Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DT Pro Adv NEEDS WinXP (x64) vIDE support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT Pro Adv NEEDS WinXP (x64) vIDE support!

what more can i say...

Daemon Tools Pro Advanced NEEDS to support virtual IDE devices in the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

it's 2009, 4GB+ of RAM in a workstation-class system is not a rarity like it was 10 years ago.

PLEASE don't make me choose between wasting 4GB of ram and going back to XP (x86) or losing the ability to play 1/2 my games because Vista (x64) doesn't work well with older (even not so older) games that use DirectSound (even when using Creative ALchemy...) or games that use 16-bit installers/launchers/etc

PLEASE, implement vIDE support in 64-bit Windows XP, I'm BEGGING you.

I voted no.
    Win 7 will be released to the public on October, 22.
    For MSDN, Technet, Volume-License subscribers it will be available on 06. / 07. August.
    So in my eyes there is no need to implement.

Comment

Support for NT6.x 64-Bit yes, but no for the previous Windows versions ...

Comment

oh man...
        not again, and again and again...

locotusofborg say it more then one time, there will never release a vide for xp x64...

Comment

I'm forced to say it again. We have no technical feasibility to implement full-fledged vIDE in Windows XP x64. And we don't plan to fix it now, because there are more priority problems and goals to date.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sway View Post
            I'm forced to say it again. We have no technical feasibility to implement full-fledged vIDE in Windows XP x64. And we don't plan to fix it now, because there are more priority problems and goals to date.
            Well, and why is it so difficult to compile driver for 64 bit? A bad type usage in sources?

Comment

Originally Posted by oder2 View Post
              Well, and why is it so difficult to compile driver for 64 bit? A bad type usage in sources?
              In my opinion it was laziness, so i had to change my OS to Vista x64 !
              You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
              sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

Partly translation of this post:
                Reason is simple but surely understandable:
                There are barely people using XP64. For us it isn't worth the extra effort for that OS.
                Therefore we also don't plan direct support for this (IMO rather poorly supported) OS in the future...

...In future there'll be also only rudimentary support for XP64.
                Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
                ...so i had to change my OS to Vista x64 !
                Must be hard to lay a dead birth to rest
                I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
                  What do you mean exactly with this phrase, Terramex?

Comment

Originally Posted by A.Hecka View Post
                    What do you mean exactly with this phrase, Terramex?
                    Bad support - even by Microsoft, barely appropriate 64bit apps + Vista x64 already well advanced at release of XP x64.
                    So for me personally -even if i had a Creative card- it would be nothing to say:
                    let's bury the dead (or at least use a multi-boot system).

P.S.: i'm confident older (and even not so older) games run pretty well on XP x86 without using the full 4GB
                    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Partly translation of this post:
                      You cant deny that Vista was horrible before SP1 and certain updates, and 32 Bit OS is so 2001...

I also cant deny that Vista now is more than great.
                      Last edited by Mystique; 30.07.2009, 20:13.
                      sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

I also cant deny that Vista now is more than great.
                        Really? I'm so waiting for Win7
                        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Me too, i hope it wont be a disaster like Vista, but for now it looks quite good.

Bad support - even by Microsoft, barely appropriate 64bit apps + Vista x64 already well advanced at release of XP x64.
                          So for me personally -even if i had a Creative card- it would be nothing to say:
                          let's bury the dead (or at least use a multi-boot system).

P.S.: i'm confident older (and even not so older) games run pretty well on XP x86 without using the full 4GB
                          What do you mean with the Creative Card, was there some incompatiblity with Vista or XP x64 ? Cause i couldnt say that i had some with my X-Fi.
                          Last edited by Mystique; 31.07.2009, 11:27.
                          sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

What do you mean with the Creative Card...
                            I was refering to the issue in Vista the threadstarter was mentioning;
                            ask him, or research what Creative ALchemy is needed for.

Comment

The reason i have such interests in XP 64 are numerous.

My list of games @ ign.com

For starters, there are many (yes, many) games that flat-out won't run on Vista 64 for whatever reason. Some won't install, some will install but won't successfully launch, and some will install, and launch, but the problems the audio (DirectSound/ALchemy) render the game either broken (no 3D sound, sounds cut off before finishing, etc) or significantly unplayable (audio+video synchronization issues).

Secondly, i totally agree XP 64 when it debuted years after the original 32-bit version of XP didn't have a lot of support, but that was then and this is now years later and there's a lot more support/software/drivers/etc available for XP 64 now than there was then due primarily in part to:

Windows Server 2003 (x64) and Windows XP (x64) share the same codebase. They share the same service packs. They share the same stability & reliability. [reminiscent of Windows 2000 Server/Workstation era]

I wasted $200 on a copy of Vista Ultimate (x64).
                              If Vista wasn't such a flop, and Win7 wasn't right around the corner XP 64 wouldn't be 'a dead bird' or whatever quaint terminology you want to use to describe it. I still maintain a couple hundered XP based system because Vista was the flop that it is...

I'm sorry the DT Devs are having/had troubles/headaches coding a 64-bit kernel compatible vIDE driver for XP/2K3, i really am.

I haven't used Win7 yet, not even once, from what i've read it 'may' be a more viable OS than Vista, we shall see. It was a shame that with Vista/2K8 for every feature Microsoft added to the OS i liked they also removed a feature that was in XP that i liked. There was/is a lot to like/dislike in v6 of the Windows Operating System.

I also wasted/invested $200 on a copy of DT Pro Adv. (5 yr. upd. pkg.) so we shall also see there as well...

Lastly, thank you DT Dev. team. You didn't create the first optical drive virtualization application i used but you did so far create the best, some of my games still sit in their jewel cases on my shelf 10 (yes TEN!) years later in flawless condition because i don't have to go through the vicious cycle of 'insert, install, remove, insert, play, remove'... in fact, every server i maintain has a copy of Deamon-Tools Lite on it, as well as ISO images for every piece of software needed by that network/server, remote administration has never been easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X