Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: daemontools for linux

New User

Lol, well I'm afraid I'm really just a computer newbie. It took me long enough just to learn how to use Linux, learning how to program is another issue completely. The sad truth is I don't know if I'm bright enough (at least in this area) to really be all that good at programming. I'm a photographer by profession and only turned to computers about a year and a half ago as a way of furthering my main interests. Perhaps it might be a natural progression, in two or three years after using linux I might end up programming without ever really knowing I'm doing it. But I think I'm probably a long way from there yet. I know what your saying though, that if I wanted something so bad, why complain, why not just do it myself? Well that's not the point, I wasn't complaining, I freely admit I am no programmer, I was just noting how cool it would be. As for the suggestion that was made to adapt the loopback device method of mounting an ISO image, well I guess that might be done, but it still wouldn't be as cool as Daemon tools - and the anti-copy protection does come in handy for a lot of things, particularly since with WineX you can now run Windows games in Linux.
    Open source? Well yes, but (not that I could do much with it if it was) is Daemon tools open source? Or is that a part of the problem as to why it has been said that it won't be ported?

Q

Deamon tools will never be open source, imo. If it were, sony/macrovision would be able to find all kinds of annoying ways to blacklist daemon tools.

Default Somewhat real Daemontools for linux

This is the closest i've found to a similar program to daemon-tools in Linux world:
    http://robert.private.outertech.com/...lcd/index.html

And if you think about it, on Linux you only burn CDs bin .bin or .iso formats so this will cover (hopefully) every image you produce on Linux.

In what concerns to making Daemon-tools opensource and porting it to linux:

Btw, isn't providing opensource about copy protections illegal? I know that Transgaming (WineX producer) provides his source code but doesn't on topics related to CD protections.

So it could be possible to open daemon-tools up if you just open the souce related to the core emultaion, which is the most needed, the problem is if that core is portable enough.

New User

Default The page is disabled then what to do.

When I try to access the page to get daemon tools for linux, I found out that the page has been disabled. so what to do? Or any one else can show me where to get an altenative program used in linux apart from cdemu?

Master

If you're talking about the link in the post above yours, that WAS CDEmu.

Experienced User

I think he refers to the link in the first post of this thread, which returns a 404 error. But that doesn't surprise me, since that post is over 4 years old.

Master

Ah, I didn't see that.

Experienced User

http://packages.debian.org/stable/mi...ools-installer

@ olivnt

I think you dont need a "collection of tools for managing UNIX services" ^^

If you try to mount an Iso-Image at Linux, try this

mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro /path/image.iso /mnt/mountpoint

Mounting mdf files at this way should also be possible.
    MySysProfile

Die Klasse Objekt erbt von Chuck Norris

http://www.gentoo.de/

Jebus guys ... think out of the box here!
    Have you ever tried the stuff below?

Use VMWare Workstation and make a Windows drive. Install Daemon tools on it, and then grab nfsAxe (Windows NFS server software) and make the virtual drive avail via NFS. The on the linux box mount the Daemon tools drive via NFS (easily done!) and enjoy it under WINE or Cedega or w/e you want to use.

NFS really works with all kinds of copy-protections? Somehow I doubt that...
    OK... Cedega/Wine also don't work with all copy protections yet - at least from what I know...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast