can now have a happy relationship between ZA Extreme Security and Daemon Tools Lite.

Oh and, yes, I'm running the latest version of both programs:
              DTLite v4.35.5 and ZAES v9.1.008.000

By the way, the benefits were instantaneous, i.e no reboot needed, and also I noticed my overall memory usage decreased by about 100 mb's, even though I always had the Forcefield function ticked off.
              That service must be doing some bloated stuff in the background no matter how it is set.

Anyway, I ramble.
              Hope this helps some people, and hopefully as long as Forcefield is going to cause problems Checkpoint keeps it as a separate installer in the future, so we can get rid of it.
              I never used it anyway

I had to create an account here to share my thoughts on PlumbDrumb's post...

Brilliant

Uber easy fix that has solved multitude of issues. Well done.

Comment

It's Only Getting Worse

After dumping ZA Extreme and switching back to ZA Security Suite, DT worked again. I provided ZA a detailed and complete description of the issue. Recently, they issued an update to ZASS to version 9.1.507.000, which, as noted by others, includes their new ZA Browser Toolbar. The toolbar is dependent upon their IswSvc, which appeared with the new version, along with the incompatibility with DT.

I disabled the browser toolbar (it's about as useless as nipples on a boar, anyway) and disabled IswSvc, after which DT is once again fully operational.

I consider this to be downright outrageously arrogant behavior on the part of ZA. Even after being fully informed that one of their products precipitated incompatibility with DT, not only did they fail to rectify the problem, but actually had the gall to propagate it to other products.

Comment

I have the same problem but not with the suite.
                  I had Zone Alarm Pro and Daemon Tools Lite running FINE.

I updated Daemon Tools Lite to the latest as of 5-26-2010 and everything worked FINE.

I updated Zone Alarm Pro to ...
                  ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.1.008.000
                  TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
                  Driver version:9.1.008.000
                  and Daemon Tools disappeared from my task bar.

When booting-up, there's an error message that this version of Daemon Tools requires AT LEAST Windows 2000.
                  I'm running XP-Pro SP2.

Firefox used to have tool bar choices for a Daemon Tools tool bar and a Zone Alarm Pro tool bar. The ZAPTB is gone. There is a Daemon Tools tool bar choice.
                  If I select it, the Zone Alarm tool bar appears.

Under Add, Remove Programs in Control Panel, there is a Daemon Tools tool bar but not a Zone Alarm Pro tool bar.

If I attempt to reinstall Daemon Tools Lite, there's an error and the install halts.
                  I disabled Zone Alarm Pro and reattempted to install Daemon Tools Lite only to get the same error message and halted install.

Oddly, one of my SATA HDDs that is either 60GB, 80GB or 100GB is listed as 0.98 GB with 996MB of free space. The free space listed may be correct but the HDD's capacity is wrong.

I ran the uninstall for the ZA Forcefield tool bar and sure enough, the Daemon Tools tool bar disappeared from my list of choices in Firefox. I have NOT rebooted. My HDD capacity is still listed wrong in My Computer. DAEMON Tools Lite v4.35.6 (with SPTD 1.62) reinstalled successfully. It noted REINSTALL in the install window. So, it saw that my original install was there. Perhaps if I had rebooted, the original install would have worked now that ZAForceField has been uninstalled.

I had noticed that Firefox has been running horribly slow lately. I hope it's back to it's speedy self now that ZAForceField is GONE!

Thanks

Comment

No solution there

I would say the problem is the toolbar you dont even need to uninstall it if you just disable it in registry, forcefield is still working. But i dont understand since the toolbar were also in the foreign versions of za too and with regedit you could made dt and za forcefield work together. But now the toolbar seems to mess up things from this point it could be a malware too. This way even za shows that everything is working however iswsvc can not be found in the task manager so its not even running at this point.

Comment

i meant za lite version:9.2.057.000

Comment

I am surprised that Daemon tool developers have not reacted yet to this.

ZA issue with Daemon Tool is caused by a bug in DT that can cause your system to crash, this is known issue since ages!

ZoneAlarm is not compatible with DAEMON Tools. A bug in DAEMON Tools creates a conflict with ZoneAlarm that can cause a BSOD crash.
                        Readme for ZoneAlarm

Comment

How comes I'm using latest DT with ZoneAlarm and haven't had any single BSOD?
                          Only their toolbar is causing problems which blocks SPTD.
                          Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                          Peace Through Power

Comment

DT conflicts with Forcefield (ZA component also integrated in the toolbar). This is found to be an issue in DT (bug).

I am surprised that after all this time no DT developer looked at this or at least reacted here.

Comment

Technically their Toolbar sets DT into some sort of debug mode and DT doesn't allow that. That means the Toolbar is manipulating DT process. Result ForceField is conflicting with DT and not vice-versa.
                              Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                              Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by ZIPZAP View Post
                                I am surprised that after all this time no DT developer looked at this or at least reacted here.
                                http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f27/int...tml#post125516
                                I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Working...
                                X