Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Difference between Sub-channel data?

Experienced User

Default Difference between Sub-channel data?

Hi there.
    Does anyone know what the difference is between these two types of sub-channel data?

And which one is the best for different copy protections? Latest SecuRom or StarForce, for example?

Thanks in advance.

Experienced User

Interesting question, I also would like to know the answer.

Administrator

Compact Disc subcode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Full 96 bytes of subchannel data rarely contain any valuable data and were used mostly on karaoke (CD+G) discs only.
    In most other cases (eg old Securom) 16 bytes are enough to dump (this means P and Q channels only).

Experienced User

Full 96 bytes of subchannel data rarely contain any valuable data and were used mostly on karaoke (CD+G) discs only.
    Does it mean, that 16 bytes is better to use even with the newest SecuRom?
    What about cases where you're not sure? Is it more "fail-proof" to gather 96 bytes of subchannel data?

I mean collection "more" subchannel data would not harm, and the dics would be emulated just as good as with 16 bytes of subchannel data?

Customer

Just stick at the standard New SecuROM (and regarding your first post Starforce) profile settings.
    Subchannel "data" won't harm, but for CDs with those protections you don't need it anyway.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Administrator

Since 2002 Securom does not use subchannels anymore and dumping it is only waste of disc space.

Experienced User

Thanks for your help, Development.
    Is there any way to determine if there's some relevant/usefull subchannel data on the compact disc?

Quote Originally Posted by Development View Post
    Since 2002 Securom does not use subchannels anymore and dumping it is only waste of disc space.
    If i remember right, i had some games where i had to use subchannel data, otherwise it wouldn't recognize the disc. I think the securom was a little older than 2002
    I cant check which games it was, i've thrown many of them away (). But i think this is irrelevant to the topic.
    Last edited by ifvrt12 : 29.11.2010 at 21:24

Experienced User

Anyway, thanks for the answers. I got what i needed.