No announcement yet.

daemontools for linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he refers to the link in the first post of this thread, which returns a 404 error. But that doesn't surprise me, since that post is over 4 years old.

Comment

Ah, I didn't see that.

Comment

@ olivnt

I think you dont need a "collection of tools for managing UNIX services" ^^

If you try to mount an Iso-Image at Linux, try this

mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro /path/image.iso /mnt/mountpoint

Mounting mdf files at this way should also be possible.
        MySysProfile

Die Klasse Objekt erbt von Chuck Norris

http://www.gentoo.de/

Comment

Jebus guys ... think out of the box here!
          Have you ever tried the stuff below?

Use VMWare Workstation and make a Windows drive. Install Daemon tools on it, and then grab nfsAxe (Windows NFS server software) and make the virtual drive avail via NFS. The on the linux box mount the Daemon tools drive via NFS (easily done!) and enjoy it under WINE or Cedega or w/e you want to use.

Comment

NFS really works with all kinds of copy-protections? Somehow I doubt that...
            OK... Cedega/Wine also don't work with all copy protections yet - at least from what I know...

Comment

Isn't daemon tools's driver supposed to take care of that? NFS just does the job of reading from what's read off the vcd through Daemon tool's driver and sending it off to your linux box.

Comment

Wait ... even a better idea...
                you can share the Daemon Tools drive in your VMWare workstation's windows install, and then use Samba to access it... wouldn't that kick-ass-tic?

Comment

But isn't NFS only for file-share?
                  Copy-Protections require at least access per sectors...

iSCSI could work but even that probably wouldn't work for all protections (e.g. StarForce newer versions)...

Comment

umm does nfs or smbfs allow per sector read ... ?

I'm thinking of mount -t smbfs or mount -t nfs

if either of those allows, then we're in business... I think...

Comment

No neither, NFS or Samba would work. The only viable option is what ghost already suggested: iSCSI.
                      Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
                      In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Comment

Linux ftw

Originally Posted by Andareed View Post
                        Have you tried wine, vmware or any other windows emulator. I have heard that wine has made some favorable progress in their emulation.
                        Point 1 wine does not properly support things like tsp or other copy protection schemes. so mounting a image is useless if its got protection.

Point 2 mounting a image in linux will NOT allow for disk 2 to be inserted during install. that image would have to be mounted in wine's env. duno how to get wine to play nice that way would probably require conversation between you and them. once disk is mounted and setup.exe is run it will not open/mount another disk untill setup.exe is complete. some setups have protection writen in them that if it is not the original no install.

Comment

Working...
                        X